Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis to step down  (Read 10469 times)

Scrabbleship

Regis to step down
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'254955\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:38 PM\']I know Pat had expressed interest in a talk show gig as far back as the Late Night debacle, so maybe he WOULD consider taking the spot if offered. Of course, they'd have to find a new Wheel host if that's the case. If the network decides not to continue on with the "Live" show, maybe this would be a chance for Pyramid to take its spot?[/quote]

Since "Live" is syndicated, that isn't happening. If anything this would probably lead to many stations starting 9:00 AM newscasts while the NBC affiliates that clear "Live" dating from the Kathie Lee/pre-Today expansion era would probably clear all four hours of Today live (or in places such as Sacramento or Baltimore, clear the 4th hour period).

TimK2003

Regis to step down
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
Bergeron would make a good replacement, and I wouldn't be surprised if The Mouse is already courting him on the possibility.  Disney is already pleased with Tom at the helm of AFV and DWTS on it's network and by hosting a syndicated property owned by them, it would be a logical fit.  Plus it would be the show closest to his Connecticut home by a few thousand miles.

DjohnsonCB

Regis to step down
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
I'm glad to say that I heard the announcement not as a result of having to watch the Host Chat online, as I've had to do for the past 16 months, but by actually watching the show at home, which finally returned to Omaha January 10 on the Fox station here.

Also, regarding the mention of Marc Summers as a possible successor, anyone know whether or not Food Network stopped making new "Unwrapped" shows?

Too bad Vin Scully isn't the same age now as he was when he was hosting It Takes Two, or I'd suggest him as a Regis replacement.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

colonial

Regis to step down
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'254996\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 08:39 PM\']I'm glad to say that I heard the announcement not as a result of having to watch the Host Chat online, as I've had to do for the past 16 months, but by actually watching the show at home, which finally returned to Omaha January 10 on the Fox station here.

Also, regarding the mention of Marc Summers as a possible successor, anyone know whether or not Food Network stopped making new "Unwrapped" shows?[/quote]

Summers was taping segments for Unwrapped as late as last fall (he filmed a series of opens, bumps and closes at a New Jersey diner), and new episodes are airing this month.  Given that Unwrapped is one of FN's longest-running shows, an announcement that it was canceled/ceasing production would get some attention in the media.

I also have Probst on my short list, but a lot of it depends on his contract with "Survivor."  It seems as if Probst drops hints that he will leave the franchise every couple of months or so, but no one's really sure when his contract actually ends.

Although his talk show hosting skills aren't the greatest, Howie Mandel has been a frequent Regis sub in recent years, so I'd have him on the possibilities list.

JD

petek66

Regis to step down
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'254997\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 07:58 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'254996\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 08:39 PM\']I'm glad to say that I heard the announcement not as a result of having to watch the Host Chat online, as I've had to do for the past 16 months, but by actually watching the show at home, which finally returned to Omaha January 10 on the Fox station here.

Also, regarding the mention of Marc Summers as a possible successor, anyone know whether or not Food Network stopped making new "Unwrapped" shows?[/quote]

Summers was taping segments for Unwrapped as late as last fall (he filmed a series of opens, bumps and closes at a New Jersey diner), and new episodes are airing this month.  Given that Unwrapped is one of FN's longest-running shows, an announcement that it was canceled/ceasing production would get some attention in the media.

I also have Probst on my short list, but a lot of it depends on his contract with "Survivor."  It seems as if Probst drops hints that he will leave the franchise every couple of months or so, but no one's really sure when his contract actually ends.

Although his talk show hosting skills aren't the greatest, Howie Mandel has been a frequent Regis sub in recent years, so I'd have him on the possibilities list.

JD
[/quote]

I'd rather see Probst take over Jeopardy! whenever Trebek calls it quits - I'll bet that happens around the same time
Survivor finally runs out of steam.

NickS

Regis to step down
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'254949\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 12:36 PM\']I think that's an unfair discredit to Kelly. She brings a lot to the table and, though I'm not as familiar with Kathie Lee Gifford's work there since I didn't watch much when she hosted (she left when I was 10), most people I know vastly prefer Ripa over Gifford.[/quote]
Agreed.  I'm in the "Kelly made the show better" bandwagon; don't know how much anyone's watched hour 4 of Today but that's the good ol' Kathie Lee I remember from yesteryear.  Poor Hoda.

Now I've seen a lot of Pat Sajak discussion on here but I'd like to go off the board, Jack, and suggest a different Pat:

Pat Kiernan.  Affable, is a news man at heart and a former game show host.  Might be a bit dry but I'd watch.

/Tom Bergeron for the win, though; there'd be a Laurie Hibberd connection!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:50:21 PM by TeppanYaki »

vtown7

Regis to step down
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
According to Tom's book, however, he is blacklisted from Morning Yak with the curmudgeon and the soap star.

tvwxman

Regis to step down
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254956\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:43 PM\'][quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'254953\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:38 PM\']How about Neil Patrick Harris?[/quote]
Not that I would expect anything less from Bobby, but can we please not turn this into "Name anyone who's ever guest-hosted on Live!"?  Harris is a full-time actor, arguably at the peak of his career right now.  He's not going to give that up to sit on a stool five days a week and make chit-chat with other actors.
[/quote]
I wouldn't be so sure about that. This is a pretty steady gig, he'd be back in NY and able to do Broadway again. What's the shelf life on HIMYM, let alone another untested sitcom?

I think he would do it in a heartbeat. And I'd watch. He's a good fit for that show IMHO.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

Regis to step down
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'254997\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 08:58 PM\']Summers was taping segments for Unwrapped as late as last fall (he filmed a series of opens, bumps and closes at a New Jersey diner), and new episodes are airing this month.  Given that Unwrapped is one of FN's longest-running shows, an announcement that it was canceled/ceasing production would get some attention in the media.

I also have Probst on my short list, but a lot of it depends on his contract with "Survivor."  It seems as if Probst drops hints that he will leave the franchise every couple of months or so, but no one's really sure when his contract actually ends.[/quote]
Marc is still doing Unwrapped.

Probst's contract with Survivor ends VERY soon.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jeremy Nelson

Regis to step down
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
Even with the LA radio show, Seacrest's Idol contract is ending after this season, and he'll probably be hesitant to re-sign with what many are considering a sinking ship. It would just be a matter of how he'd handle two dailies on separate coasts.

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-headline...eplacement-talk
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

inturnaround

Regis to step down
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
Since Survivor now tapes over the summertime back-to-back, I don't think it would impact things all too much. The upcoming season of Survivor that premieres in February wrapped in September. You could push it up a few weeks and he could record both seasons of the show during Live's break...all assuming he gets the Live gig and he decides to continue with Survivor.

As far as I can tell, Redemption Island is the last season he's obligated to. He'd be in a really nice position to negotiate if both sides wanted him.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

weaklink75

Regis to step down
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'255409\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 04:15 PM\']Even with the LA radio show, Seacrest's Idol contract is ending after this season, and he'll probably be hesitant to re-sign with what many are considering a sinking ship. It would just be a matter of how he'd handle two dailies on separate coasts.

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-headline...eplacement-talk[/quote]

Well he doesn't have to be in LA to do a radio show for LA....the problem is that the morning show in LA would overlap with Live on the East Coast-though he could go to afternoon drive-time on the radio side (however there's also better access to in-studio celebrities in LA). Does anyone know what usually is more valuable for a radio station- morning drive-time or afternoon drive-time?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:52:40 AM by weaklink75 »

Neumms

Regis to step down
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'255491\' date=\'Jan 24 2011, 11:49 AM\']Well he doesn't have to be in LA to do a radio show for LA....the problem is that the morning show in LA would overlap with Live on the East Coast-though he could go to afternoon drive-time on the radio side (however there's also better access to in-studio celebrities in LA). Does anyone know what usually is more valuable for a radio station- morning drive-time or afternoon drive-time?[/quote]

He does mid-mornings in Minneapolis. Ain't technology grand? Seacrest doesn't seem right, though--doesn't "host chat" involve personal anecdotes and cute kid stories and such? Doesn't seem like that's Seacrest's forte.

BillCullen1

Regis to step down
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
I think morning drive is considered the top period in radio. I did not see this mentioned previosly, but the day after Regis announced his departure from Live, he fired his long-time manager. Wonder what the scoop is behind that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:17:52 PM by BillCullen1 »

Matt Ottinger

Regis to step down
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'255583\' date=\'Jan 25 2011, 09:16 PM\']I think morning drive is considered the top period in radio. I did not see this mentioned previosly, but the day after Regis announced his departure from Live, he fired his long-time manager. Wonder what the scoop is behind that.[/quote]
Here's TMZ's take on it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.