Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN getting a bit stale?  (Read 16011 times)

saussage

GSN getting a bit stale?
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »
I've been watching GSN less and less for a while. I'm sure I'm not alone doing this. As well, I've also noticed the GSN forums not exactly hopping with excitement. Is this a trend? I've seen the best and the worst of GSN. Here's my quick summary of the past 10 years:

1) Started to watch just after the dark period was over, all the content even though was "classic", it was fresh and different for me. I was glued day and night. repeats sucked but lived with it.
2) GSN wanted to get into reality TV and gambling. Therefore, a fresh new logo and name was also in need. Goodbye Game Show Network. Goodbye to most classic game shows and say hello to newish and original content. Some shows are ok, others were like "what were they thinking?" (Naturally Stoned anyone?).
3) Today, most shows are relatively new and not so classic. Some have also went into repeat syndrome and help drive ratings to the ground too. How much dond do we need to watch?

Now 10 years later, I watch GSN about 5 hours/week. A far cry from the 25+ hours I did 10 years ago. I actually watch card games on GSN and that's about it. I'll turn on GameTV for my classics itch (and youtube or similar places with internet media-rich content I can get my hands on which wasn't available 10 years ago). GSN is losing an audience but I don't think they're gaining a new one. Maybe GSN has "jumped the shark". There's just too many other good options to choose from or some people have watched their fill of game shows and now doing something else with their lives. Are you watching GSN? What do you like? (eg: Family Feud O'Hurley) What do you miss? (eg: Inquisition) what do you hate? Or, what have you been watching elsewhere to fill the void? (eg: new Video and audio clips from this forum).
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

xavier45

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
At least over the next month GSN will have a few things worth watching with the Wheel marathon on Black Friday and the just announced weeks worth of What's My Line? and I've Got A Secret during the week of December 13th.

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
Like I've said in another thread, I've moved on. I don't need GSN anymore.

But no matter what how hard GSN tries to become the DOND network, to me, the G-T library is the most diverse game show library in existence, now and forever.

But truth be told, the only things I wish GSN would get as of right now would be the remaining episodes of Press Your Luck (I'm sick to death of the ones that have been shown so far) and Super Password (I was all set to resume work on my episode guide for that show, when suddenly, it was completely yanked. Now I don't know if I will ever finish it in my lifetime, especially given the way they now lease for G-T shows). I don't wanna come off as spoiled and greedy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:05:16 AM by gameshowlover87 »

J.R.

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:38 AM »
Am I the only one who wishes the term "Dark Period" be retired?

I don't think it's offensive or anything. I just think it's dated.
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
I've watched exactly 30 minutes of GSN this month.  When we first got GSN back in '97, I would watch four-five hours a day and tape overnight.  Most modern game shows don't hold my interest.  TPiR and Cash Cab are exceptions.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
I actually watched for the first time in a while, for MG74 and used to watch the overnight Pyramid hour earlier in the year. Other than that, GSN's amateurish ways have turned me away. I can get my fix from Youtube or sites like the Game Show Vault, and even then I don't sit through full episodes like I used to. Maybe it's because these shows aren't as rare anymore, who knows? The last time it was really good was around 2003, a nice mix of old and new games.

However, the last five years have given me a pretty sour view of this genre, not just GSN.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'251145\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 12:54 AM\']However, the last five years have given me a pretty sour view of this genre, not just GSN.[/quote]

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that. Everytime I try to watch a game show from today, it just comes off as forced, and lacks the charm of the game shows from the past.

Now I'm not one to say that anything before the mid-1990s is good right-off-the-bat, but I get the feeling that back then, especially in the 80's, game shows had more of a relaxed, laid back atmosphere, where they weren't afraid to have fun, and be a little goofy at times. Nowadays, it's rushed and forced.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
I watched the first bit of GSN I've watched in a very long time when me and the GF decided to give the new 1 vs. 100 a shot.

The likelihood of that number remaining "30 minutes" for the month is high.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GrandGame1440

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:18:32 AM »
If anytime in the history of the network should be considered the "dark period" it is now.  1997-98 were heaven compared to the current state of the network.

Craig Karlberg

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:17 AM »
GSN was a nice escape from reality for many years.  Now, it too has become "part" of reality so to speak.  Try to "DoND" me all you want, but it just won't fly with me.  Before Comcast dumped the analog feed off my line-up in 2008, I could watch at least 5-6 hours a day, now I'm lucky if I see it 5-6 hours a MONTH!

The best part were the classics from my lifetime(late 1960's- 1980's).  The thing I miss most was the truvia games like Super Decades & Trivia Track.  Those were the good ol' days of GSN.  The one thing I truly hate were the time compressions & the tedious promos for DoND.  If I want my "classic" game show fix, YT's the place for me untill 2011 when the Game Show Vault will soon enter my surfing picture.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
YT's the place for me untill 2011 when the Game Show Vault will soon enter my surfing picture.

Game Show Vault has been open for a while now. You're missing out on the Thanksgiving Viewers Choice voting which ends in 2 days, too. :-P

Back to the thread subject, I haven't watched GSN since The Money List was cancelled. In fact I no longer even have it; since GSN is part of the sports tier here, I cancelled it to save the money. Based on the current programming schedule, I doubt I'll be reinstating it on my cable lineup anytime soon.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:48:44 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Ian Wallis

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
Am I the only one who wishes the term "Dark Period" be retired?

I don't think it's offensive or anything. I just think it's dated.

Who invented that term anyway?  I never liked it.  To me, '97-98 was the one time we got to see some of the rarer shows in GSN's library - stuff like Break the Bank, $20,000 Pyramid, Go, Treasure Hunt, Hollywood Connection, etc.  Without that six-month period, I doubt that GSN ever would have aired those shows on the regular schedule.

I agree that these once treasured GT shows aren't that rare anymore, and maybe after a while we'll get tired of watching them, but there are still thousands of shows in GSN's vault that they have never aired, and seemingly never will now.  It always disappointed me that they couldn't have shown a more diverse lineup once the so-called "dark period" ended and at least run through everything once.  They could have aired Goodson-Todman during the week, and more shorter-run Barry-Enright and Barris shows on weekends, rather than taking off a series a third of the way through and never airing it again.  It was also exciting when they picked up additional libraries, such as when Bob Stewart's shows joined the network for the first time.

If you look at the overall history of GSN, the stuff they have aired has been great.  I enjoyed watching it from 1994-2004, but I've moved on.  I'll always be interested in their new shows - I'm looking forward to seeing 1 vs 100 at some point - but it's just too bad there can't be a permanent home for classic game shows in a 500-channel universe.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'251169\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 11:30 AM\']Who invented that term anyway?[/quote]IIRC, there was an old Usenet poster (he also had a webpage) that had a poem about "Mr. Hostman" bringing back "Goodson-Todmoan on GSN Teevee".  I want to say it was James Fabiano...but I could be wrong.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of today's game shows.  I like the genre, just not the way they are making them these days.  If it were Westerns, I'd still be a fan of Gene Autry but not Deadwood.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
If I'm home at 9 AM on a weekend I'll have Squares on if I remember.  That's it.  Nothing else that is on while I'm home and awake interests me.  But honestly, "TV on as noise" has really gone down for me in the past year, whether it's game shows or other programming.

Although, the one episode I caught of Newlywed Game by accident, Sherri Shepherd really works for that show.  Not that I would make a habit out of watching it, but it is the right fit for those who would watch.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.