Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 195547 times)

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'253395\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 05:31 PM\']Take a look at the list of Fremantle game shows being offered in this 1984 issue!

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/B...4%2002%2013.pdf[/quote]
The only Fremantle shows I noticed were LMaD and FF, which were distributed by different companies back then.

However, there's an ad from Genesis for a show called "Guilty or Innocent", which I've only read about in the Encyclopedia of games. Anyone know anything about that? I believe it was produced in Dallas...

Also, browsing other issues, I noticed a few hour-long dramas were syndicated as half-hour shows...interesting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
The issue also reveals (on page 107) that a 90-minute game show block for launch in fall '83 was cleared in 70 markets, but failed to get enough major markets to go all the way. The shows? Chain Reaction, Three on a Match and Eye Guess.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GameShowGuru

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 07:08:02 PM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'252428\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 11:54 PM\']Too bad we got strip "Family Feud" and not "Strip Family Feud". Oh well...

Josh[/quote]

Personally, (speaking of the ad) I wouldn't have watched the show unless I knew I would see some "V of Doom", and I ain't talking Viacom, either.  

(though, the V of Doom placed at the bottom center of the ad so that you had to scroll down to see it makes this ad so naughtily appropriate). >:-)

GameShowGuru

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'253397\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 05:51 PM\']http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/B...4%2002%2013.pdf
The only Fremantle shows I noticed were LMaD and FF, which were distributed by different companies back then.

However, there's an ad from Genesis for a show called "Guilty or Innocent", which I've only read about in the Encyclopedia of games. Anyone know anything about that? I believe it was produced in Dallas...[/quote]

I actually remember watching an episode or two of this show back in the fall of 1984.  Essentially you watched a re-enactment of a courtroom trial in which 12 jury members had to vote if the defendant was guilty or innocent and the ones who voted correctly got to split a cash prize pot.  If all 12 members voted correctly, they all split an even larger cash prize pot.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
Page 107's picture has just narrowed down when the second Jeopardy! pilot was taped, thanks to the logo being on Alex's podium.

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'253398\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 05:58 PM\']The issue also reveals (on page 107) that a 90-minute game show block for launch in fall '83 was cleared in 70 markets, but failed to get enough major markets to go all the way. The shows? Chain Reaction, Three on a Match and Eye Guess.[/quote]
Three NBC daytime games from three consecutive decades, all produced by Bob Stewart and hosted by Bill Cullen. Interesting.

The blurb doesn't specify whether it was a repeat package or all-new episodes, which leaves two possible conclusions:
* If they were repeat packages, we now know something substantial exists of two games we all thought were long gone...and if that's the case, Sony(?) would make a mint off the game show fanbase by putting them on manufacture-on-demand DVD.
* If they were all-new episodes, we have a definite "What If?" situation and a possibility of three pilots (or more) that tried to revive three cult classics...but if that's the case, wouldn't we have heard something about them by now?

If it's the latter, Bill would likely have been available for at least one of them -- in 1983 he did Child's Play through September 16, and his next game Hot Potato recorded its pilot on December 1.

In either case, the first time I saw this I just wanted to cry and yell a profanity or two. Adding insult to injury is that the blurb says Syndicast was trying to sell the block for the 1984-85 season, but that evidently failed as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:52:51 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
a 90-minute game show block for launch in fall '83 was cleared in 70 markets, but failed to get enough major markets to go all the way.
Damn! In that same era one of our shows was considered a "go" if it could be sold to just one network's station group which consisted at the time of, what, five or six stations? TPIR was a "go" having been sold just to the NBC stations with plenty of money to go around (even factoring in Barker's salary) and TPIR is not a cheap show to do. The revenue from other stations was gravy.

Even though we're talking about three shows and 70 markets, we're also talking Bob Stewart who was not as munificent as Mr. Goodson and would certainly not pay his talent Barker-sized salaries.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:05:34 AM by chris319 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
Anyone know if there were actually pilots produced for the Fall '83 editions of CR, 3oaM, & Eye Guess?

--Jamie

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'253403\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 07:19 PM\']The blurb doesn't specify whether it was a repeat package or all-new episodes, which leaves two possible conclusions:
* If they were repeat packages, we now know something substantial exists of two games we all thought were long gone[/quote]You really think they were gonna syndicate 20 year old reruns of a game show?  Strike one.
and if that's the case, Sony(?) would make a mint off the game show fanbase by putting them on manufacture-on-demand tDVD.
Yes, the HUGE game show fan base.  Those BCI sets were great sellers, weren't they? Strike two.
In either case, the first time I saw this I just wanted to cry and yell a profanity or two. Adding insult to injury is that the blurb says Syndicast was trying to sell the block for the 1984-85 season, but that evidently failed as well.
Try throwing your computer out the window, then.  Strike three.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'253402\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 07:15 PM\']I actually remember watching an episode or two of this show back in the fall of 1984.  Essentially you watched a re-enactment of a courtroom trial in which 12 jury members had to vote if the defendant was guilty or innocent and the ones who voted correctly got to split a cash prize pot.  If all 12 members voted correctly, they all split an even larger cash prize pot.[/quote]
Thanks! I remember seeing Genesis's name on a few other court shows of the decade (as well as the syndie $otC), but I think that was their first attempt at a court show.

As popular as court shows are, wonder if an idea like that could work now...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

ChuckNet

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:20 PM »
Anyone check out the early 1981 issues? Among the noteworthy shows that didn't make it to air that fall were Chuck Barris's $1M Talent Search and attempted Dollar a Second revial w/Bob Eubanks, as well as Hittin' Home, an Hour Magazine-type show to have been hosted by Chuck Woolery...one issue also featured a profile of moral crusader Rev. Donald Wildmon and his joint efforts w/Jerry Fallwell to try and clean up TV.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'253464\' date=\'Dec 27 2010, 01:57 PM\']Anyone know if there were actually pilots produced for the Fall '83 editions of CR, 3oaM, & Eye Guess?

--Jamie[/quote]
I have seen references here and there to The New Three On A Match and The New Eye Guess having shot pilots.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'253469\' date=\'Dec 27 2010, 05:45 PM\'][A]ttempted Dollar a Second revial w/Bob Eubanks[/quote]
I did notice that...for some reason I always thought that was an ABC pilot? The theme was, of course, used for another syndicated Barris show: Treasure Hunt.

Jimmy Owen

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'252453\' date=\'Dec 13 2010, 03:51 PM\']The source I have -- Erickson's Syndicated TV book -- noted that CBS pulled out at 64K.  I would guess (if the story is accurate) that the sale was done at the O&O level and only later did someone at the network level mention that this may be problematic.  Before you say it -- I know that the book has errors too.[/quote]
The 3/10/75 issue of Broadcasting has an initial story about Viacom relaunching the show on page 26. The 3/24/75 issue of Broadcasting has a blurb about the CBS O&O sale on page 42.  The 4/14/75 issue has a story detailing the CBS O&O pullout on page 30.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:50:04 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'253398\' date=\'Dec 26 2010, 05:58 PM\']The issue also reveals (on page 107) that a 90-minute game show block for launch in fall '83 was cleared in 70 markets, but failed to get enough major markets to go all the way. The shows? Chain Reaction, Three on a Match and Eye Guess.

-Jason[/quote]

And it was being tried again for Fall of 1984 in that Fall of 1984 was the year for Game shows.  In the special NATPE issue from 1984, they have a big article talking about 1984 being the year for game shows.  Also, MCA was going to revive the Movie Game and name it: The $1,000,000 Movie Game.

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
Oh yeah, in the 1983 issues, MCA is promoting it's Pop N' Rocker Game.