Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Ideal Panel in 2011  (Read 6681 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
So after skimming through another thread where a small debate over the success of panel shows in this day and age is brewing, I wondered who would make great panelists in this day and age. Now I pose the question to you: which star or stars would you choose for an ideal panel show lineup in 2011? Whether you want to choose anybody or people who you'd realistically be able to book, it's up to you.

I'd probably choose NPH, Sherri Shepherd, Betty White, and Ed O Neill- I think Peyton Manning would also be a good fit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:46:54 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

toetyper

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
LIVE from  new york its

WHATS

MY

LINE

with our panel

Ben Stein

Mika brzezinski

jon stewart

neil patrick harris

and heres our host.   mo rocca

pacdude

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'256096\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 08:17 PM\']LIVE from  new york its

WHATS

MY

LINE

with our panel

Ben Stein

Mika brzezinski

jon stewart

neil patrick harris

and heres our host.   mo rocca[/quote]

I'll have to give you props here: I could see it as a good, dynamic panel.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'256096\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 07:17 PM\']and heres our host.   mo rocca[/quote]
With no disrespect intended for Mr. Rocca, J. Keith van Stratten has done the role on stage very well and could certainly translate it to the video medium.

/And you haven't lived until you've heard Adam Chester's take on "Blister In The Sun."
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
In a general sense, one of the things I would want from my panel-- and one of the things that made the classic ones so great -- is the appearance that this little parlor game is just a diversion for them and isn't their prime source of income or professional distinction.  One of the few modern shows to pull that off has been -- of all things -- The Marriage Ref, but even there, none of those A-listers were regulars.  Still, for us to thrown out the names of our favorite folks is a somewhat pointless exercise without any real concept of how well they'd work together, how well they'd play the game we had for them, and whether they'd be the slightest bit interested.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'256115\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 10:34 PM\']Still, for us to thrown out the names of our favorite folks is a somewhat pointless exercise without any real concept of how well they'd work together, how well they'd play the game we had for them, and whether they'd be the slightest bit interested.[/quote]
Exactly. And in today's TV, where a show is NOT given the time to develop and earn an audience, the show would not have luxury of getting a panel together, letting it play a few weeks, and see how the dynamics went. With the original WML and IGAS, it seemed (yes, I know the reality) that it was a group of people who got together every week to play a game, just as many of us get together on a regular basis to watch football, knit, play poker or discuss books.  Even HS - which I consider a panel game on steroids - and MG7x took some time to find the panelists who worked, who knew when to joke and when to play seriously, and so on. (Think: Paula Poundstone on TTTT2K - and I love Paula on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me") If somebody got the idea to do a 2011 panel show, they had better get their panel ready and well-tested before the first show hits the air/cable.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
I vote for Adam Strom, Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and Daniel Benfield.  Matt Ottinger as host.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:17:26 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jmangin

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'256127\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 08:16 AM\']I vote for Adam Strom, Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and Daniel Benfield.  Matt Ottinger as host.[/quote]
This would only be complete with Michael Tiller as announcer.

tpirfan28

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'256129\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 09:08 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'256127\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 08:16 AM\']I vote for Adam Strom, Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and Daniel Benfield.  Matt Ottinger as host.[/quote]
This would only be complete with Michael Tiller as announcer.
[/quote]
Hmm.....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'256127\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 08:16 AM\']I vote for Adam Strom, Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and Daniel Benfield.  Matt Ottinger as host.[/quote]
Sorry, no.  When I become a big, big star and get to produce my own panel show, I'm hiring a good host and putting myself on the panel.  Thanks for the offer, though!

chrisholland03

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
I'm so glad to not see 'Panel' spelled 'Panal'

Neumms

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
If I was casting a primetime "What's My Line," here goes.

Kathy Griffin, love her or hate her, was terrific in Brett's seat on the Game Show Marathon's Match Game. She's not afraid to be the foil. Caroline Rhea.

Shatner. Serious, but funny serious. Provided he could play WML better than Password. Or as someone else suggested, Ben Stein. Or heck, Wil Wheaten, since he played J. Keith's version, is younger, and has a funny outlook on the has-been celebrity thing.

Jessica Simpson. Because I like a little eye-candy, and she has to be pretty smart to play that dumb. Or Alyssa Milano, if she could play the game and doesn't pluck her eyebrows. Or Paula Abdul, who may or may not show up drunk. Or Sherry Shepherd, since "The View" gives her some fame and if the game falls apart with the others.

Then I'd have the fourth seat rotate. Craig Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris, if CBS could cajole them. Adam Carrolla, Norm McDonald, David Spade. Ray Romano and Kevin James if you could get them.

Obviously, Anderson Cooper would be the perfect moderator, a modern-day John Daly, if he's not working too much. It would be nice to have a host with some currency who could attract decent mystery guests. Jeff Probst could be pretty good. I can see him messing with the panel.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'256142\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 09:35 AM\']Jessica Simpson. Because I like a little eye-candy, and she has to be pretty smart to play that dumb.[/quote]
It's entirely possible that she *is* just that dumb, too. It's not like she has the most mentally-taxing occupation.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'256133\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 07:32 AM\']Sorry, no.  When I become a big, big star and get to produce my own panel show, I'm hiring a good host and putting myself on the panel.  Thanks for the offer, though![/quote]
Yeah, I want Ottinger sitting next to me, so he can be Bennett Cerf to my Roger Price, as I draw half-pictures of people with large eyes and long noses and dudes in sombreros urinating.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Your Ideal Panel in 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256144\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 01:31 PM\']Yeah, I want Ottinger sitting next to me, so he can be Bennett Cerf to my Roger Price, as I draw half-pictures of people with large eyes and long noses and dudes in sombreros urinating.[/quote]
I actually had you as the Henry Morgan to my Cullen, but that works too.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256143\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 01:29 PM\']It's entirely possible that she *is* just that dumb, too. It's not like she has the most mentally-taxing occupation.[/quote]
She might lay it on a little thick these days because it works for her image, but yeah, I don't think she's a Mensa candidate putting on an act.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:26:43 PM by Matt Ottinger »