Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Revives Lingo  (Read 18826 times)

chad1m

GSN Revives Lingo
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
USA Today announced that Lingo is being revived to air on GSN. In repeats since 2007, the new season will be hosted by comedian Bill Engvall and will begin airing in June 2011.

So the good news is that Lingo's back! It's not really bad news that Bill Engvall is the host, it's more like, why? There's not much personality needed to host this one, so while Engvall is talented at what he does, I think he seems out of place here.

(Here's the GSN press release for anyone who wants it.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:24:45 PM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »
Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy are, sadly, still without game shows of their own.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/en...-lingo-on-gsn/1
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
This one has me scratching my head a bit. I know the trend is to hire comedians as hosts*, but Chuck was only what, 3 years removed from the show? I wonder if he's retired or if GSN thinks he's too "old"?

Hiring Bill for a word game is a really odd move...

*/Or in GSN's case, stars of 80s primetime dramas :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254631\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 04:03 PM\']Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy are, sadly, still without game shows of their own.[/quote]
There's still hope; they haven't cast the HPoA yet.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
i hope the bonus round stays the same
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

clemon79

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' post=\'254635\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 04:26 PM\']i hope the bonus round stays the same[/quote]
I kinda want them to go back to the original one, but it's mainly because I thought Commissioner Sunil from National Bingo Night got short-shrifted and he could use a new gig.

tpirfan28

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254636\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' post=\'254635\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 04:26 PM\']i hope the bonus round stays the same[/quote]
I kinda want them to go back to the original one, but it's mainly because I thought Commissioner Sunil from National Bingo Night got short-shrifted and he could use a new gig.
[/quote]
NO LINGO!  Love it.

Good game, glad to see it back.  GSN seems to be on a roll again.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

bandit_bobby

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
It's about time!!! This show should've never ceased first-run production in the first place back in 2007, even if Chuck Woolery didn't want to continue hosting it.

Matt Ottinger

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254632\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 07:14 PM\']This one has me scratching my head a bit. I know the trend is to hire comedians as hosts*, but Chuck was only what, 3 years removed from the show? I wonder if he's retired or if GSN thinks he's too "old"?[/quote]
My first thought is that on a channel dominated by reruns, including absurdly frequent Lingo reruns, seeing a new guy at the helm immediately tells you this is a new version.  

The original "No Lingo" bonus round ruled.  The $64,000 win that circulates is among the most exciting things I've ever seen on a game show, tempered only a little by the knowledge that the couple never got their money.

Also, I get to be the first person in the thread to say it:  Please bring back Shandi.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254641\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 09:23 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254632\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 07:14 PM\']This one has me scratching my head a bit. I know the trend is to hire comedians as hosts*, but Chuck was only what, 3 years removed from the show? I wonder if he's retired or if GSN thinks he's too "old"?[/quote]
My first thought is that on a channel dominated by reruns, including absurdly frequent Lingo reruns, seeing a new guy at the helm immediately tells you this is a new version.  
[/quote]
That actually crossed my mind after I posted, and that definitely makes sense. Still a bit odd to go from a traditional game show host to one of the Blue Collar guys, but that's the business nowadays so...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254641\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 06:23 PM\']The original "No Lingo" bonus round ruled.  The $64,000 win that circulates is among the most exciting things I've ever seen on a game show, tempered only a little by the knowledge that the couple never got their money.[/quote]And by comparison, the GSN version's bonus is completely anticlimactic. Either the team tears through the bonus round and makes the grabbing of balls pointless, or the team only gets a couple of words and the team has to fluke into winning the grand prize.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'254646\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 07:29 PM\']Either the team tears through the bonus round and makes the grabbing of balls pointless[/quote]
'Scuse me?

TonicBH

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254632\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 04:14 PM\']This one has me scratching my head a bit. I know the trend is to hire comedians as hosts*, but Chuck was only what, 3 years removed from the show? I wonder if he's retired or if GSN thinks he's too "old"?

Hiring Bill for a word game is a really odd move...

*/Or in GSN's case, stars of 80s primetime dramas :-P[/quote]

There could be that possibility that Chuck was probably offered to return, but declined.

There's hope it could be decent, but I doubt we'll see anything new outside of a set change and new eye candy, and still the same dumb contestants they had in the original run.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
i hope it's the bonus lingo round they will use
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

entguy1

GSN Revives Lingo
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
GSN is bringing back "Lingo," this time with former Blue Collar comedian Bill Engvall:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/462410...all_As_Host.php

I've talked to him several times, and he's one of the better comedian-as-host choices. (I assume the pilot he had with Mo Rocca tanked.)