Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS  (Read 29230 times)

Jimmy Owen

Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
One of the things about the 80's Pyramid was that after a while, the celebs weren't there just to plug a current project.  They either enjoyed doing the show or were good at it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
If I could have my choice between a household name such as, say Brittney Spears...or a secondary actor from Law and Order SVU who could play the game well...I'd go with Dann Florek every time.

/Brittney Spears is a fair-chested bimbo.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JMFabiano

« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:53 AM »
As for Davies, I'm with others who say I'd take him on a revival before the folks at Fremantle or Endemol. I thought the new Chain Reaction was fine format-wise...it was the contestants that I couldn't take. Well okay, the set was kinda lame too...

What revivals did End-em-all do?  Or are we talking about them in general?

And is it me, or is the Fremantle hate so early 2000s (just 2000s now?  We are in the 2010s after all...)?  Temptation and $1MPW aside (and the latter is a questionable strike depending on how you look at it), they aren't quite the "force" they used to be.  Feud is better than ever in many fans' eyes, and people could do worse than the job they do on TPIR and LMAD...yes, each has its changes, and I know some people out there like to gnash their teeth loudly for every teeny, tiny one...but I still see much of the games I like continuing to exist.  

Back on topic...Davies started to score some doubt from me based on Pilot #2...yes it was for cosmetic changes mostly, but it still sounded like a letdown compared to Pilot #1.  I guess old school fan that I am, I was rooting for the classic look, coupled with the classic format which seemed intact.  I'm more worried about the contestant casting in a potential series, and have other word games they tried to bring back (Lingo, Password, and Chain) as proof.  Either there's something to be said about our nation as a whole, or people are looking for the wrong things (see: the next sentence.  That and some GS contestant coordinators seem to just want the next big clip on a blooper show or whatever).  Either way, it just seems that intellectual shows just don't work anymore.  Partially due to what 99% of everyone in the TV business does nowadays; i.e. go for looks, youth, and personality over talent.  Didn't Chain -- hey, who revived that again? -- even have an extreme age limit or something like that?   Geez, when I think of things like that, I am astounded, and thankful, that Betty White is allowed to overcome ageism and continue to be a big star.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:10:08 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Neumms

« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
Either way, it just seems that intellectual shows just don't work anymore.

Yet Jeopardy rolls on. I know what you're saying, but in the right situation they should. They may not work on broadcast daytime--although what was the last one tried, Super Password? They may need exposure someplace other than GSN. But in the multi-channel universe, there's a place for a well-mounted Pyramid.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
Didn't Chain -- hey, who revived that again? -- even have an extreme age limit or something like that?
Proof or Not Real.
Travis L. Eberle

MTCesquire

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
Didn't Chain -- hey, who revived that again? -- even have an extreme age limit or something like that?
Proof or Not Real.

I can't provide proof but I do remember reading that they didn't want any contestants above the age of 40.  I doubt I can find the casting notice for it now but I can try to search.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »
Proof or Not Real.

I can't provide proof but I do remember reading that they didn't want any contestants above the age of 40.  I doubt I can find the casting notice for it now but I can try to search.
There were at least a couple members here who were contestants. One of them should be able to confirm or deny.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I could almost swear there was an episode of 80s Pyramid where someone attempted to pass on a 7-required round and either was denied or was permitted and lost instantly at the end of the last word.

That sounds about right.  I'm sure they were permitted to pass, but if they answered the last word without first "going back" and answering the passed word, the round (and in your scenario) game would be over, even if time remained on the clock.

Unrealtor

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
I can remember at least one 80s episode where seven out of seven on the sixth category was needed for a tie and Dick said in advance that, if a word was passed, the clock would continue after the seventh word and the receiver could guess the passed word but the giver could not say anything.

I can remember the last category ending abruptly on a cuckoo but never a pass.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
I can remember at least one 80s episode where seven out of seven on the sixth category was needed for a tie and Dick said in advance that, if a word was passed, the clock would continue after the seventh word and the receiver could guess the passed word but the giver could not say anything.

They changed the rules if the person had to get seven to stay alive?  I'm nearly certain I've seen rounds where there was a pass and the team managed to get the other six and the round ended, even if time remained on the clock.