Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows in Movies Time  (Read 6621 times)

uncamark

Game Shows in Movies Time
« on: June 22, 2003, 03:41:58 PM »
Since we haven't had a chance to add a movie to the list of \"Game Shows in Movies\" lately (or for Jay Lewis to add it to his canonical list), let me add a release that's been around for a while, but I only saw it yesterday.

Very early in \"Identity,\" as we enter the lobby of the motel that's the central setting (and that's all I'm going to say about the movie's plot, if you haven't seen it yet), Larry the front desk man is watching \"Wheel of Fortune\" while downing some Southern Comfort and shouting at the set, \"buy a vowel!  Buy a vowel!\"  This time, besides the usual on-TV screen shots in movies of the wheel and contestants, we do see Vanna touching the letters on the board (and earning SAG residuals for doing so).  I guess Pat didn't want that residual money, since the screen cuts from a puzzle solve to the closeup of the wheel spinning, which of course never happens on the actual show (although his voice is heard all throughout the clip).

Also, although there's no \"clip courtesy\" credit in the end titles (no big surprise, considering that it's a Columbia production distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing), there is a credit in the music list for \"Season 19 Win Music\" from \"Wheel of Fortune\" \"composed and performed by Steve Kaplan, courtesy of Columbia TriStar Television, Inc.\"

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 11:05:53 PM »
Alright! Let me thrown in on this topic.

I have seen many game show clips on movies. Another - albeit older - clip of Wheel of Fortune can be seen on the movie Erin Brockovich. Look for it during the scene where the boy was distracted enough by Erin to let her in to view some reports.

Also, in the not-as-popular Great Expectations, one can see a clip of Bill Cullen's Blockbusters in the opening (credit EOTVGS 3 for that one).

In White Men Can't Jump, you can see Rosie Perez play on the set of Jeopardy! I forgot if Alex himself was in the scene or not.

That is all I know for the time being. If I know more, I will let you know.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 11:44:45 PM »
In White Men Can't Jump, you can see Rosie Perez play on the set of Jeopardy! I forgot if Alex himself was in the scene or not.
Yep.

Brandon Brooks

Timsterino

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 04:55:45 AM »
This one is subtle but I just noticed it while I watched this movie on DVD. In the movie \"Back to the Future II\" during the scene that takes place in the \"1980's Cafe\" each booth has a tv showing a different show from the 1980s. In one of the booths you can clearly see \"Wheel of Fortune\" on one of the little tv screens in a booth facing the window.

Tim :-)

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 12:24:24 PM »
I have seen many game show clips on movies. Another - albeit older - clip of Wheel of Fortune can be seen on the movie Erin Brockovich. Look for it during the scene where the boy was distracted enough by Erin to let her in to view some reports.

While we're on the subjects, clips from WoF were also seen in The Craft (1996) and What Makes a Family? (made-for-TV, 2001?).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

goongas

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 12:25:12 PM »
Pat Sajak doesn't allow his face on any other products other than the show.  That is why you never see him in any WOF video game.  He said he doesn't want his children to see his face all over the place, or something to that effect.

Eric

TPIRkid79

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 05:29:48 PM »
In \"Rain Man\"(1988), A few game show clips and mentions were in the film, like when Raymond turned on the TV in the hotel, and a clip of Wheel of Fortune came up, Raymond recited the show's opening spiel. Or when Raymond says he has \"26 minutes till Jeopardy!\". In the motel, Raymond and Charlie were watching Jeopardy, and Raymond guessed the answer before the contestant.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 12:45:15 PM »
In \"Rain Man\"(1988), A few game show clips and mentions were in the film, like when Raymond turned on the TV in the hotel, and a clip of Wheel of Fortune came up, Raymond recited the show's opening spiel. Or when Raymond says he has \"26 minutes till Jeopardy!\". In the motel, Raymond and Charlie were watching Jeopardy, and Raymond guessed the answer before the contestant.

Also, a clip from $otC can be seen when they first arrive at Walbrook early in the movie...and when they stop driving because of the rain later on, Raymond watches The $25K Pyramid in the motel room (I think it was the same scene as the J! clip).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")