Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WoF announcers shown on-camera  (Read 4166 times)

SamJ93

WoF announcers shown on-camera
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
I had a dream last night (which I'll mercifully spare you the details of) that led me to think of this...

Has WoF ever given any of its announcers face time?  As far as I can remember, they never really did with Charlie O.  I never saw much of the Jack Clark era...did he ever get shown on camera?

For that matter, I think one of the only (possibly THE only) times Johnny Gilbert was shown on camera during J! was after the infamous "Glenn Trebek" faux pas back in 2000.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
I had a dream last night (which I'll mercifully spare you the details of) that led me to think of this...

Has WoF ever given any of its announcers face time?  As far as I can remember, they never really did with Charlie O.  I never saw much of the Jack Clark era...did he ever get shown on camera?

For that matter, I think one of the only (possibly THE only) times Johnny Gilbert was shown on camera during J! was after the infamous "Glenn Trebek" faux pas back in 2000.

Pat & Vanna spoke with Jack Clark at his work area during the closing moments of a 1987 NBC show.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »
Pat & Vanna spoke with Jack Clark at his work area during the closing moments of a 1987 NBC show.
Same with MG Kelly.

Charlie O has been on camera a few times. Not sure if it ever happened in the game proper, but milestone specials have featured him, and last year's April Fools Day had him on camera for a few seconds at the puzzle board and, IIRC, the blue player position.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
IIRC, last season Pat went into Charlie's booth before they went to break.  I don't remember why other than for hilarity to ensue
This signature is currently under construction.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
Here's an instance from Christmas 2009 where Charlie is seen on-camera (skip to 7:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwHBjx8W1c
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:17:39 PM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

Johnissoevil

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

I remember not long after Charlie returned to the show, Pat and Vanna did the same thing with him.  He just basically mentioned having been there when Chuck and Susan were there and said something about Jack doing a great job in the years of his absence.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Stevek83

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
I remember one show sometime in the late 90's in which Pat asked for Charlie to appear on camera, being it was Thanksgiving Day. This occurred before round 2 or 3; sometime mid-show.

As for Johnny Gilbert, this doesn't quite count, but he appeared on "Cheers" when Cliff went on "Jeopardy!"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:40:32 PM by Stevek83 »

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
Johnny's gotten a bit of camera time on J!......

Show 3000
Johnny Rocks!
Johnny Raps and Rocks On!
Love Poetry???
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:38:01 PM by Chief-O »

Argo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02:41 PM »
Johnny's gotten a bit of camera time on J!......

Show 3000
Johnny Rocks!
Love Poetry???

There is/was also a very amusing clip of Johnny on air (however, on 70s Dina Shore Show) where he read poetry while they "tried" to distract him. It was on a game show website a few years ago. Couldn't find it on youtube unfortunately.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:03:46 PM by Argo »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
Charlie also announced from onstage at the top of Wheel's 3000th episode. However, the only video I could find of it is very glitchy.
Bobby Peacock

Kevin Prather

Jamey Greek

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
I remember one show sometime in the late 90's in which Pat asked for Charlie to appear on camera, being it was Thanksgiving Day. This occurred before round 2 or 3; sometime mid-show.

As for Johnny Gilbert, this doesn't quite count, but he appeared on "Cheers" when Cliff went on "Jeopardy!"

I remember the late 90s episode.  It was on a weekend repeat.  Pat was like "Let's show Charlie on camera!  We rarely do!"

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »
This made my week.

Johnny & Alan Kalter could make a great gangsta rap duo. Both have done some "interesting" translations of popular songs.

davemackey

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
As I understand it, that work area was built for Jack so he didn't have to move from backstage to out front so much as he was already being weakened by his cancer treatments.

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
As I understand it, that work area was built for Jack so he didn't have to move from backstage to out front so much as he was already being weakened by his cancer treatments.
When I visited Jack he was in an engineering equipment room off the stage floor. It seemed to me that the reasons were twofold - to put him in a work space isolated from ambient noise, and to provide an adequate work surface. In the shopping era he had a bevy of 3x5 cards spread out, each with the copy for one of the prizes. He's grab the cards as the prizes were purchased and quickly arranged them in the proper order just before he read the descriptions.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com