Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis to step down  (Read 10494 times)

Matt Ottinger

Regis to step down
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'254953\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:38 PM\']How about Neil Patrick Harris?[/quote]
Not that I would expect anything less from Bobby, but can we please not turn this into "Name anyone who's ever guest-hosted on Live!"?  Harris is a full-time actor, arguably at the peak of his career right now.  He's not going to give that up to sit on a stool five days a week and make chit-chat with other actors.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Regis to step down
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'254955\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:38 PM\']I know Pat had expressed interest in a talk show gig as far back as the Late Night debacle, so maybe he WOULD consider taking the spot if offered. Of course, they'd have to find a new Wheel host if that's the case. If the network decides not to continue on with the "Live" show, maybe this would be a chance for Pyramid to take its spot?[/quote]
It's not a network show.  While ABC stations in some key markets (NY and L.A. among them) air the show, it's not an ABC offering.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

entguy1

Regis to step down
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »
The timing is likely because NATPE starts next week, and affilites who re-up don't want to feel like a bait-and-switch.

And yes, the show will go on -- a PD friend of mine once said that the contract is for a show called "Live!" -- there are no names of hosts attached to it. This was told to me more than 10 years ago, when Regis rumors first started to surface.

Neumms

Regis to step down
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254950\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:03 PM\']I suppose he already does the bicoastal thing, but I have to wonder if he'd want to fly back and forth when Wheel is in its taping season. Live isn't going to leave New York.[/quote]

I wonder if he'd give up "Wheel" for this. Sony could hold him to his contract, maybe, but he may enjoy the change. It's closer to home and he can try to sneak in right-wing talking points during "host chat."

If Pat left, they'd have an opening to kick Vanna to the curb before she's using a walker to go tap her letter monitors.

wheelloon

Regis to step down
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Mr. J. Nelson and I had a small, albeit to the point conversation about this earlier. It follows a lot of what has been said already here.

While Sajak is my first choice *dun dun Dun DUNNNNnn... thomp*, yeah, I'm about 99% sure he wouldn't want that daily commitment anymore, especially on top of other things he does. While his lifelong ambition of doing a talk show might pull his heart strings for doing this, there's  the fact that he will probably sign only one more contract renewal for Wheel before saying goodbye (he's stated he has between 2 and 10 years left of hosting it), which would open up more time for him for doing this at a later point, while working him to a grind in the interim. Committed to hosting Live into his 70's would definitely be a strong longer-term commitment, I think, in this case though, and would still be appealing for the show's producers. I'm pretty sure Sony wouldn't say one word about doing both either, except if Sajak was talking about leaving Wheel in particular in order to do Live.

Also being a fellow Marylander, I can tell you that it takes about 4 hours to drive from Maryland to NYC, but that can be cut down by about an hour taking Amtrak. That would mean he'd have to be waking up very early to get to NYC on time. I'd think the show would either have to move to a later time period on the East Coast (10am maybe?) or... well... not be so "live" anymore. Neither idea is particularly great in my mind, so that could be a potential issue too.

My preferences, otherwise, go towards the likes of Jeff Probst, Ryan Seacrest, or possibly Anderson Cooper (forgot he had his talkie coming). It wouldn't rub me wrong either if they did rotating hosts every week for the forseeable future while Kelly is the "pillar of strength"... or something, for the show.

/Yeah, I'd have a pillar of strength to give her.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:18:13 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

J.R.

Regis to step down
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'254963\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:18 PM\']If Pat left, they'd have an opening to kick Vanna to the curb before she's using a walker to go tap her letter monitors.[/quote]
But then Wheelloon would lose his will to live. ;)
-Joe Raygor

entguy1

Regis to step down
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'254965\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:44 PM\']Mr. J. Nelson and I had a small, albeit to the point conversation about this earlier. It follows a lot of what has been said already here.

My preferences, otherwise, go towards the likes of Jeff Probst, Ryan Seacrest, or possibly Anderson Cooper. It wouldn't rub me wrong either if they did rotating hosts every week for the forseeable future while Kelly is the "pillar of strength"... or something, for the show.

/Yeah, I'd have a pillar of strength to give her.[/quote]

Scratch Cooper off your list. He's a firm go for his own talk show from Warner Bros. for syndication.

wheelloon

Regis to step down
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'254970\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 04:49 PM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'254965\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:44 PM\']Mr. J. Nelson and I had a small, albeit to the point conversation about this earlier. It follows a lot of what has been said already here.

My preferences, otherwise, go towards the likes of Jeff Probst, Ryan Seacrest, or possibly Anderson Cooper. It wouldn't rub me wrong either if they did rotating hosts every week for the forseeable future while Kelly is the "pillar of strength"... or something, for the show.

/Yeah, I'd have a pillar of strength to give her.[/quote]

Scratch Cooper off your list. He's a firm go for his own talk show from Warner Bros. for syndication.
[/quote]

Oops, you're right, me bad. *Scratch*
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Regis to step down
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'254970\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:49 PM\']Scratch Cooper off your list. He's a firm go for his own talk show from Warner Bros. for syndication.[/quote]

Is he remaining at CNN?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:19:56 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

knagl

• Executive Producer
Regis to step down
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
I can't imagine that Sajak would want the added commitment.  I could see him guest-hosting for a week or longer as an interim host, but (and I'm not him, of course), I couldn't imagine wanting to add such a huge time commitment to his schedule when he already has a cakewalk gig with Wheel and more money than he'll ever need.

That Don Guy

Regis to step down
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
The first name that came to my mind was Seacrest, especially as, supposedly, he was interested in being Larry King's replacement at CNN.

The only problem might be if they tape it in New York, as he has to be in Hollywood for Idol for four months or so every year.

-- Don

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Regis to step down
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'254979\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:31 PM\']The only problem might be if they tape it in New York, as he has to be in Hollywood for Idol for four months or so every year.[/quote]
...and in Los Angeles on KIIS every morning.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Regis to step down
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I immediately thought Seacrest as well, but again the L.A. commitment is a big deal.

There have been some good suggestions. At the risk of turning this into a suggest any male host you can think of, how about Marc Summers? He co-hosted a talk show on Lifetime back in the mid-90s, similar to the "Live!" format.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Regis to step down
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Also, if Seacrest really is trying to become the next Dick Clark and carve his niche in the Pop scene, Live seems off-target no matter where they're taping.

Bergeron seems to be a logical solution, so it probably won't happen. ;-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:14:24 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

entguy1

Regis to step down
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'254976\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 04:19 PM\'][quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'254970\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 03:49 PM\']Scratch Cooper off your list. He's a firm go for his own talk show from Warner Bros. for syndication.[/quote]

Is he remaining at CNN?
[/quote]

Yep, still doing the 360.