Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 195587 times)

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Check this out!

Ads for a show that never came to Fruition with Jack Narz called Phrase It Also, they promoted a game show called Press Your Luck not to be confused with the Peter Tomarken Press Your Luck we all know and love but one based on the game Simon.  Produced by Ralph Edwards and distributed by Columbia Television.  Who would have thought Pat would end up working for CPT nine years later?

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »

golden-road

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »
Saw the ad for Newlywed Game, thought Golden West handled it. Or do you remember seeing a Worldvision logo at the end?

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
Any way to help out those of us too lazy to search with some page numbers?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kniwt

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »
The whole issue is chock full of gems, and I'm only halfway through it.

Part of the fun is not knowing what I'm going to find. Especially those upcoming Barry-Enright debuts that are still a hit with all the game show kids 'round these parts.

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
The whole issue?  Holy cow, I just realized the guy has scanned virtually EVERY issue from 1938 to 1980, over two thousand in all.  What  a resource!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

narzo

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
this guys archive is a gold mine,

"Sale Of The Century" was being sold in weekly syndication for fall 1975? (cleared in 37 markets)

February 1976 stations were buying "The $64,000 Question" for fall and not $128,000?

For fall of '79 Chuck Barris was pitching:

"Chuck Barris Hour Talkshow"?

"How's Your Mother In-Law" with Pat McCormick?

and (strap in kids, but probably should be no big surprise)...

"The Divorce Game"?????

snowpeck

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 01:36:25 AM »
Apparently Art Linkletter was set to be host of I've Got a Secret during convention season in 1972... wonder why that ended up not happening.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
I used to read the archived copies of this magazine in college, but it sounds like I may have just found a new time-waster. Good find!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

golden-road

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'252367\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 02:24 AM\']February 1976 stations were buying "The $64,000 Question" for fall and not $128,000?[/quote]

Because it was supposed to be "$64K Question", but then Name That Tune decided to add the Mystery Tune, so "Question" added the end of season tournament to compensate. Problem is (and one of the reasons it only lasted two years) was that it was originally set to air on the CBS O&O's, but came up against their $25,000 limit (which at the time, applied to both network & syndie). Viacom then made deals with Metromedia & Group W owned stations.

Jimmy Owen

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 06:01:35 AM »
Great find! Thanks Jamey!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »
Random thoughts from reading the 2/18/80 issue, more or less in chronological order...

* Vidal Sassoon tried doing a talk show? It does look interesting, I'll give it that.

* Lendon Smith was still doing stuff in 1980?!

* Both Play The Percentages and Bullseye were being pitched to stations, especially odd considering the former had only been on for a month and the latter wouldn't appear until Fall.

* The Nighttime Price is Right is not mentioned anywhere for Fall '80, which is somewhat strange considering they had about a month of tapings left to do (assuming they actually stopped at 300 episodes).

* Pics of Robin Ward's To Tell The Truth pilot. Doesn't look that much different than the series, from what I can tell. If the stories of some other Canadian personality doing a pilot are true, then Goodson had already picked Ward for the series by this point.

* Bill Cullen's Punch Lines pilot gets a brief mention on one page, along with a couple of other unsold games.

* Page 165 gives a brief blurb on a game called Fantasies Fulfilled. I don't know if it's directly related to the pilot Bill did almost a year earlier, mainly since the picture associated with it looks really odd.

* A show named Star Tracks, produced by some company called The Fremantle Corporation, claiming to have the most expensive set ever built for a syndicated program. If it's the same company, things are starting to make a whole lot more sense.

* I've never seen Leonard Nimoy with a mustache. I've seen him with a grin on that "Bilbo Baggins" music video thing, but never a mustache. And apparently he's the "Host Narrator" (no slash).

* Norm Crosby kinda looks like Dennis James from that angle.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

narzo

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
the 3-16-81 issue has a very small ad from Metromedia mentioning "Rodeo Drive" with Peter Tomarkin is available for fall '81.  In the same ad is "Super Pay Cards", the history books show which one got sold.

narzo

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'252371\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 04:29 AM\'][quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'252367\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 02:24 AM\']February 1976 stations were buying "The $64,000 Question" for fall and not $128,000?[/quote]

Because it was supposed to be "$64K Question", but then Name That Tune decided to add the Mystery Tune, so "Question" added the end of season tournament to compensate. Problem is (and one of the reasons it only lasted two years) was that it was originally set to air on the CBS O&O's, but came up against their $25,000 limit (which at the time, applied to both network & syndie). Viacom then made deals with Metromedia & Group W owned stations.
[/quote]

but even at 64k that would have been way over the CBS limit so why would their stations even consider it?  When this ad was published (2-23-76) the station list was definitely the metromedia stations.

golden-road

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'252382\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 01:05 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'252371\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 04:29 AM\'][quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'252367\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 02:24 AM\']February 1976 stations were buying "The $64,000 Question" for fall and not $128,000?[/quote]

[/quote]

but even at 64k that would have been way over the CBS limit so why would their stations even consider it?  When this ad was published (2-23-76) the station list was definitely the metromedia stations.
[/quote]

...I found it on Wiki, sorry. Maybe, tentative deals were made, but then CBS applied the limit to both network & syndie, causing Viacom to look for alternate means, then they decided to up it to $128K.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:25:18 PM by golden-road »