Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Giving Thanks to GSN....  (Read 6030 times)

TimK2003

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« on: November 27, 2003, 09:11:23 PM »
As unexplainable as some of their decisions and mannerisms are at times, I wish to say Thanks to GSN for a decent crop of Feast of Favorite episodes.

I was very surprised to see the original Press Your Luck Larsen episodes aired as they were seen on CBS without any annoying extra screenbugs.  

The CBS premiere of The Jokers Wild was also a treat as was the T of C with Frank Dillon -- nice to show the progression of Joker through the years.  

And kudos to GSN for running 2 different Celeb. Bullseyes sans the bonus rounds.  Although those best of 3 matches were taking forever to do, I was glad they didn't give us 2 Dumb-off eps with Lynn Redgrave & Harvey Korman in a row.  It almost looked like Harvey was throwing a couple of those questions just to give Lynn a chance to pick up some cash!

Unfortunately, I am still kicking myself for not rolling tape on the Marathon...But going to the in-laws for Turkey Dinner has priorities.

JMFabiano

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 09:31:05 PM »
Yeah couldn't be by my VCR too unfortunately.  But when I heard that they used Celeb. Bullseye (saw the end of the second ep. only), and then put the rest together, I wondered if someone fron GSN was playing a cruel joke on us.  Not only did they confound our getting it in there with Celebrity episodes, but one of them featured no Bonus Island (yes, the watered down BI, but BI nonetheless) and did feature our hero, the man who won (or WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!) the hearts of game show fans everywhere...Patrick Wayne ;-)  Still was nice to see the old board in action with those spacey SFX though.  Makes me want to get back in the swing of tape trading to get more of the "real" Bullseye, et al.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

itiparanoid13

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 09:56:46 PM »
i was happy overall.  damn, i wish i could remember Patrick Wayne.  hes sounds hillarious!

chuckwooleryfan

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 11:07:09 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to say this was a fine marathon, despite some shortcomings. It is slightly disappointing that they selected celebrity episodes for Bullseye and they couldn't get to Bonus Island for either game, but I can't really say too much since this is the first time ever that I have seen the show.

whampyl03

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 12:47:29 AM »
Like I previously stated in another topic, THANKS GSN!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 07:01:08 AM »
Any of my TiVo brethren a little annoyed that the classics always seemed to run about 5-15 seconds past the top of the hour, while the shows you didn't really feel like archiving ran perfectly on time?
@lambertman

mctoyboy

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 10:23:20 AM »
That seems to happen a lot with Classics on GSN. Mine records 30 seconds before and after the episode....and still the beginning get cut at times! =)
j

Fedya

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 01:39:13 PM »
Did anybody else get a chuckle out of Jack Barry's comment at the end of the second TJW that we were going to hear from "two of our fine sponsors"?  Of course with modern time constraints those two sponsors got turned into three ads and two promos.  

As Chuck Woolery would say on the new Lingo, "back in ten and ten".  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

uncamark

Giving Thanks to GSN....
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 10:17:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 01:39 PM\']Did anybody else get a chuckle out of Jack Barry's comment at the end of the second TJW that we were going to hear from "two of our fine sponsors"?  Of course with modern time constraints those two sponsors got turned into three ads and two promos.  [/quote]
Even back then, the 30-second spot had become the standard commercial length, so there were actually four fine sponsors, most likely.  And let's not even talk about those indie stations where the commercial breaks ran longer because they went seamless from show to show instead of having a station break (like WFLD, "TJW"'s Chicago home when the show originally aired).  Or if the station ran a direct-response spot (which in those days was usually two minutes), meaning only one fine sponsor.  Jack should've just said "we'll return in a moment" and let it go at that.

Of course, all Jack really cared about was having everything run on schedule, so he could make it to his LearJet in time to meet his weekly dinner date in Palm Springs.