Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fun With the USPTO  (Read 4418 times)

inturnaround

Fun With the USPTO
« on: December 01, 2003, 08:14:14 PM »
In the speculation thread, we're all debating just what GSN has up its sleeve regarding their supposed announcement later this month that will change their 2004 programming schedule. A possible answer is that they plan to change their name.

On a hunch, I went to the US Patent and Trademark Office website and searched for Game Show Network to see what they have registered.

Greek Games
Wintuition (Dead...abandoned in August)
Millionaire Madness (What was this?)
The Debating Game
Who Wants to be the Governor of California?
Hall of Lame (Don't recall this one either)
Get Schooled Tour
Cram!
GameTVI (Says it refers to interactive games, but it's been dead for a few years)
GameTV  (Dead)
Game TV (Still Live, but registered in 2001)
Games on Demand (Abandoned)
GSN (Still live, registered in 1997)

Abandoned or Dead means that they no longer wish to protect a certain trademark and, as such, don't plan to use it in the future.

I haven't been able to see if GSN has registered anything else under a different corportate name, but if you can do any better, please let us know what you find out.

Of course, this could all just be a big waste of time, but it's an interesting search engine.

US Patent and Trademark Office
Joe Coughlin     
Human

uncamark

Fun With the USPTO
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 09:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 08:14 PM\']In the speculation thread, we're all debating just what GSN has up its sleeve regarding their supposed announcement later this month that will change their 2004 programming schedule. A possible answer is that they plan to change their name.

On a hunch, I went to the US Patent and Trademark Office website and searched for Game Show Network to see what they have registered.

Greek Games[/quote]
Well, we found out either today or yesterday about that one.

Terry K

Fun With the USPTO
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 03:57:28 AM »
Its entirely possible that any trademarks are registered to Cronin, Boden, Sony, Liberty Media, or GSN's lawyers.  

I know when we go to find out what Pepsi's up to next, we've found they register trademarks under one of their other companies like Tropicana, Quaker, their attorneys, Frito-Lay, or some other company they own.

So, if you're gonna search the USPTO, I'd suggest looking under the obvious names like Boden, Cronin and so on...

Jumpondees

Fun With the USPTO
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 06:29:20 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 08:14 PM\'] Millionaire Madness (What was this?)
 [/quote]
If "Greek Games" is on this list as a recent entry.... I think "Millionaire Madness" may be the name that GSN is going to use for it's 10-hour marathon of WWTBAM in January.

According to tvgameshows.net , the term "Millionaire Madness" is used to describe a 10-hour marathon of WWTBAM in January where GSN will air all 7 eps of the show where the million is won....and there is supposed to be a GSN Interactive tie in where someone could win $1M or other prizes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:35:28 PM by Jumpondees »

inturnaround

Fun With the USPTO
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 07:02:07 PM »
Well it's listed on the website as:

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services; namely, conducting contests

So, that may very well be it. It was registered in September.

Also, GSN has now registered the trademark "World Series of Blackjack". That show premieres next year.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

Fun With the USPTO
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 07:19:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 06:29 PM\']

According to tvgameshows.net , the term "Millionaire Madness" is used to describe a 10-hour marathon of WWTBAM in January where GSN will air all 7 eps of the show where the million is won....and there is supposed to be a GSN Interactive tie in where someone could win $1M or other prizes. [/quote]
 All seven of the episodes they have that feature million dollar wins. My guess is they haven't acquired the episodes of the last two winners, Bernie Cullen and Kevin Olmstead(they recently picked up another 87 or so episodes of the Regis run)