Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your thoughts on an (almost) perfect idea  (Read 11337 times)

steveleb

Your thoughts on an (almost) perfect idea
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
Good morning all,

I rarely post (my bad), but I wanted to get this forum's feedback on what I believe may be a fantastic opportunity for all parties concerned.

Probably many of you have already seen the story on Ted Williams, the homeless man in Columbus, Ohio who turned out to have a "golden voice", as well as a one-time promising radio career that was derailed by his self-professed drug abuse and subsequent fallout.  For those who haven't, there are undoubtedly numerous links via YouTube. The viral video has gotten several million hits and the attention of the NBA Cleveland Cavaliers, who have offered Ted an announcing job as well as housing, as well as NFL Films, whose management is determined to give him a shot in that field.

Well...let's see--what other famous ex-Cleveland resident, currently a prominent daytime TV personality, works for a program that is currently offering on-air tryouts for guest announcers?  

And do we think this would be a GREAT idea for the show, Mr. Williams and, for that matter, CBS Daytime?

I would welcome your most respected thoughts.

Hastin

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
They are not auditioning for announcers, but comedians. They had an announcer, but now they want a comedian to be Drew's sidekick.
-Hastin :)

TheLastResort

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
Not a bad idea actually, but I don't know if he could read such a large volume of copy flawlessly.  He does have the perfect voice for it though.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'254075\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 08:57 AM\']He does have the perfect voice for it though.[/quote]
I question that. He's got a "boss jock" voice, unsurprising considering when he went to broadcasting school for training. He'd be great on a MOYL-type format, but honestly, the market for that type of voice is literally dying out. I'm not sure he would be a good announcer for a high-energy show like TPiR even if they *were* looking for a straight voice.

I wish him all the luck in the world with the Cavs gig, but I have to wonder whether the Cavs are just exploiting him for a little pub considering how much they need it after the Lebron James fiasco and subsequent on-court performance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:20:17 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254086\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 01:18 PM\']I wish him all the luck in the world with the Cavs gig, but I have to wonder whether the Cavs are just exploiting him for a little pub considering how much they need it after the Lebron James fiasco and subsequent on-court performance.[/quote]

Exploiting him implies that he's not being properly compensated.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'254089\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 12:12 PM\']Exploiting him implies that he's not being properly compensated.[/quote]
Yes it does. I hope his salary is competitive to others working in his new field and that his job security and long-term prospects are the same as any other candidate's would have been.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'254089\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 03:12 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254086\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 01:18 PM\']I wish him all the luck in the world with the Cavs gig, but I have to wonder whether the Cavs are just exploiting him for a little pub considering how much they need it after the Lebron James fiasco and subsequent on-court performance.[/quote]

Exploiting him implies that he's not being properly compensated.[/quote]
I thought I saw the phrase "housing assistance" mentioned somewhere.  IMO, this is about as exploitative as an episode of Ellen's talk show ie "We've brought you and your sob story on the show, so here's all this free stuff to make you feel better."
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'254110\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 07:47 PM\'][quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'254089\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 03:12 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254086\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 01:18 PM\']I wish him all the luck in the world with the Cavs gig, but I have to wonder whether the Cavs are just exploiting him for a little pub considering how much they need it after the Lebron James fiasco and subsequent on-court performance.[/quote]

Exploiting him implies that he's not being properly compensated.[/quote]
I thought I saw the phrase "housing assistance" mentioned somewhere.
[/quote]
The Cavs provided him with a house, mortgage-free. I'm guessing with the sponsor of their arena being Quicken Loans, that was a pretty easy situation.

If I were a game show producer, I'd definitely love to get him behind the mic, as I could listen to him read the phone book. :-) But I think Price would be a little too much for him, esp. as he's trying to regain his footing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:32:19 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254133\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 11:31 PM\']If I were a game show producer, I'd definitely love to get him behind the mic, as I could listen to him read the phone book. :-)[/quote]
"Tonight's winning SPINID belongs to..."

I'd be for it.  Hell, if he can sing, he could be the next Thurl Ravenscroft.  I'd be for that, too.
This signature is currently under construction.

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
His voice doesn't seem to fit Price, in my opinion.  Wheel and/or Jeopardy, on the other hand....

/NFL Flims apparently has also contacted him
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254133\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 11:31 PM\']The Cavs provided him with a house, mortgage-free. I'm guessing with the sponsor of their arena being Quicken Loans, that was a pretty easy situation.[/quote]
Because Mark Odor's favorite owner, Dan Gilbert, also owns Quicken Loans.

When I first heard the story, I thought it was a headline from The Onion.  It sounds like something they'd create.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
My problem with the chain of events is that Ted went from Guy on Off-Ramp to V/O guy for The Today Show. Nothing in between. He didn't work at a local radio station, didn't start on the bottom rung of the ladder and work his way up, just >zip!< he's got a Fast Forward Pass because he's got a great story to tell and anyone who wants to can grab him and get some publicity for helping out the homeless guy. What about all the people who are pulling long shifts in the industry, trying to move up and making a living out of it, and hoping for a career? Oh no, their story isn't compelling enough, gotta go with the homeless guy. And that's to say nothing about giving this sort of gig to a guy with an awesome mug shot collection. It is terrific that he's sober and trying to get his ducks arranged, but I really don't like any of it.

I would happily listen to him tell me when Family Guy is on next, or introduce the anchors on a local TV news show, but I really don't think he has the kind of voice for a copy-heavy show such as TPIR.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'254241\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 12:21 PM\']My problem with the chain of events is that Ted went from Guy on Off-Ramp to V/O guy for The Today Show. Nothing in between. He didn't work at a local radio station, didn't start on the bottom rung of the ladder and work his way up[/quote]
To be fair, we don't know that. Dude went to broadcasting school, and I would wager he did some of that small-market stuff in the '80s before he ran into the problems he did.

He didn't *re*start at the bottom, that's definitely true. And I can definitely see where some folks might find that frustrating, and certainly it doesn't teach the life lesson we would like it to, but that's fine because that lesson is a false one anyhow.

One of the unspoken lessons (because it's being glossed over by all of the feelgood-isn't-it-great-we're-all-helping-the-bum stuff the media is trumping, because that's the story that gets ratings) it DOES teach us is: life isn't always fair, not by a long shot, and you can do everything right and someone could still jump over you on the career ladder for all the wrong reasons. And we need to learn to deal with that because shiat happens. And I'm fine with that; in my opinion, that is sometimes a good lesson to teach.

/and Hulk Hogan got the American Gladiators gig over Mike Adamle, so we already knew all of this
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:53:39 PM by clemon79 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
I've had beef with Youtube for making so many people celebrities for the craziest reasons (see Dodson, Antoine). Ted has a great hard luck story, and it's not like he was asking to be thrust into the spotlight; he just wanted a second chance after admitting he screwed up. And although he's been all over the place the last few days, he does seem genuinely humbled by what has happened. I'm rooting for him.

Granted, Antoine didn't ask someone to make a song called Bed Intruder, and only wanted to confront his sister's would-be attacker, but it's still somewhat different, given how animated he was on the news report.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'254246\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 12:56 PM\']Ted has a great hard luck story, and it's not like he was asking to be thrust into the spotlight; he just wanted a second chance after admitting he screwed up. And although he's been all over the place the last few days, he does seem genuinely humbled by what has happened. I'm rooting for him.[/quote]That's my problem; it isn't a great hard-luck story. You don't become homeless by random chance, most of the time. He did some bad things, and now he's paying for them, and I don't like that companies are tripping over themselves to cash in.

Chris is right, life isn't fair, and sometimes things like this happen. But I'd also want to teach my kids to look beyond the story that the media wants to portray and to ask questions and to look for deeper meaning, and not just say "That sounds good, I'm going to run with that," and to actually work hard when things get tough, and not hang your hopes on becoming a Youtube sensation, or becoming the Next American Idol, or hoping that some game show will pick you because your story fits into their agenda and they'll snow you with cash and prizes. And if you do grab that brass ring, hold on for dear life, because it could take you to places you never dreamed.
Travis L. Eberle