Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 195556 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #600 on: November 09, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
In Cleveland, WJ[K]W/channel 8 took TJW when the syndie version first came out.  WEWS/channel 5 took TTD to replace The Cross-Wits a year or two later.  I don't recall both of the B&E shows being on the same station.  Bullseye never cleared in CLE. 
In '86, WBNX aired both after WBNX launched in December '85.  IIRC, TJW was around 6:30 PM after either Sale of the Century or The Crosswits, and TTD was at 11 PM.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:57:56 AM by MikeK »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #601 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
In addition to the nighttime TPIR reboot and Richard Dawson's short-lived return to Family Feud, Mark Goodson Productions with the help of their first syndicator Viacom tried to get into the courtroom game with another non-game show entity: "I Accuse!" (pages 24-25; March 14, 1994)

But the 60% clearance -- even in the top 10 markets -- wasn't enough to get it off the ground (I think a minimum of 90% is required for a full rollout).

aaron sica

« Reply #602 on: December 08, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
(I think a minimum of 90% is required for a full rollout).

You "think"? I'm disappointed. I expect you to KNOW!

calliaume

« Reply #603 on: February 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »
Bumping this thread.  Beside Broadcasting Magazine, there are dozens of magazines from radio, television, and music here in great numbers.  (For example, every copy of Billboard magazine from 1940 to 2014 is here, along with long-gone magazines like Cashbox and Record World.  For me, that's the Holy Grail - I used to buy Billboard off the stands occasionally, but it was too expensive a hobby to maintain.)

Anyway, the main site is at:  http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm - and please don't ask him to put more stuff up; I'm stunned at the amount that's there.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
I used to buy Billboard off the stands occasionally, but it was too expensive a hobby to maintain.)

I hear you.  I actually had a subscription to Billboard for quite a while, but that was back in the '80s - when the music was actually good.  I couldn't wait to get it every week and followed Casey Kasem's American Top 40 each week as well.  I have almost every issue of Billboard from about mid-1977 to early 2004 - and they take up a LOT of room!  I haven't bought it in a long time because most of today's music just doesn't do it for me.  In hindsight, I probably should have cancelled my subscription a few years before I did - but old habits are hard to break!

They're neat to look back on, and remember better times for pop music!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

johnnya2k3

« Reply #605 on: February 27, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »
You can still read Billboard and Variety at public libraries everywhere; as for Broadcasting & Cable? The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library (which has been my library for almost four years now) used to subscribe to it until a few years ago, and I don’t know of any others that have B&C from 2003 on.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #606 on: February 27, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
You can still read Billboard and Variety at public libraries everywhere

Or, if your library is remotely modern, in your living room on your tablet.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
You can still read Billboard and Variety at public libraries everywhere

Or, if your library is remotely modern, in your living room on your tablet.
Quite frankly, I still prefer the print versions because of the trade ads, especially the "For Your Considerations" as awards season is coming to an end.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
I assure you, nobody cares.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2018, 11:27:56 PM »
Quite frankly, I still prefer the print versions because of the trade ads, especially the "For Your Considerations" as awards season is coming to an end.

I prefer being able to read publications without having to put on pants.

/not that that stopped me before
//wait, what
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #610 on: March 02, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
Back to the ads: Love Connection continued to throw shade at Studs as 1992 arrived ("Facts are Facts", pgs. 8-9, 1/6/92)

/That same issue also features ads for Night Heat, which is yet to be on a subchannel (CBS owns the U.S. rights)
//Night Heat probably drew more males 25-54 on CBS over Johnny Carson and Nightline, I think
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:49:36 AM by johnnya2k3 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #611 on: March 02, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »
/That same issue also features ads for Night Heat, which is yet to be on a subchannel
I mean, how many viewers remember the show? I know some obscure shows have ended up on subchannels (GetTV airs quite a few), but I think that's obscure even for them.

Interesting that the Love Connection ad refers to it being a Telepictures production, when by that point, Warner Bros. was the sole distributor. The show seemed to change hands a few times once Lorimar and Telepictures parted ways in the late-80s. At one point, Lorimar distributed the show, then WB took over in 1990 or '91. WB would eventually absorb Lorimar a couple years later.

Telepictures ended up distributing the Pat Bullard revival.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

johnnya2k3

« Reply #612 on: March 02, 2018, 02:28:30 AM »
I mean, how many viewers remember the show? I know some obscure shows have ended up on subchannels (GetTV airs quite a few), but I think that's obscure even for them.
I do, as well as many younger viewers at the time who found it as an alternative to Johnny Carson...until Arsenio Hall came along, of course.

But during the early ’90s, Warner Bros.’ ads in B&C were like Viacom’s in the ’70s: more simplistic with a white background, while Paramount’s and 20th Century Fox’s tended to be more flashy

aaron sica

« Reply #613 on: March 02, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
I do

And obviously, because HE does, it's important.

BrandonFG

« Reply #614 on: March 02, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
I do, as well as many younger viewers at the time who found it as an alternative to Johnny Carson...until Arsenio Hall came along, of course.
*reads Wiki for Night Heat*

Okay. I won't dispute the show got solid ratings. But, I think you're getting your wires crossed, and making this more than it is. Yes, it gave Johnny Carson competition. Great. It's still a relatively obscure Canadian cop show. And with the exception of Da Vinci's Inquest, I can't think of too many shows from Canada that got lengthy syndicated runs in the States. Maybe Flashpoint.

MeTV recently aired TJ Hooker and MacGyver, both popular American shows from that same era. And neither lasted very long. You think a network is going to air an even more obscure series? If anything from that era were to appear on TV, I'd expect it to be Silk Stalkings.

/That theme song...
//If you catch my drift
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!