Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: YOU are invited to the sneak preview  (Read 2746 times)

tvrandywest

YOU are invited to the sneak preview
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I'm helping the filmakers this Monday night in Pasadena, serving as emcee at the screening party for "Come On Down!"

A couple of years in the making, this documentary features Jay Wolpert, Roger Dobkowitz, your less-than-humble-poster, and others in a love-letter to the great granddaddy of game shows. There's lots of focus on the contestants and fans, and the footage I've seen so far really rocks!

The screening is a wine and hors d'ourves affair, and SOME contribution is necessary, even if not up in the range of the "suggested contribution" printed on the invite. Funds will finance the rest of the final edit and marketing; a portion will go to Barker's DJ&T Foundation. Roger will be there, Jay is about to become a grandfather and likely will NOT be in attendance, Barker will NOT be present, but other cool folks promise to be there.

Got something OTHER than fanboi torn jeans and a "pick me" T-shirt to wear? Got enough cash to AT LEAST cover what you eat and drink? Wanna mingle with kindred spirits while drinking some spirits? Wanna see a sneak preview of this fun documentary?

"Come On Down" is what you should do   ;-)

Invite is HERE. RSVP to comeondowndoc@gmail.com

The filmakers are really cool people, and it's a fun project. Hope you can make it!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:49:10 AM »
I'll make a donation of $12,000 if they can get Marc Breslow to show up ;-)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Is this party in anticipation of a theatrical or DVD release?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »
Sorely tempted to look into cheap airfare.  Probably won't be able to happen, but I'm tempted...
czambo@mac.com

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'254718\' date=\'Jan 14 2011, 04:23 PM\']Is this party in anticipation of a theatrical or DVD release?[/quote]
I know they are hoping for theatrical, but the realities of the biz are that it would be a long shot. Don't quote me, but my bet is it ends up on DVD. It could actually be a good seller considering the extensive fan base and, as of Monday night's screening, the 8,347 episodes with 71,316 contestants. [stats by Clock Game John - thanks, as always!]

Jay Wolpert has seen more of the footage than I have, and he sent me a message yesterday telling me how much he enjoyed it! That's a rave in my opinion!!

Randy
tvrandytwest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
Quick post-mortem:

Thanks to our fearless leader Chris, who was among the masses to attend and support the project. Ditto for the working pros and former Price and Goodson staffers who were a great audience for the rough cut of about half the film that was screened.

The filmakers captured the heart of the show with past contestants going back to 1974 telling their tales, showing their clips and modeling their prizes - some very entertaining stories. And they captured the history of the show and behind-the-scenes insight with clips and interviews from Jay Wolpert and Roger Dobkowitz (note to self: button your suit jacket when next interviewed on camera!)

Roger was like a rock star to the former contestants in attendance! Parking was free, thanks to MLK, and the wine was as fruity as.... (insert your joke here)! And Chris gets added kudos for noting that the party was inside a building marked with a prominent "33" - the address!

Thanks again to the friends who came. It was great re-connecting, and I appreciate your supporting these passionate and dedicated indie filmakers.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

That Don Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'254940\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 08:37 AM\']Thanks to our fearless leader Chris, who was among the masses to attend and support the project. Ditto for the working pros and former Price and Goodson staffers who were a great audience for the rough cut of about half the film that was screened.[/quote]

Any idea when the film is going to be released?  Maybe I can beg and plead California Film Institute to show it (although I'm going to be out of the country during most, if not all, of this year's Mill Valley Film Festival).

-- Don

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
The venue was located at 33 E. Union Street in Pasadena. The Price Is Right? 33? Get it?

It's a cute movie focusing on contestants after their appearances on TPIR. It's not a hard-hitting documentary and there was not one word about any of the behind-the-scenes strife. What was shown last night was an unfinished work; there are about 45 more minutes that they haven't finished and thus were not shown. We heard from Jay Wolpert who is very articulate and described some of the show's early history. We heard from Roger who likewise came across well and gave his unique perspective. Toward the end it became "all about Bob" but the filmmakers didn't interview him in the cut we saw last night. They have a mountain of clearance issues ahead of them with all of the clips and music they used. I would like to have heard more from Jay. All in all it is fun to watch.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:47:37 PM by chris319 »