Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN getting a bit stale?  (Read 16010 times)

dale_grass

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'251363\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 08:33 PM\']I'm just waiting for a Maury Povich commercial stating his new game show on GSN: "Who is the father".[/quote]

[Bzzz.] The title would be "You ARE the Father!" with a catch phrase sure to sweep the nation: "Shoulda wore a jimmy hat."

The only thing I watch nowadays is Dawson Feud, the occasional Hollywood Squares, and the new 1 v. 100.

Offshored2007

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'251412\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 09:53 AM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'251363\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 08:33 PM\']I'm just waiting for a Maury Povich commercial stating his new game show on GSN: "Who is the father".[/quote]

[Bzzz.] The title would be "You ARE the Father!" with a catch phrase sure to sweep the nation: "Shoulda wore a jimmy hat."

The only thing I watch nowadays is Dawson Feud, the occasional Hollywood Squares, and the new 1 v. 100.
[/quote]
The only thing I am watching is the new 1 vs 100.  As others have stated, the same repeats of the classic game shows are
aired over and over (ex: the first six months of the Clark Pyramid from 1982), and I am not interested in shows like
Baggage.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'251412\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 06:53 AM\'][Bzzz.] The title would be "You ARE the Father!" with a catch phrase sure to sweep the nation: "Shoulda wore a jimmy hat."[/quote]
Goes nowhere without his jim-hat
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
I have watched The Network For Games exactly once during the year 2010.
If it wasn't for ESPN-U and ESPN Classic, I'd have scuttled the digital tier many months ago from my cable service.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »
When I was a kid, I loved arcade games.  (Who am I kidding--I still do...)  I would drop everything if I saw an arcade cabinet somewhere and start begging my mom for a quarter.

We used to fly to Florida every year at spring break to visit Grandma.  And every year, we'd arrive at the airport, check in with the skycap, and walk up the long ramp toward the security checkpoint.  And the Kent County International Airport had, in addition to a bar and restaurant and gift shop and observation deck, its own video arcade.  Every time we went up there, my brother and I would go tearing off for this arcade while waiting for our flight to leave.

And in a time when arcades were stocked with games like Zaxxon, Frogger, Ms. Pac-Man, and the like, the KCIA arcade had Night Driving, Pong, and other such monochrome games that even an Atari system would laugh at as being primitive.  The selection was crap, the presentation was crap (they were all mounted in ugly generic cabinets), everything about it was crap.  It was an arcade, yes, but I never wanted to play anything in that room.  And they never bothered improving it, because--let's face it, where else are ya gonna go for video games, kid?  You're stuck at the airport; you wanna play video games, you'll play the crap we chose for you.

That's pretty much how I feel about GSN nowadays.  The selection is crap, the presentation is crap, everything about it is crap.  It's a channel for game shows, yes, but I never want to watch anything on it.  And they never bother improving it, because--let's face it, where else are ya gonna go for game shows, kid?  You're stuck with us; you wanna watch game shows, you'll watch the crap we choose for you.

So I don't.  Unless I'm missing something, I believe the last thing I watched on GSN was "What's My Line?", back when they were running it every night at 3am.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Jeremy Nelson

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
The last time I watched GSN on a consistent basis was 2005 or so; since then, I've been wrapped up in college stuff, work, or whatever else. So for me, life happened, and GSN kept moving down the totem pole. That being said, I do think that they have a good crop of originals for the first time since 2002 or 2003.

For GSN, I think mornings and afternoons should be a healthy mix of classic from all decades. Why? Because game shows are a nostalgia kick for most people, whether they're fans or innocent bystanders. You watched them when you were sick, Grandma might have had them on, and the theme songs stay stuck in your head whether you like them or not. I even know people who'll watch a couple episodes of whatever show is on with me because they get a kick out of how people used to look "back in the day".

We yell at the TV, we cheer, we laugh at stupid answers and show our friends how smart or stupid we are; game shows as a whole are a versatile genre of programming, and looking at the GSN schedule, I don't think that's represented. I'm not really keen on them giving high replay to post 2000 shows; should they be on the schedule? Yes, but not in this capacity. They're doing to these shows what they did to Dawson Feud and Match Game as late as 2007 or 2008; running them into the ground by overplaying them. At least with older shows, you can get a kick out of seeing old favorites; by overplaying new stuff, I thought people would have a more negative reaction to shows they're already saying "meh" about in the first place. Shows like Beat The Clock 79 and Trebek Double Dare could have made for decent morning/afternoon fare, but got relegated to post-midnight duty.

So to answer the original question- yes, GSN has gotten stale, but considering the programming, it's worse than ever.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'251908\' date=\'Nov 30 2010, 09:47 AM\']The selection was crap, the presentation was crap (they were all mounted in ugly generic cabinets), everything about it was crap.  It was an arcade, yes, but I never wanted to play anything in that room.  And they never bothered improving it, because--let's face it, where else are ya gonna go for video games, kid?  You're stuck at the airport; you wanna play video games, you'll play the crap we chose for you.[/quote]
They were doing you a damn favor. I would *kill* to see that room today. :)

/get the fark off of my lawn

Jeremy Nelson

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'251911\' date=\'Nov 30 2010, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'251908\' date=\'Nov 30 2010, 09:47 AM\']The selection was crap, the presentation was crap (they were all mounted in ugly generic cabinets), everything about it was crap.  It was an arcade, yes, but I never wanted to play anything in that room.  And they never bothered improving it, because--let's face it, where else are ya gonna go for video games, kid?  You're stuck at the airport; you wanna play video games, you'll play the crap we chose for you.[/quote]
They were doing you a damn favor. I would *kill* to see that room today. :)

/get the fark off of my lawn
[/quote]
An arcade in an airport? There's a foreign concept (at least, to me....I was born in 87, so arcades were in their last few golden years when I started investing my quarters). Lucky you.

Considering how layovers and delays are the norm nowadays, an airport arcade would be welcomed with open arms..it 's not like your airport could use a fourth Cinnabon.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:20:25 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

saussage

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'251957\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 02:14 PM\']Considering how layovers and delays are the norm nowadays, an airport arcade would be welcomed with open arms..it 's not like your airport could use a fourth Cinnabon.[/quote]
Arcades need to be kept up. Most remaining places with cabinets are in poor shape since all people want to do is run the machines down to the ground gathering every last quarter they can get. They have control issues, eating quarters, bad burn in etc. Compared to arcade games, how much upkeep does a concession stand or fast food joint need? As long as you can feed your public I guess. If I can't play, I might as well eat :) The only upkeep I need to worry about is my belly :)

GSN needs to realize who they're targeting as an audience and direct quality programming to that audience. Give the public good arcades games to play and people will play. Give viewers good shows to watch and people will watch. Dond's days are numbered if they keep playing it as often as they do now. People will get bored. I can only play Pac-Man for so long :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:25:55 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

trainman

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'251957\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 11:14 AM\']An arcade in an airport? There's a foreign concept...[/quote]

Literally. Last year, I got rid of almost all of my Australian coins playing The Simpsons pinball in the arcade in the Melbourne airport, on my way back to the U.S.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:56:27 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »
Y'know, I was thinking arcades in airports are an odd offering, until I had to remember that Norfolk International had a fairly nice-sized arcade up until about 10 years ago, when they underwent a massive renovation. From what I remember, the games were fairly modern (maybe early-to-mid-90s at the newest), but there was an old-school basketball shootout game. I just remember a half-burned-out eggcrate display and the chain-link basketball net. Well, that and spending several quarters trying to score 40 points to get a free game. :-)

/My highest was 37
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'251980\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 08:19 PM\']/My highest was 37[/quote]In a row?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'251981\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 08:36 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'251980\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 08:19 PM\']/My highest was 37[/quote]In a row?
[/quote]
Will try not to make it 38 on the way to the parking lot

/hey
//you
///get back here

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 12:53:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'251910\' date=\'Nov 30 2010, 10:59 AM\']I even know people who'll watch a couple episodes of whatever show is on with me because they get a kick out of how people used to look "back in the day".[/quote]I'll grab episodes of Card Sharks because I enjoy watching Jim Perry work, and one of the questions on an episode from today pertained to President Carter's decisions in dealing with Red China.

If THAT doesn't date your show, then nothing will.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'251969\' date=\'Dec 1 2010, 08:09 PM\']People will get bored. I can only play Pac-Man for so long :)[/quote]
I beg to differ. Seriously, if it didn't require a dedicated Xbox 360 and tv, I'd make a cabinet out of this version, pronto.

It's kinda sad to see that "arcades" have become empty mall storefronts that consist of a half empty claw machine, a solitary Cruis'n World cabinet, a temporary tattoo dispenser, and an "electronic carny" (one of those machines that contains pretty decent merchandise that only one out of every 300 or so people win). That is the full inventory at the mall near my school.

Some of the games on XBLA/PSN would work well as new arcade cabinets. I know it's mainly a cost issue, but I think the advent of massive online gaming is what will keep the arcade from ever being a viable investment again.

Oh well- at least there's Dave and Buster's.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:42:32 PM by Jeremy Nelson »