Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS  (Read 29213 times)

Neumms

Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
Except wasn't that the exact reason that Donny gave for not doing it?

I don't think Donny would admit it's because he's too dumb to play the game he's hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »
99.9% of the time, no. He'd just run onstage as if the studio were on fire, about 0.000001 seconds after time ran out
I'd like to remind you there are math teachers in the room.  
Also, numbers have meanings too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »
Good things about Donnymid:

1. The gag category names
I love the idea of the joke topic title. I really liked it on Win Ben Stein's Money, when they had some leeway because they were on basic cable. "One Hump or Two?" doesn't belong on the main game pyramid.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
but I think the Teresa Ganzels and Charlie Sieberts drag down the show.
How so? Any more than Coolio and the Pine Sol lady?

Exactly. At least Teresa Ganzel was better looking than the Pine Sol lady. If I recall correctly, Coolio played reasonably well, didn't he?

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

Taking into mind both my abysmal math skills and the fact that I didn't mean either number in the literal sense (file under "gets rid of 99.9% of germs")...

99.9% Almost all of the time, no. He'd just run onstage as if the studio were on fire, about 0.000001 seconds after the instant time ran out

That better?
Bobby Peacock

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
but I think the Teresa Ganzels and Charlie Sieberts drag down the show.
How so? Any more than Coolio and the Pine Sol lady?

Exactly. At least Teresa Ganzel was better looking than the Pine Sol lady. If I recall correctly, Coolio played reasonably well, didn't he?
Exactly what? I don't get what your problem with the C-list stars is, other than "they're there, and they're not as famous as the bar I've set for game show guests". It is well established that the game is used with contestants and guest stars. 80s Pyramid went with proven game players who could put on a good show for five episodes, collect their scale, and come back later. Bob wasn't going to pay extra to get a "big name."
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
Good things about Donnymid:

1. The gag category names
I love the idea of the joke topic title. I really liked it on Win Ben Stein's Money, when they had some leeway because they were on basic cable. "One Hump or Two?" doesn't belong on the main game pyramid.
One thing that I hoped would happen from being in the same corporate family as J! is themed categories, e.g., LLOYD and BRIDGES. In 1987, when Smokey Robinson and Gladys Knight played the $100KP for a week, either SMOKY ROBINSON or GLADYS KNIGHT was a category. I thought it would have been clever to have both.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
I do remember there were some stars who did Cullen pyramid that didn't do the daytime show.  Freddie Prinze comes to mind most.  Maybe that was Viacom's call.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
Dibs on the spinoff show.

vtown7

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
I really don't care who they get (as in how-far-down-the-alphabet-lister-stars), as long as they can play the game well and they don't resort to the Donnymid way of giving them clues in advance for the WC.

For Squares, I understand as that's part of the bluffing technique, but for Pyramid it was horribly out of place.

Neumms

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
Exactly what? I don't get what your problem with the C-list stars is, other than "they're there, and they're not as famous as the bar I've set for game show guests". It is well established that the game is used with contestants and guest stars. 80s Pyramid went with proven game players who could put on a good show for five episodes, collect their scale, and come back later. Bob wasn't going to pay extra to get a "big name."

I think if you're going to call people guest stars, they should be stars. The idea is to give viewers someone to care about. If they're not anyone who I recognize or who projects a fun and likable personality, I don't care. Exacerbating the problem is that by having them there, the host tends to play to the "star," so the contestants become interchangeable, too. I want the presentation to be as interesting as possible. If they can't get or won't pay stars, then the contestants should be the stars and the show needs to be hosted differently to play that up.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »
I think if you're going to call people guest stars, they should be stars.
Semantic point, but since you're being just as semantic:

On the '80s show, the verbiage was "Today's special guests are..." or "Our special guests this week...". Don't remember the word "stars" ever being used.

If they're not anyone who I recognize or who projects a fun and likable personality, I don't care.

Okay, but what I get out of this statement is "If I recognize them, it's okay if they're a dud," which comes off incredibly shallow, or "If I don't recognize them, if they're fun and likable, I will enjoy watching them," which is a fine candidate for the Captain Obvious Memorial Trophy.

Neither statement convinces me of the validity of your argument.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:25:43 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2011, 03:03:15 AM »
On the '80s show, the verbiage was "Today's special guests are..." or "Our special guests this week...". Don't remember the word "stars" ever being used.

If they're not anyone who I recognize or who projects a fun and likable personality, I don't care.

Okay, but what I get out of this statement is "If I recognize them, it's okay if they're a dud," which comes off incredibly shallow, or "If I don't recognize them, if they're fun and likable, I will enjoy watching them," which is a fine candidate for the Captain Obvious Memorial Trophy.

Neither statement convinces me of the validity of your argument.

Point taken on the first, but I'd say "special" is pushing it, too. I think your comments on the latter are beside the point. I don't say they should bring in famous people even if they can't play. I say if the "special guests" offer no entertainment value--no humor, no glamor, no unique charm or charisma--I'd rather see pairs of civilian contestants. Otherwise, why are "special guests" even there?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2011, 03:11:12 AM »
I think your comments on the latter are beside the point.
Then we're clearly so far apart on this that there's little point in continuing the discussion.

Otherwise, why are "special guests" even there?
I've already given my answer to this question a solid fifty posts ago.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:11:20 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
The idea is to give viewers someone to care about. If they're not anyone who I recognize or who projects a fun and likable personality, I don't care.

I'm with you - to a point.  There were some celebs that I couldn't stand watching but that could be counted on one hand.  However, just because I didn't watch "Benson" didn't mean that any time an actor came on the show I turned it off; I watched for the game.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:17:30 AM by TeppanYaki »