Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis to step down  (Read 10485 times)

Matt Ottinger

Regis to step down
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
One of our patron saints is calling it quits.  Regis said on his show this morning that he'll be leaving the syndicated program later this year.  It seemed a little unclear when exactly his last show would be, but best guess is that it'll be at the end of the current season.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

catkins522

Regis to step down
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
I am wondering if the whole show will be cancelled as well...  Regis is a landmark, Kelly is an afterthought.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

tpirfan28

Regis to step down
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
So Regis and Oprah both won't be on the air next season.  Big changes in daytime talk.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Regis to step down
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'254935\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 10:14 AM\']I am wondering if the whole show will be cancelled as well...  Regis is a landmark, Kelly is an afterthought.[/quote]
There's no way they just pack up and go home when Regis steps down.  This isn't like Oprah, this is more like Bob Barker.  There's an enormous hole to fill, but as long as the show can make money, you have to try.  

Let me be the first to speculate wildly.  Unlike when they picked Kelly a decade ago, this time they have to go with a name.  Here's one: Sajak.

Neumms

Regis to step down
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254937\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 11:50 AM\']Let me be the first to speculate wildly.  Unlike when they picked Kelly a decade ago, this time they have to go with a name.  Here's one: Sajak.[/quote]

Here's another, same genre: Probst.

Unrealtor

Regis to step down
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
As long as we're picking other people from the game show world as potential replacements, Jeff Probst has been a decent fill-in for both Regis and Larry King on occasion.

Tom Bergeron would probably have a good personality for that gig, but I don't know that he's shown any interest in an interview format since his Fox/FX days.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Regis to step down
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »
Why do I get the feeling Kelly's hubby will get first shot?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

weaklink75

Regis to step down
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'254941\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 12:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254937\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 11:50 AM\']Let me be the first to speculate wildly.  Unlike when they picked Kelly a decade ago, this time they have to go with a name.  Here's one: Sajak.[/quote]

Here's another, same genre: Probst.
[/quote]

If he wasn't still doing Survivor, I'd say he'd be a favorite- but since they film back-to-back seasons now, he'd be gone for 2 months plus a year. It's not totally unworkable though, depending on locations and taping schedules.

Sajak might work, but I wonder if there would be some contract issues with Wheel. Plus he's 64- he wouldn't be a long term solution.

Matt Ottinger

Regis to step down
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'254945\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 12:49 PM\']Why do I get the feeling Kelly's hubby will get first shot?[/quote]
I see zero chance of that happening on a permanent basis.

[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'254946\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 12:55 PM\']Sajak might work, but I wonder if there would be some contract issues with Wheel. Plus he's 64- he wouldn't be a long term solution.[/quote]
Regis will step down right around his 80th birthday.  In the world of television, 16 years is definitely a "long term solution".  But who knows, Sajak may not even be interested in adding a project that requires a daily commitment, however brief.

Probst isn't a bad choice, I guess, but I just think Kelly works better opposite an older man.  Even though Probst is older than Ripa by a few years, and has plenty of years in the business, he's just never struck me as a seasoned veteran.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Regis to step down
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »
The show is in the midst of a Men of Radio Co-Host Search. Maybe this has something to do with it?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chad1m

Regis to step down
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'254935\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 10:14 AM\']I am wondering if the whole show will be cancelled as well...  Regis is a landmark, Kelly is an afterthought.[/quote]I think that's an unfair discredit to Kelly. She brings a lot to the table and, though I'm not as familiar with Kathie Lee Gifford's work there since I didn't watch much when she hosted (she left when I was 10), most people I know vastly prefer Ripa over Gifford. It will be weird not having a constant Regis presence on TV, but I'm not going to complain when a 79-year-old man wants to retire.
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'254948\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 01:13 PM\']The show is in the midst of a Men of Radio Co-Host Search. Maybe this has something to do with it?[/quote]Probably not. They do special weeks from time to time involving local markets.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:36:58 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Regis to step down
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254937\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 07:50 AM\']Here's one: Sajak.[/quote]
I suppose he already does the bicoastal thing, but I have to wonder if he'd want to fly back and forth when Wheel is in its taping season. Live isn't going to leave New York.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bandit_bobby

Regis to step down
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
How about Neil Patrick Harris?

weaklink75

Regis to step down
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254950\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 02:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254937\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 07:50 AM\']Here's one: Sajak.[/quote]
I suppose he already does the bicoastal thing, but I have to wonder if he'd want to fly back and forth when Wheel is in its taping season. Live isn't going to leave New York.
[/quote]

His primary residence is in Maryland, so it wouldn't be that bad (he takes the train a lot when he subs on Live). I just don't think he wants to have the grind of doing a live show all the time at this point in his life.

whewfan

Regis to step down
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
I know Pat had expressed interest in a talk show gig as far back as the Late Night debacle, so maybe he WOULD consider taking the spot if offered. Of course, they'd have to find a new Wheel host if that's the case. If the network decides not to continue on with the "Live" show, maybe this would be a chance for Pyramid to take its spot?