Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What GOOD has GSN done ?  (Read 5195 times)

J.R.

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« on: December 02, 2003, 02:54:01 PM »
Okay, I am seriously getting sick to my stomach at the saturation of all this hatred and negativity towards GSN. I want to focus here on the GOOD AND POSITIVE aspects of our little network here.

I want no "but's" or "but now's". Just state what you like about the network.

I'll go first: Besides just existing. GSN has a very nice selection of programs, a lot of variety.

There's always something good to watch on GSN. If nothing good is cooking on "Food Network", HBO is showing a movie I don't like, or "History Channel" is doing yet another doc on Hitler. I always turn to GSN for something good and I'm rarely disapointed. (I don't like to stick in a tape of my stuff too often, so they don't get stale)

GSN Originals 1998: Jep!, Throut and Neck, Love Buffet
GSN Originals 2003: Whammy!, Lingo, Russian Roulette

Yeah, I think they've gotten a lot better. They're using actuall sets now. I've seen shows from GSN pre-21st Century. Just a host in front of a Croma Key Screen, with a couple phone players.

I could go on, but I don't want to say everything. GSN is a wonderful service to me and a good source of, as John Davidson would say, "Great Entertainment"

Three Cheers to Game Show Network !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Jay Temple

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 05:14:17 PM »
They've kept Bill Cullen on TV for almost a year now.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 06:02:27 PM »
As much as people on this board whine, they have increased the variety. I, too, remember the pre-21st century originals, and must say that the originals of the last year and a half have been worth watching. Even though I can't stand Friend or Foe, it offered a $20K budget, much better than some of the stuff of the late 90s GSN shows.  Also, as much as people on this board whine about the episode cycles repeated so much, I remember a certain time when all people did was ask when GSN would air Press Your Luck. You got your wish.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chuckwooleryfan

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 12:54:23 AM »
The moaning and complaining isn't as bad here as it is on other boards (which I won't mention due to integrity issues), but I definitely think the good that Rich Cronin has done for GSN has outweighted his weak points.

For instance, if it wasn't for Rich, we would never see classics like Let's Make a Deal, Press Your Luck, Hollywood Squares with Peter Marshall (no longer on), and a few others (like Trivia Trap for a couple months and Bullseye for one day). The previous GSN masterminds couldn't create one decent original at all, with Hollywood Showdown being a notable exception. Now, you have shows like Whammy, Lingo, Russian Roulete, and (as much as I hate to admit it) Friend or Foe that have raised the bar for how new game shows can be good and entertaining.

Trust me, had Rich not come on as the new CEO for the network, there would either be infomercials for all but six hours of the day or no GSN at all. Because nobody wanted to watch that much bad programming in one day.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to reason with these complainers. They can continue to vent out their frustrations if they wish. People like you, JRaygor, and me just simply take GSN's logic for granted and be thankful there is even a GSN to begin with. Plus, the simple fact that GSN is more recognizable than ever before is enough to give me the impression that Rich is going more good than harm for the network.

whampyl03

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 01:38:03 AM »
I know I'm one of the big "whiners" that fostergray82 mentions when it comes to GSN, and a enormous criticizer of the new "Game Related Programming" angle, but when it boils down to it, I guess I'm still quite happy with GSN.  And again, when it boils down to it, I guess Mr. Cronin has done a lot of good for the network.  After all, he brought to the network my favorite game show on this face of the earth (PYL), along with many other shows (Millionaire, LMAD, WLoD), and I do thank him greatly for that.  Do I agree with how he's running the network? Heck no; but I'm in no way the one who is in charge, and he is, so I guess all of my piddily-poor comments are useless.  However, all the good he's done for the network (And I'll be honest, he has done plenty of it.) outweighs the bad.  The only reason why I nark and criticize the new angle of programming is because I fear greatly that the game show fan (Not the original fan, nor the classic fan, but both types of fans.) will lose the Game Show Network.  

As for the originals, He's done a well job in that department.  I've always believed that originals in moderation are good (4 or 5 at a time), but out of the originals out there now, I will say that Mr. Cronin has given us at least 5 very solid and well put together shows.  I'll certainly count that for something.

And I agree with Mr. Temple whole-heartedly; any channel that can keep good ol' Bill on the tube for quite a while should be given credit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 01:39:14 AM by whampyl03 »

jdhernandez

What GOOD has GSN done ?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 06:54:54 AM »
This "Tomarkenite" speaks. =P

Three words: Press Your Luck

Remember back in the olden days when some of the subjects were about wishing GSN would get PYL, and most of us saying, "That'll never happen!" Well...surprise! It still amuses me to no end the kind of reaction we all got when we found out Game Show Network had acquired the rights to air that show. July, 2001. I'll never forget it. =D

Also, Lingo, Russian Roulette, and Whammy alone are leaps and bounds better than all of the network's other originals. (Except for Big Bucks, of course)

Oh yeah, GSN stuff. Yeah....stuff.....
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.