Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS  (Read 29238 times)

chad1m

Third Time's a Charm? Pyramid in Development for TBS
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
TBS & TNT announced their slate of programs in development today. TBS announced four shows, only one of which is unscripted: Pyramid hosted by 2010 CBS daytime candidate pilot host and sidekick to TBS's new poster child Conan, Andy Richter. This is what is listed from Turner:

Pyramid - Andy Richter, famed sidekick to Conan O'Brien, hosts Pyramid, a  modern-day take on the iconic game show that began as The $10,000  Pyramid. Contestants team with a celebrity partner to take turns  guessing words or phrases in a category. Pyramid comes to TBS from Sony  Pictures Television, Embassy Row and executive producer Michael Davies  (Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?).

Will 2011 be the year that some incarnation of the Pyramid finally makes it out of development and onto our TV screens? I hope so.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:05:09 AM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
We always have cause for concern when a press release uses the phrase "modern-day take".  Still, it sounds like the recent efforts have hewed pretty close to the original version, and there isn't a lot of reason to believe they'll introduce physical challenges or some such nonsense.  Cautiously optimistic, both for a pick-up and for something worthy of a pick-up.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
Ooh!  Instead of the "Mystery 7" and the "Double Dip" they'll have "describe these things that are messy while we pelt you with chocolate pudding"!
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
We always have cause for concern when a press release uses the phrase "modern-day take".  Still, it sounds like the recent efforts have hewed pretty close to the original version, and there isn't a lot of reason to believe they'll introduce physical challenges or some such nonsense.  Cautiously optimistic, both for a pick-up and for something worthy of a pick-up.
QFT. I'd be more than willing to give this a chance. Based on the pilots Davies has demonstrated that he seems to have a modicum of understanding as to what was broken with Donnymid.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »

I'd much rather see the words "Modern-day take" in a press release for Pyramid than any words or phrases that allude to the "Donnymid" series.

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
My concern is that this really doesn't seems right for TBS and their "Very Funny" brand- they did a pilot for Match Game and it didn't work out, and that was a better fit..

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
My concern is that this really doesn't seems right for TBS and their "Very Funny" brand- they did a pilot for Match Game and it didn't work out, and that was a better fit..
With Richter hosting, Pyramid could be reimaged to fit the "Very Funny" brand.  Let's wait until the show airs to judge.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
With Richter hosting, Pyramid could be reimaged to fit the "Very Funny" brand.
Are you kidding? Pyramid is not a comedy show. It's one of the most durable game formats but comedy it is not. It's been proven over the decades to work without "reimaging" or "a new take" or the artificial injection of comedy. If you want Hollywood Squares or Match Game, put on Hollywood Squares or Match Game. If you want a comedy vehicle for Andy Richter, develop a comedy show. It doesn't much matter if Andy Richter is the emcee of Pyramid because as we all know, people don't tune in for the comedy stylings of the emcee; they tune in to play the game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:11:19 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
Well, TBS does show the occasional movie and MLB games, so it's not 100% comedy, but it's close.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
Well, TBS does show the occasional movie and MLB games, so it's not 100% comedy, but it's close.

They did show the Twins trying to compete against the Yankees in last year's playoffs. Very funny, unless you live in Minnesota.

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:56:27 AM »

They did show the Twins trying to compete against the Yankees in last year's playoffs. Very funny, unless you live in Minnesota.

I'd like to laugh at that, but I'm too busy sticking my head in the oven.

-M

TonicBH

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
TBS & TNT announced their slate of programs in development today. TBS announced four shows, only one of which is unscripted: Pyramid hosted by 2010 CBS daytime candidate pilot host and sidekick to TBS's new poster child Conan, Andy Richter. This is what is listed from Turner:

Pyramid - Andy Richter, famed sidekick to Conan O'Brien, hosts Pyramid, a  modern-day take on the iconic game show that began as The $10,000  Pyramid. Contestants team with a celebrity partner to take turns  guessing words or phrases in a category. Pyramid comes to TBS from Sony  Pictures Television, Embassy Row and executive producer Michael Davies  (Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?).

Will 2011 be the year that some incarnation of the Pyramid finally makes it out of development and onto our TV screens? I hope so.

Michael Davies? This can only end in disaster. I can't put faith in that guy reviving that show without adding dumb gimmicks that just don't work.

Besides, Pyramid is cerebral and requires timing. Comedy is not that show's forte.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:57:10 AM »
Agreed - the show's not built for comedy. If Andy stays 98% all business like Dick Clark was, I'm sure he'd have some slack cut if he were to drop in an occasional comic reaction line to something done in play. And TBS could make a special variation for promoting the show. Pyramid on TBS. Very fun!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »
It's been proven over the decades to work without "reimaging" or "a new take" or the artificial injection of comedy.
It hasn't been proven for nearly two and a half decades.  I wouldn't be so sure that it can work in 2011 without "reimaging".

tpirfan28

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
QFT. I'd be more than willing to give this a chance. Based on the pilots Davies has demonstrated that he seems to have a modicum of understanding as to what was broken with Donnymid.
Considering "what was broken with Donnymid" is "everything", it shouldn't be that hard to fix.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"