Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Academy Awards and game shows...  (Read 22157 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: The Academy Awards and game shows...
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
I thought you had left, ne'er to return.
Travis L. Eberle

johnnya2k3

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
   There was a movie that opened this week called The Pyramid. No, it's not THAT Pyramid...which means that some moviegoers (it was dumped into over 500 theaters) had to be disappointed.
Tell that to the thousands of game show fans who went to see "Child's Play"...only to realize that that wasn't Bill Cullen!!!

dale_grass

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
I too was duped.  At first I thought Behind the Green Door would be a documentary about the Monty Hall problem, but about 2/3 of the way through I started having my doubts.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »
I too was duped.  At first I thought Behind the Green Door would be a documentary about the Monty Hall problem, but about 2/3 of the way through I started having my doubts.

But of course you stayed through to the end to make sure, right?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dale_grass

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »
But of course you stayed through to the end to make sure, right?

But of course.  And I switched to Dial soap.

gamed121683

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »
Hate to once again bring this topic back from the dead, but I briefly saw The Magnificent Marble Machine on TV tonight. A clip of it was shown when I was watching The China Syndrome on TCM. It was also a kick to see a younger Wilford Brimley in said film.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
Hate to once again bring this topic back from the dead, but I briefly saw The Magnificent Marble Machine on TV tonight. A clip of it was shown when I was watching The China Syndrome on TCM. It was also a kick to see a younger Wilford Brimley in said film.

I saw that too. The show was rerun from January 19-June 11, 1976 (per The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows). So apparently, the tapes of that show were still intact when the film was being shot (January-April 1978; per Variety Magazine). Shortly after filming, and just before the debut of Card Sharks and The New High Rollers, NBC wiped a ton of game shows to make way for newer ones.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:27:48 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »

I saw that too. The show was rerun from January 19-June 11, 1976 (per The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows). So apparently, the tapes of that show were still intact when the film was being shot (January-April 1978; per Variety Magazine). Shortly after filming, and just before the debut of Card Sharks and The New High Rollers, NBC wiped a ton of game shows to make way for newer ones.

[Citation needed], because Curt Alliaume's site says April 1976 was when the show finally bit it. The Pedia also says different.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 10:39:11 PM »
It was also a kick to see a younger Wilford Brimley in said film.

Remarkable that outside of some stunt work, that was essentially his film debut at the "young" age of 45, and a pretty substantial role!  My dad always said he should have won an Oscar for his ten minutes of work at the end of Absence of Malice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »
Though she never attended the actual show, Wheel of Fortune's Vanna White had a cameo in "The Naked Gun 33 1/3", in which the final scene took place at the Oscars (spoofing "The Bodyguard's" Oscar scene).

John Harlan, the late Charlie O'Donnell, and Randy Thomas all had stints as announcers; Thomas shared duties in 2003 with then-GSN promo announcer Neil Ross, who was the voice of Dennis Quaid's pod in "Innerspace."

Marty Pasetta directed the Wheel pilot and produced "Catch Phrase" while he was still directing the awards from 1972-88; his successor, Jeff Margolis, did The Gong Show (Don Bleu).

Glenn Weiss is directing this year's show; his game show credits include "Legends of the Hidden Temple", "Studs", "Gladiators 2000" (Ryan Seacrest's national TV debut), and "Majority Rules" in the early to mid-'90s as well as the NBC trainwrecks "Celebrity Cooking Showdown" and "The Singing Bee" (Louis J. Horvitz, Hamish Hamilton, and Don Mischer never directed any game shows early in their careers).

Oh, and even though they lost to Best Picture to Forrest Gump, a few seconds of audio from Truth or Consequences was heard in "Quiz Show".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:51:39 PM by johnnya2k3 »

PYLdude

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
Have we set a record in this thread regarding bumps? Both by the same person and both after a year's time (well, 50 weeks in the second case)?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

aaron sica

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:30 PM »
I think he also set a personal record for going the longest without bold text.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 06:42:00 PM »
Sam Rockwell, who played Chuck Barris in Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, won Supporting Actor for Three Billboards (Outside Ebbing, Missouri) at this year’s Oscars.

/The real Chuck Barris wasn’t in the In Memoriam, by the way

PYLdude

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 07:54:09 PM »
Two years.

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
Sam Rockwell, who played Chuck Barris in Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, won Supporting Actor for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri at this year’s Oscars.

There, fixed that for you. If you want to brag to us to show off how much you know, you can't make slipups like that!