Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS  (Read 29214 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Millionaire
Do we know if Davies had a hand in the new format? Shoots that to hell, if so. (And he may not have. Just asking.)

Given my choice, I think I would choose M. Davies to mount the revival rather than leave it up to chance with the new guard of producers.
As would I. I'm just trying to look at it as a devil's advocate.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
I think you can cut out enough non-game kibbitzing to keep the original format in tact. We can already bet with near certainty that the fifth segment wrap-up won't be in a new version. I think insisting changes for whatever modern-day production reason makes one sound wise and evolving with the times, but it's not always necessary.
True, and for some reason, I'm surprised that with increased commercial time, a break before the post-mortem is pretty much extinct, although I like how Wheel does theirs with the teaser promoting the Wheelmobile/Jeopardy!, or a commercial thanking the hotel in whatever city they last visited. It doesn't need to be two minutes, but at least it offers Pat and Vanna a chance to catch their breath.

If Pyramid does indeed using returning champs, I'd argue even harder for a post-mortem, seeing as how the second Winner's Circle could be crucial in deciding who comes back the next day. If the contestant played in the first WC, then it's moot, but if the second player has to tie or beat $800 to come back, then yeah, take a break, even if it's nothing more than a :15 montage of winners, and the announcer telling you how to become a contestant.

IMO, it flows a lot better here, compared to just saying "Jim, you won $800 and the Sony Bravia HDTV, but Jane, you're coming back with $10,000! I'mAndyRichterthanksforwatchingwe'llseeyatomorrowkthxbai!"

As for Davies, I'm with others who say I'd take him on a revival before the folks at Fremantle or Endemol. I thought the new Chain Reaction was fine format-wise...it was the contestants that I couldn't take. Well okay, the set was kinda lame too...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:10:24 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »
Back to the timing issue, I can't remember but did Donny ever suggest possible clues for missed WC categories? I thought I read that he didn't as not to upstage the cluegiver, but I couldn't remember if he was the host who said that, or was it cut for time just like the :20 main rounds.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:13:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
If Pyramid does indeed using returning champs, I'd argue even harder for a post-mortem, seeing as how the second Winner's Circle could be crucial in deciding who comes back the next day. If the contestant played in the first WC, then it's moot, but if the second player has to tie or beat $800 to come back, then yeah, take a break, even if it's nothing more than a :15 montage of winners, and the announcer telling you how to become a contestant.
This was one of the things that was lacking on Pyramid. If the first contestant didn't win the winner's circle, then the only excitement was "is the eventual winner going to collect the $10,000 prize?" There was no coming back for another episode. Even if the first person won his half, if the other contestant won, then you have lost what could be a great moment: "You must win the $10,000 to come back tomorrow. Good luck." And if the second person reaches the pinnacle? That's terrific because everyone wins some cash, everyone comes back for another try at the money.

Unless someone has been back three or four times, I couldn't tell you who the carryover champion was, but the idea that you had something to strive for by way of another chance to play injected a level of excitement that one and done just can't match.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Good things about Donnymid:

1. The gag category names
2. The set (I know I'm gonna catch hell for that one, but I really did like Donnymid's set — particularly how the monitors rise in the WC)
3. John Cramer
4. It wasn't one of the 1990s pilots
5. When Donny wasn't screaming, he was a competent host

Bad things about Donnymid:

1. Everything else

Back to the timing issue, I can't remember but did Donny ever suggest possible clues for missed WC categories? I thought I read that he didn't as not to upstage the cluegiver, but I couldn't remember if he was the host who said that, or was it cut for time just like the :20 main rounds.

99.9% of the time, no. He'd just run onstage as if the studio were on fire, about 0.000001 seconds after time ran out, and scream, "OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH!" However, I believe someone on this forum recalled one time where he did offer "a pizza" as a post-mortem clue for the missed box "Things You Slice".
Bobby Peacock

Brian44

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »

On the few occasions I watched Donnymid, about all I ever remember Donny saying at the end of a losing WC round was, "Oh, oh, oh, you were SO CLOSE!!!!"

In the Davidson version, he may have ad nauseum told the celebrities, "Oh, those were such good clues!" and I don't remember him coming up with clues himself à la Dick Clark, but ISTR him occasionally fielding clues from the audience.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:48:45 PM by Brian44 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »

Absolutely agree - forgot about how Wheel does it, and you're right, it flows better.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
It's a bad idea, period. It wasn't a good idea on The Rich List either. I utterly fail to see why anyone would want to port that dog to another show.

I blanked out after the fourth or fifth time I heard "an unfinished list is unfinished business," so were there fistacuffs? Dirty looks? I don't disagree, but I think the Teresa Ganzels and Charlie Sieberts drag down the show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I think the Teresa Ganzels and Charlie Sieberts drag down the show.

The exceptional, competent players drag down the show? I think you're over-estimating abject star "power." Did it matter on VH1's "I Love The" shows when the contributor wasn't featured on a sitcom at the time? To the general audience, who was Michael Ian Black? I'm sure the Q rating on "The State" was through the roof and every 50-something woman knew who he was, but barring that...

-Jason

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »
but I think the Teresa Ganzels and Charlie Sieberts drag down the show.
How so? Any more than Coolio and the Pine Sol lady?
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
[The exceptional, competent players drag down the show? I think you're over-estimating abject star "power." Did it matter on VH1's "I Love The" shows when the contributor wasn't featured on a sitcom at the time? To the general audience, who was Michael Ian Black? I'm sure the Q rating on "The State" was through the roof and every 50-something woman knew who he was, but barring that...

When they're not funny or interesting, yes, they do. Michael Ian Black had talent and soon enough other outlets, but as "I Love The" became "I Love the Third Wednesday in March in 1982," the contributors became worse and worse. Hell, they're usually exceptional and competant on "Wheel of Fortune," but I don't want to watch the same people play over and over, especially if they're pretending to be celebrities.

It's hard to do regulars on a show with only two celebrities. The fun of "Match Game" and "Hollywood Squares" is that you had the mix.

Neumms

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
On the few occasions I watched Donnymid, about all I ever remember Donny saying at the end of a losing WC round was, "Oh, oh, oh, you were SO CLOSE!!!!"

In the Davidson version, he may have ad nauseum told the celebrities, "Oh, those were such good clues!" and I don't remember him coming up with clues himself à la Dick Clark, but ISTR him occasionally fielding clues from the audience.

Yeah, it was a lack of ability, not airtime. The "not upstage the clue-giver" is a load of crap. The kibbitzing is part of the fun, especially when, say, Vicki Lawrence took great comic umbrage to it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
Yeah, it was a lack of ability, not airtime. The "not upstage the clue-giver" is a load of crap.
Except wasn't that the exact reason that Donny gave for not doing it?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
[The exceptional, competent players drag down the show?
When they're not funny or interesting, yes, they do.

Oh oh oh, well that's an entirely different point. I would agree with wanting witty/interesting guests. I think it would actually be easier today to find competent players who are funny, yet still a credible "celebrity" for the audience, citing "I Love The" as a prime example of the type of people they could try to get.

-Jason

BrandonFG

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
When they're not funny or interesting, yes, they do. Michael Ian Black had talent and soon enough other outlets, but as "I Love The" became "I Love the Third Wednesday in March in 1982," the contributors became worse and worse. Hell, they're usually exceptional and competant on "Wheel of Fortune," but I don't want to watch the same people play over and over, especially if they're pretending to be celebrities.

It's hard to do regulars on a show with only two celebrities. The fun of "Match Game" and "Hollywood Squares" is that you had the mix.
Not sure if I follow. Clark's version didn't have regulars, in the Charles Nelson Reilly/Brett Somers/Paul Lynde sense, and they weren't needed for that purpose as Pyramid focused more on who can kick butt conveying clues. I don't mind them using a comedian like Michael Ian or one of the Comedy Central roasters, but if they're appearing to just crack jokes or practice their set for an upcoming comedy show, then I'd say they don't need to be on Pyramid.

Looking back at your post though, I think we actually agree more than I thought. :-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:43:43 PM by fostergray82 »