Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving floor pieces  (Read 17400 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
Does the house in the Nickelodeon version of Finders Keepers count?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Moving floor pieces
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Super Password's main game area was pushed into place by 2 stage hands.
Arguably, a ton of the other ones cited very likely had human power behind them. too. Why mechanize Bonus Island when you can hand a stagehand a rope?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »
Technically, the turntable on 80's Wheel would also fit the initial description too. Didn't $oTC's Winner's Big Money Game also have two sorta circular stands come from opposite sides of the stage to the center at the beginning of the round, as well?
Yep.

-I think the early seasons of GSN's Newlywed Game feature a rotating set
-The contestant island on Classic Concentration slid out the way for the car round, and back in for the rebus portion.
-And for the Hollywood Squares half-hour of the MG/HSq hour, an upper tier slid onto the stage...although as Chris mentioned, it was probably stage hands giving the illusion of a magic desk*

If there's something I truly miss from the good ol' days, it's moving set pieces, whether it's a door or turntable.

*And I'd rather keep it that way ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:47 AM »
I always thought that the dice table on High Rollers had a moving piece on it.  Not sure if I first saw it on the Trebek version or the Martindale version.  It seemed that the dice moved by themselves when they came back towards the contestants.

The piece on Stumpers worked sorta like the MG'7x set piece as far as the contestant/celebrity area goes.

Million $ Password is probably the most recent example.  Before the main game begins, where the players, celebrities & even Regis stand, the "stage" rises up.

Family Feud back in the Dawson years had a moving board.  It seemed that it was a 3-sided board(or was ir 4?) that make it seem like the board changes from survey board to what it was at the beginning for Fast Money & vice versa.

wdm1219inpenna

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
Would Pitfall with Alex Trebek count?  The elevator shafts were stationary though.  Hot Potato's set? (can't recall)

BrandonFG

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
I always thought that the dice table on High Rollers had a moving piece on it.  Not sure if I first saw it on the Trebek version or the Martindale version.  It seemed that the dice moved by themselves when they came back towards the contestants.
Conveyor belt I believe on Martindale's. On the original Trebek version, he used a stick.

Family Feud back in the Dawson years had a moving board.  It seemed that it was a 3-sided board(or was ir 4?)
It was 3.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
Hot Potato's set? (can't recall)
Yes, the Yer Out couches slid back and forth depending on if they were in use / how many people were sitting on them.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Moving floor pieces
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »
[Conveyor belt I believe on Martindale's. On the original Trebek version, he used a stick.

The conveyor belt was in place on the 78 revival, and Alex controlled it. I believe Ruta/Elaine had the giant croupier deal on the original.

Because of the design, the conveyor on Wink's version would sometimes do an abrupt pull back if the dice ended up on the extreme end of the table, where the higher walls could partially or fully obscure the roll.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
The conveyor belt was in place on the 78 revival, and Alex controlled it. I believe Ruta/Elaine had the giant croupier deal on the original.
This is correct, it was a big acrylic croupier stick on the original.

(You guys I will discuss this with. I don't bother with the Karlberg Black Hole anymore.)

Winkfan

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Because of the design, the conveyor on Wink's version would sometimes do an abrupt pull back if the dice ended up on the extreme end of the table, where the higher walls could partially or fully obscure the roll.

I believe the same kind of table was used on Las Vegas Gambit when the bonus game was switched to the one from HR. I recall sometimes the conveyor belt table would get stuck.

Speaking of Gambit, the "Big Board" on the original version had sliding doors that revealed the numbered "cards" from which the couples chose their prizes.

Second Honeymoon had the parents' seating sections rotate halfway towards the back during the kids' questioning round.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Moving floor pieces
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
I believe the same kind of table was used on Las Vegas Gambit when the bonus game was switched to the one from HR

I'm nearly certain they used the exact table, dice and insurance markers from the then-recently-cancelled revival.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
-I think the early seasons of GSN's Newlywed Game feature a rotating set
The first season's turntable had the Goldywed bonus round on the other side. It has been replaced by a large backlit logo, and the contestant island rotates at the beginning and end of every show.

The screen that showed the gameboard on Wordplay rotated to reveal the bonus round.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:20:02 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Can't forget the Perry and Eubanks Card Sharks. Perry's version had turntables on both sides of the stage while Eubanks' version had a turntable for the contestants and sliding doors for the cards. Both also had "G2T2" move into place.

Wipeout also had a turntable with a wall that revealed the car.

ISTR that both Perry Card Sharks and Wipeout had semicircular walls that rotated around a stationary circular platform. I wouldn't necessarily call those turntables (at least not in the sense that TPIR and MG 7x have/had turntables where the top of the platform moved), but I don't know of a good short description for them.

Also, how many independent movements were there on the CS '78 set? It seemed like the two walls hiding the main game and money cards boards moved independently of each other and anything else, but I suspect that G2T2 and the main game/money cards lecterns were all on the same drive.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Moving floor pieces
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
It was always a visual treat to watch the entire set of "Shopping Spree" rotate to reveal the bonus round.

Matt Miller

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
Scrabble: The game board moving in at the opening of the show, and also its rotating around for the Sprint
The contestant area did likewise, (the area with the blue background and the contestant desk was used for the crossword round, then before they cut to commercial you could see it start to rotate to the pink background where the sprint round was played.
Matt