Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 148901 times)

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #435 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
Not on the subject of Concentration, but it would be interesting to see how the Today Show book treats the subject of Charles Van Doren. Unfortunately there is no video of his Today Show appearances on YouTube.
I can't speak to the newer book, but I have a copy of the last big hardback history the show did (2003) and they not only mention Van Doren and the scandal, they kinda make a big deal about it.  In keeping with their mission of patting themselves on the back whenever possible, the focus is on the "extraordinary personal moment" when Dave Garroway addressed the camera to talk about Van Doren's absence.  The Garroway speech is quoted at length, maybe in its entirety.  I know I've seen the clip before, probably on one of the history specials.
Bit of an off-topic update, as I got a chance to see the current book yesterday, and it turns out they dedicate an entire page to Van Doren, treating him the same way they treated all of the regular contributors.  In fact, his listing is even longer than Frank Blair's, the news reader who was with the show for more than two decades.  So they don't shy away from Van Doren's contribution even today.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JakeT

Concentration
« Reply #436 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Whoever, in your group who  suggested the use of someone saying, "Shh" plus a hoe (for the word, show) -- be realistic -- that's not really that creative or even humorous.

Oh, snap! :)

JakeT

dale_grass

Concentration
« Reply #437 on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »
Whoever, in your group who  suggested the use of someone saying, "Shh" plus a hoe (for the word, show) -- be realistic -- that's not really that creative or even humorous.

JakeT

That tears it.  I'll just stick with Harvey Feud from now on.

JakeT

Concentration
« Reply #438 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »

JakeT

That tears it.  I'll just stick with Harvey Feud from now on.

Oh, c'mon...just let me give ya a little tickle and you can give me a little giggle...:)

JakeT