Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows locally pre-empted that you could watch on another affiliat  (Read 14384 times)

Scrabbleship

Game shows locally pre-empted that you could watch on another affiliat
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'251029\' date=\'Nov 16 2010, 12:51 AM\']How about another "big 3" affiliate clearing a competing network's game show?

Washington's 7 (now WJLA, can't recall if calls were different then) cleared "Tattletales" in '70s as WTOP (now WUSA) 9 didn't carry it. Aired at 9:30 a.m.[/quote]

WJLA was WMAL until 1977 when the WMAL radio stations were divorced from the old Washington Star.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'251026\' date=\'Nov 16 2010, 12:07 AM\'][quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'250930\' date=\'Nov 14 2010, 04:30 PM\']funny how when I turned to WCAU, my viewing of TPIR, PYL, etc. was constantly interrupted for some of the biggest "who cares" events of the day.[/quote]

There's a difference between preempting network shows for syndicated shows and news bulletins breaking into the middle of a show.
[/quote]

to-ma-to, to-ma-toe, either way the unlucky viewers of WCAU were screwed, and many times Jeopardy watchers on WPVI are stuck.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 06:41:08 AM »
WXMI - Grand Rapids also carried Hot Potato after WOOD-TV pre-empted it for local news. They ran it before noon, so the shows were delayed by one day.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
On a simliar vein, how many of you wacthed a game show that was pre-empted in your market, and would put up with a lousy signal from another market just to see it?

I certainly did.  By the late '70s, Rochester NY's NBC and CBS affiliates were added to an extended teir on our cable.  Because they were coming from a long distance (I think over 80 miles) the signals weren't always good.  Quite often if it was a show that Rochester picked up that either Buffalo or Toronto didn't, I'd put up with the lousy signal to see it.  Seeing it that way was better than not seeing it at all!

and "Guess What" and "Food For Thought" in Toronto (can't recall who carried those).

Guess What would have been CTV, Food For Thought was Global.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
How about another "big 3" affiliate clearing a competing network's game show?

Washington's 7 (now WJLA, can't recall if calls were different then) cleared "Tattletales" in '70s as WTOP (now WUSA) 9 didn't carry it. Aired at 9:30 a.m.

I have a Washington-Baltimore TV Guide from 1977 I got on a family driving trip to South Carolina.  I was surprised when I saw that.  Tattletales wasn't the only show they cleared.  I guess there must have been a game show fan running that station.  That's nice...for a change :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'251089\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 11:32 AM\']

Washington's 7 (now WJLA, can't recall if calls were different then) cleared "Tattletales" in '70s as WTOP (now WUSA) 9 didn't carry it. Aired at 9:30 a.m.

I have a Washington-Baltimore TV Guide from 1977 I got on a family driving trip to South Carolina.  I was surprised when I saw that.  Tattletales wasn't the only show they cleared.  I guess there must have been a game show fan running that station.  That's nice...for a change :)
[/quote]
9 was a Post-Newsweek station up until 1978, so they were big on local pub. affairs shows that would knock out the CBS shows.  Washington also had an NBC O&O which produced a local daytime talk show called "Take It From Here" hosted by Jim Peck before, during and after the run of "The Big Showdown."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'251094\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 12:01 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'251089\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 11:32 AM\']

[/quote]
9 was a Post-Newsweek station up until 1978, so they were big on local pub. affairs shows that would knock out the CBS shows.  Washington also had an NBC O&O which produced a local daytime talk show called "Take It From Here" hosted by Jim Peck before, during and after the run of "The Big Showdown."
[/quote]

It wasn't like things got much better when Post-Newsweek swapped it to the Detroit News for the original WWJ-TV/WDIV. Through the WDVM years the only game show they cleared was TPiR (minus a few months when Pyramid/PYL were cleared) and they sometimes even preempted that as well. Even once Gannett came in, they still didn't clear the 10:00 hour of network programming at all to my knowledge.

Post-Newsweek always seemed to be a bit apprehensive to game shows on the network level. I know there was a period of several years up until 1982 when WFSB in Hartford didn't even clear TPiR, usually delayed the 10:00 hour a week to 9:00 AM, and aired Card Sharks reruns over Child's Play and PYL.

(To unite the the two topics, didn't WXYZ, as an ABC O&O, air Las Vegas Gambit because WDIV preempted it?)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'251099\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 12:55 PM\'](To unite the the two topics, didn't WXYZ, as an ABC O&O, air Las Vegas Gambit because WDIV preempted it?)[/quote]
No, never.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:12 PM »
From the Cleveland, OH area, I used to pull in:

• Toledo stations for Tattletales (80s vers.) & Every Second Counts
  • Detroit station for Bullseye
  • A Youngstown station for The Cross Wits (when WEWS stopped airing it in favor of TTD).

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'251131\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 10:11 PM\']From the Cleveland, OH area, I used to pull in:
  • Toledo stations for Tattletales (80s vers.) & Every Second Counts
[/quote]
I remember seeing Tattletales in the 80s, presumably on WJKW at the time, and Every Second Counts was on WCLQ.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, I used to watch game shows not shown in Cleveland from either Akron (ABC affiliate WAKC) or Toledo including Blackout, Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Goen WoF, Match Game 90, and Bargain Hunters.  I was also able to catch some shows not seen in Cleveland from Canadian affiliates in southern Ontario like Split Second, TalkAbout, and Canadian daytime shows like Guess What and Definition.

That Don Guy

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
In San Francisco, TPIR was on pretty much every station except the CBS affiliate...

Seriously, then-independent (now Fox) KTVU aired both TPIR and Gambit when they premiered (CBS affiliate KPIX deciding that it would rather air Family Affair reruns and a talk show by Bing Crosby's wife - KPIX did air The Joker's Wild from the first day).  The only time before 1990 that I remember KPIX airing TPIR was during its brief afternoon run (when it was on right before Match Game); for a long time, the hour-long TPIR slot was taken up by a locally-produced morning show, and then by the "Group W talk show of the week".

After KPIX dropped TPIR once it moved back to mornings, it was off for a few years, then, sometime around 1980, KEMO / KOFY / whatever channel 20 is called nowadays started airing it, but on a one-day delay for some reason.  This lasted for a few years, then they dropped it, and it was back to San Francisco's version of the dark period er, "that three-word phrase with initials TDP that we're not really supposed to use here any more" until KPIX finally started airing it again in (I think) 1991.

-- Don

dale_grass

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'251186\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 03:26 PM\']This lasted for a few years, then they dropped it, and it was back to San Francisco's version of the dark period er, "that three-word phrase with initials TDP that we're not really supposed to use here any more" until KPIX finally started airing it again in (I think) 1991.

-- Don[/quote]
Whoda thunk Voldemort had the chops to be a program manager?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'251186\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 03:26 PM\']San Francisco's version of the dark period er, "that three-word phrase with initials TDP that we're not really supposed to use here any more"[/quote]
Honestly, I don't think one guy's comment that it's a dated phrase is quite the same as a permanent moratorium.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »
I just thought of another one:

Back in '88, I was really getting into the Davidson Hollywood Squares, until out of the blue, in July of '88, the local affilate (WSYX in Columbus) replaced it with "A Current Affair".  I was devastated...until I stumbled upon it several months later on a local low-powered affilate WWAT-53 (which is now high-powered and rebranded as WWHO-53).  Anyway, my experience with watching Davidson Squares on WWAT was unbearable, as its low-power signal gave off a lot of snow and static, to say nothing of the caliber of the show's celebs during that final season finally made me seek other more watchable shows.

aaron sica

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 03:02:39 AM »
Did Tattletales air in reruns after its 1984 cancellation? I have a SE PA TV Guide which has WHTM-27 (ABC) airing it at 10:30 a.m.