Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Academy Awards and game shows...  (Read 22055 times)

Matt Ottinger

The Academy Awards and game shows...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'255595\' date=\'Jan 25 2011, 11:52 PM\']There's a scene in Erin Brockovich where one of the receptionists is watching an episode of Wheel of Fortune when the title character walks in. So what?[/quote]
And Maine is the only state with a one-syllable name.  So what?  There's a reason it's called trivia.  There are a couple hundred smart game show fans reading this thread, and for all your "umpteen hundred" haughtiness, best as I can tell we've come up with precisely four besides the three Brian mentioned.  And that's counting Erin Brockovich.  If you don't like our little game, shut the hell up and read a different thread.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

The Academy Awards and game shows...
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
I didn't realize there was a legit reasoning behind allowing this thread (I tend to assume Brian's posts are let through for the sake of mockery). I humbly apologize if I jumped too harshly.
-Joe Raygor

johnnya2k3

Re: The Academy Awards and game shows...
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:21 AM »
Innerspace (1987 winner for Visual Effects) had a brief scene in which Martin Short was watching Scrabble.

Thunder

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »
It was worth an almost four-year bump to watch Mr. Ottinger's head explode again.

carlisle96

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 04:23:43 PM »
Mrs. Robinson was mirthlessly watching The Newlywed Game in The Graduate

The Academy Award nominations were handed out today, and it should be noted that Animal Kingdom, which was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, has a scene from the Australian Deal or No Deal.

So that leads me to wonder: How many Oscar-winning movies have had game shows (or scenes involving them) in them?

I know of three. (Quiz Show didn't win any Oscars, BTW.)

1980:
   Melvin and Howard - Mary Steenburgen won the Best Supporting Actress award. Her character, Lynda Dummar, was a contestant on a fictitious show called Golden Gate.

2008:
   Slumdog Millionaire - Eight Oscars, including Best Picture; no explanation needed.

2009:
   Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire  - Mo'nique won a Best Supporting Actress gold guy by playing a woman who's a fan of the $100,000 Pyramid.

Any others?

Brian

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
It was worth an almost four-year bump to watch Mr. Ottinger's head explode again.
Was it?
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »

brianhenke

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
   There was a movie that opened this week called The Pyramid. No, it's not THAT Pyramid...which means that some moviegoers (it was dumped into over 500 theaters) had to be disappointed.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
   There was a movie that opened this week called The Pyramid. No, it's not THAT Pyramid...which means that some moviegoers (it was dumped into over 500 theaters) had to be disappointed.

Brian

I really doubt that there were many people who went into the theatre expecting it to be about the game show. Honestly, Brian...Do you think before you post?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 11:44:42 AM »
I really doubt that there were many people who went into the theatre expecting it to be about the game show. Honestly, Brian...Do you think before you post?
Corrected.

Thunder

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
That reminded me that it's time to make my optometrist appointment before the end of the year.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
(it was dumped into over 500 theaters)
Dumped, you say?

I believe you actually think you're being helpful, but adding stuff like this and the throwaway about some viewers being disappointed because it was about the game show really doesn't help your reputation.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
A link? Could you be bothered to post a link to anything for once?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
Being There won Best Supporting Actor for Melvyn Douglas, and if I recall correctly, there's some TPIR in it. And it's a wonderful movie worthy of mention.

pacdude

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
Was it?
Absolutely.