Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving floor pieces  (Read 17391 times)

ActualRetailMike

Moving floor pieces
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
How many game shows have or had moving floor objects?  That is, where an set piece on the floor, or the floor itself, moves -- onscreen, without any apparent human intervention.  (not counting flat, sliding prize doors)

TPiR: The prize turntable

Match Game ‘7x: Turntable, with contestants on one side and Super Match on the other

60s/70s Dating Game: Twin turntables, including a wall section that conceals the bachelors or bachelorettes from the one asking the questions

60s/70s Newlywed Game: Contestant seat sections slide together at beginning, slide apart at end.  Also, exactly once I saw the prize platform make a surprise 180-degree turn (washer and dryer in front, bonus dishwasher on other side).

Let’s Make a Deal: The large “boxes” on the stage floor, the ones that “open” by moving, unattended, to the side.  Also, wasn’t there some prize turntable with a light blue vertical wall section early on in the show’s run?  I distinctly remember seeing it emblazoned with a 4 once, and Monty identified it as “Door Number Four”.  (April Fools gag, perhaps?) It also showed up, sans the 4, on some of the earlier Family Channel episodes.

New Treasure Hunt:  The entrance at the top of the stairs where the prize boxes live.  These appears to be dual 3D set pieces, rather than doors per se.

Musical Chairs: The contestant chairs slide in and out.

Some talk shows had moving set pieces.  I think the Pat Sajak show had the band platform slide in slightly during the opening sequence.  And I seem to remember some evening talk show from 1971 or so in which some 3D structures moved to either side as a guest walked in (???).

Argo

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
Some talk shows had moving set pieces.  I think the Pat Sajak show had the band platform slide in slightly during the opening sequence.  And I seem to remember some evening talk show from 1971 or so in which some 3D structures moved to either side as a guest walked in (???).

I know parts of the set of The Dick Cavett Show on ABC moved during the introduction.

That Don Guy

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
The moving contestant chairs on Remote Control (the MTV version, at least) come to mind.

Chief-O

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
I'm surprised the OP omitted "Card Sharks" with its myriad moving elements [contestant area moving away for Money Cards, etc.].
.....and it goes like this!!!

gaubster2

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »
How many game shows have or had moving floor objects?  That is, where an set piece on the floor, or the floor itself, moves -- onscreen, without any apparent human intervention.  (not counting flat, sliding prize doors)

TPiR: The prize turntable

Match Game '7x: Turntable, with contestants on one side and Super Match on the other

60s/70s Dating Game: Twin turntables, including a wall section that conceals the bachelors or bachelorettes from the one asking the questions

60s/70s Newlywed Game: Contestant seat sections slide together at beginning, slide apart at end.  Also, exactly once I saw the prize platform make a surprise 180-degree turn (washer and dryer in front, bonus dishwasher on other side).

Let's Make a Deal: The large "boxes" on the stage floor, the ones that "open" by moving, unattended, to the side.  Also, wasn't there some prize turntable with a light blue vertical wall section early on in the show's run?  I distinctly remember seeing it emblazoned with a 4 once, and Monty identified it as "Door Number Four".  (April Fools gag, perhaps?) It also showed up, sans the 4, on some of the earlier Family Channel episodes.

New Treasure Hunt:  The entrance at the top of the stairs where the prize boxes live.  These appears to be dual 3D set pieces, rather than doors per se.

Musical Chairs: The contestant chairs slide in and out.

Don't forget Super Password and Press Your Luck!

whewfan

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
Can't forget the Perry and Eubanks Card Sharks. Perry's version had turntables on both sides of the stage while Eubanks' version had a turntable for the contestants and sliding doors for the cards. Both also had "G2T2" move into place.

Wipeout also had a turntable with a wall that revealed the car.

On Million Dollar COAL a wall on the turntable turned to reveal the isolation booth.

WhammyPower

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Whew!: Set pieces pull apart to reveal the Gauntlet of Villains

Pitfall: Main game set opens up to reveal the pitfalls

Split Second: Main game set opens to reveal the cars

Scrabble: The game board moving in at the opening of the show, and also its rotating around for the Sprint

Jay Temple

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
The podium where contestants for the Gold Run on Blockbusters (Cullen era, at least) moved into place.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Moving floor pieces
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
I know parts of the set of The Dick Cavett Show on ABC moved during the introduction.
The set piece in the back does a complete 360 for, as near as I can tell, no reason whatsoever. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
Well, there was Russian Roulette.  Oh, no, wait, on that show, the contestants moved without apparent human interaction.
czambo@mac.com

TimK2003

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
Robin Ward's version of To Tell The Truth had the imposters' desk slide into place, (at least in the first round) and Trebek/Elliott/Swann version had the imposters' desk pivot into place.

Both the Jack Narz Now You See It and Trebek's Double Dare had the main game board rotated for different facets of the game.

And on Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, the end game team table at center stage would rise up out of the floor.

wheelloon

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
The one that immediately came to my mind, for some odd reason, was Bullseye (the Bonus Island).

Technically, the turntable on 80's Wheel would also fit the initial description too. Didn't $oTC's Winner's Big Money Game also have two sorta circular stands come from opposite sides of the stage to the center at the beginning of the round, as well?
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Otm Shank

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
First one to come to mind for me was the Bonus Island from Bullseye.

Edit: And I see what happens when I sit and ponder my post!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:07:10 PM by Otm Shank »

TheLastResort

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
"Play the Percentages" had the giant percent sign that would rise out of the floor, though it only worked a handful of times.

"Press Your Luck" had the rotating contestant area.

tyshaun1

Moving floor pieces
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »

Don't forget Super Password!

Super Password's main game area was pushed into place by 2 stage hands.

Tyshaun