Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let the speculation begin...  (Read 9668 times)

Matt Ottinger

Let the speculation begin...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 11:34:13 AM »
It's remarkable how many of these guesses wouldn't qualify in the slightest as a major announcement which will have an effect on the 2004 schedule.

My money would be on a major acquisition, probably TPIR.  I further predict that within an hour of finding out which episodes they've picked up, half a dozen of you will complain that they should have chosen different ones.  

(For the record, I counted at least ten DIFFERENT members complaining to one degree or another about the Bullseye episodes they showed.  You guys refused to be satisfied.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:35:33 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 11:44:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 09:34 AM\'] I further predict that within an hour of finding out which episodes they've picked up, half a dozen of you will complain that they should have chosen different ones.  
 [/quote]
 I'll take it a step further and suggest that AFTER the bitching and moaning, what said acquistion starts airing, those SAME half-dozen will be clawing all over each other to be the first to post spoilers on asinine minutae or write bad recaps.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 12:02:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 11:34 AM\'] It's remarkable how many of these guesses wouldn't qualify in the slightest as a major announcement which will have an effect on the 2004 schedule.

My money would be on a major acquisition, probably TPIR.  I further predict that within an hour of finding out which episodes they've picked up, half a dozen of you will complain that they should have chosen different ones.  

(For the record, I counted at least ten DIFFERENT members complaining to one degree or another about the Bullseye episodes they showed.  You guys refused to be satisfied.) [/quote]
 You hit the nail on the head, Matt.

That's exactly my thinking, too - if TPiR ever DOES come back to the GSN schedule, inevitably there will probably be a limited number of episodes, and the bitching continues ad nauseum.

As I've said before, I'm from the side that is just glad to *have* a network...Even if it's episodes that are run through the cycle over and over again...

ITSBRY

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 12:26:36 PM »
You are so far off that's its not funny.

Possibly correct, but the thread did suggest speculation.  I have a feeling that this might be something more major than an aquisition, but we will see.  

GSN has finally acquired some name recognition, so a name change would be stupid IMO, but I'm saying that it is within the realm of possibility...even if they just start calling it "GSN" as opposed to "Game Show Network".  Hey...maybe the screen bug will be smaller!  :-D

Look at the schedule and tell me that they are not showing more classics, as opposed to originals.

I didn't say that the balance of originals was higher...I said they've been shifting more and more towards non-classic stuff.  There are lots of new originals and non-traditional game shows airing on the network now as opposed to two years ago when it was 95% classic.

GSN has been very upfront about wanting to explore more non-traditional shows.  I just think this "major" announcement might be something along those lines.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 12:29:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 11:34 AM\'] It's remarkable how many of these guesses wouldn't qualify in the slightest as a major announcement which will have an effect on the 2004 schedule.

My money would be on a major acquisition, probably TPIR.  I further predict that within an hour of finding out which episodes they've picked up, half a dozen of you will complain that they should have chosen different ones. 

(For the record, I counted at least ten DIFFERENT members complaining to one degree or another about the Bullseye episodes they showed.  You guys refused to be satisfied.) [/quote]
If it's anything post 1991, I'll bet you will hear a lot more complaining.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:30:07 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

calliaume

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 01:35:16 PM »
My money would be on a major acquisition, probably TPIR. I further predict that within an hour of finding out which episodes they've picked up, half a dozen of you will complain that they should have chosen different ones.

Steve had noted last week Bob Boden had said CBS is very protective of TPIR; they're the stumbling block, not Fremantle, from what I gather.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

But at the same time, what else could it be?  Except for us megageeks, very few people are going to care if the Grundy titles are acquired.  Unless it's a long-assumed "lost treasure" (the original Fleming run of Jeopardy?  Split Second?  Concentration?), I can't imagine what else it might be.  (New programming doesn't seem to qualify.)

I guess I like speculating too.

aaron sica

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 01:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 01:35 PM\']
Steve had noted last week Bob Boden had said CBS is very protective of TPIR; they're the stumbling block, not Fremantle, from what I gather.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

[/quote]
I have a funny feeling it's TPiR....

I know what Boden had said, but my mind is veering off course and thinking of events in the news, and in sports, and when people don't confirm something.

Like last year, when Bill Parcells expressed no interest in coaching the Dallas Cowboys, (and was quoted as such), and look where he is now.

I think that GSN is pretty close to a deal with TPiR; it's just that neither of the two sides will confirm or deny.

And I too like speculation like this. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:00:16 PM by aaron sica »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 01:53:25 PM »
GSN has a history of harmless little white lies to throw the faithful off the scent.  If Bob Boden knew that TPIR negotiations were in the final stages and he didn't want to tell Steve Beverly that, a vague reference to stumbling blocks (as opposed to a firm denial) would be the approach to take.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 02:38:06 PM »
I will predict same day repurposing of TPIR in primetime (10pm Eastern, 7 Pacific)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 02:53:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 02:38 PM\'] I will predict same day repurposing of TPIR in primetime (10pm Eastern, 7 Pacific) [/quote]
 I think it will be classics that will air at 10pm (of TPiR), but repurposing is definitely not a bad idea.

I think something significant is definitely headed for the 10pm timeslot....We can't have the new 65 episodes of Lingo burned in a month...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 05:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 11:35 AM\'] I guess I like speculating too. [/quote]
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\' Dec 2 2003, 11:46 AM\']And I too like speculation like this. :) [/quote]
And there is not a thing wrong with speculation, so long as you're not setting yourself up for a fall. The problem is, the major speculators around here (and I'm not naming names, most of you could prolly compile a list that would be 90% accurate with mine) are the first ones screaming when they end up being wrong, or the first ones to berate GSN when they predict bad news and end up being right. If you're reasonable about it, and just leave it on a speculatory level, then more power to you.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\' Dec 2 2003, 11:53 AM\']If Bob Boden knew that TPIR negotiations were in the final stages and he didn't want to tell Steve Beverly that, [/quote]
...my respect for him would increase that much more. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 05:26:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 06:13:58 PM »
...my respect for him would increase that much more. :)
For who?

Boden or Beverly?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 06:14:42 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Radiofreewill

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 06:34:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 07:23 PM\'] I'm thinking reruns of "Illinois Instant Riches"....... [/quote]
 Nah; gotta be the first season of Ohio's "Cash Explosion" (before the Double Play format)/.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 07:37:18 PM »
How many of you want to bet (now that I just saw the thread) that it's simply the debut of "Games Across America?"  It's a major announcement (to GSN, anyway), and it will affect the 2004 program schedule (starting January 3rd!).

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm willing to bet this is what Boden was alluding to.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Robair

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 08:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 02:38 PM\'] I will predict same day repurposing of TPIR in primetime (10pm Eastern, 7 Pacific) [/quote]
 Good idea, J.O. Makes tons of sense. In that case they may also get the catalog back.

But the NBC "Classic Concentration" vibe is also real strong. I got the gut it'll either be TPIR or Conc.
--Robair