Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Funny Money"  (Read 4818 times)

Neumms

"Funny Money"
« on: June 22, 2003, 02:37:42 PM »
I haven't seen \"Funny Money\" opened for discussion, so let me have the honor. Two questions:

What do you think of it?

Does National Lampoon actually publish a magazine anymore?

On the former, not much. I did like Jimmy Pardo--funny but not too smarmy, nice to the contestants. And one segment of the game did work--the one where each comic has a punchline for a photo and the contestants predict which gets the biggest laugh. That part had real play along value and seemed to be the funniest, too. If only they'd done it the whole show. Testing your comprehension of a stand-up routine makes for a pretty droll game. And they should replace the non-sensical bonus round with a brisk game of high stakes \"Make Me Laugh.\" (If they could.)

Timsterino

"Funny Money"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 02:54:27 PM »
Actually it is being discussed in the Game Show Network forum here:
http://server02.systemips.com/~game_sho/in...ct=ST&f=3&t=183

Tim :-)

Neumms

"Funny Money"
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks. Boy, is my face red.

Timsterino

"Funny Money"
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 03:04:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 02:00 PM\'] Thanks. Boy, is my face red. [/quote]
 I did not want to do that. I just wanted to steer you in the right direction.

Tim :-)

uncamark

"Funny Money"
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 03:06:38 PM »
Let's do these backwards:

Does National Lampoon actually publish a magazine anymore?

No,  but they do have a web site.  Considering that more people read the Onion off the web than read the hard copy paper in the four markets where it's available, it's probably the smart move to make.

What do you think of it?

Which, of course, you mean \"Funny Money.\"

It's not on my list of favorites (and I haven't been able to watch a weeknight ep yet, so I can see what they do when they don't have Entertainment Weekly's \"It D-Lister\" Kathy Griffin on as a guest), but I won't turn it off.  Pardo does OK, but the game's just too cluttered.  As Lemon has pointed out, the game is designed to penalize comics who work slow and reward one-liner machines.  I can't say much about the routine round because I thought before seeing the show that the format would either be guess what the comic's going to say (like the photo caption round) or \"Hit Man\" with stand-up routines.

And to me, the picture end game is anti-climatic.  What I'd like to see is an end game where a comic is chosen to talk for 30 seconds on a topic without saying a certain word or phrase related to that topic (which the audience and contestant knows but the comic doesn't)--if s/he can do that, the contestant wins the bonus prize.  Yeah, it's a combination of \"Just a Minute!\" (or the \"Cram\" Rant round) and \"Taboo,\" but it just might work--and it would test either the comic's ability to ad lib or the depth of his/her material.

But, hey--supposedly this show was tested before off-night audiences at the Improv before it was offered to either the Lampoon, Pat Finn or GSN, so Marc \"Skippy\" Price thinks he's got a great format nailed down.  Knowing from my experience when the Improv had a club in Chicago how they get off-night audiences (or some Friday and Saturday audiences, for that matter), I heartily disagree, but I'm not the producer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Funny Money"
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 06:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 12:06 PM\'] I can't say much about the routine round because I thought before seeing the show that the format would...be... "Hit Man" with stand-up routines.
 [/quote]
 How funny! Never thought of it that way, but that is precisely what that round is!

and it would test either the comic's ability to ad lib or the depth of his/her material.

Clearly we're not looking to tax the comic here in any way shape or form.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe