Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat's latest tweet Guest announcers until they find a replacement  (Read 27248 times)

Kevin Prather

Pat's latest tweet Guest announcers until they find a replacement
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250545\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 03:44 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'250542\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 02:42 PM\']Must you blow every single game show related thing out of proportion?[/quote]Excuse me, sir. Dan Benfield does not blow things out of proportion. You're just underreacting.
[/quote]
There's too much positivity on the internet.

NickS

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'250541\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 04:41 PM\']Pardon my ignorance if I'm way off base, but maybe some sponsor stuff changed, requiring some new recording by a new voice (and thus, producers not wanting Charlie + New Guy)? Could all the SPIN ID stuff be the culprit? I forget what part of that is known ahead of time, and what part is added later.

-Jason[/quote]

Who wants to bet that the subtlety of the above goes right over Dan's head?

J.R.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 05:38:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'250546\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 06:04 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250545\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 06:44 PM\']Excuse me, sir. Dan Benfield does not blow things out of proportion. You're just underreacting.[/quote]
Thanks for the vote of support. :p[/quote]
That wasn't a compliment.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:38:43 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'250546\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:04 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'250542\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 05:42 PM\']I'm sure the production staff considered every avenue, and found it more appropriate to simply insert Johnny's voice. If they truly wanted to disrespect Charlie O'Donnell, who they treated like a family member, do you think they would've done this?[/quote]
They did that tribute, and as I said before I respect that. I also understand that they want to move on from his death, but I don't think dubbing over episodes that he already taped (giving the impression that the show tapes in airing order and hence Charlie did zero past the Halloween week) was the answer. Leaving the audio alone with a pre-show disclaimer would have been the most logical and respectful route, IMHO.
[/quote]
Reread the part where I mention that Johnny Gilbert's episodes started airing on the same day Charlie O'Donnell died. Also look for my point that a lot of people don't realize the episodes are taped weeks if not months in advance, so even if you have Pat announce that in a pre-recorded announcement, you still stand the chance of overcomplicating the situation. You have viewers see the tribute on Friday, then tune in Monday and hear Charlie announcing all over again, and you have utter confusion. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some viewers either forgot the tribute, or didn't even catch it.

Yes, they could've recorded another announcement, and they obviously chose not to. Unlike people at an unnamed production company, I think the producers over at Sony have a better idea of how to handle a situation like this, and trust their rhyme and reason behind it. What you fail to realize is that it has nothing to do with disrespect, otherwise they never would've done a tribute in the first place.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'250546\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:04 PM\']Could all the SPIN ID stuff be the culprit? I forget what part of that is known ahead of time, and what part is added later.[/quote]
The SPIN ID plug is done live, but they don't actually say the ID (it's done in post). Live it would be "If your spin ID is....<10 seconds of silence>, you're a winner!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:46:02 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Argo

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
As i recall, but it's been a while now, when Johnny Olson passed away, didn't Bob have a disclaimer saying that there were shows that were already taped that he still announced for? I know TPIR would be a much harder job to dub over, plus at the time they probably didn't have the equipment to cleanly take out his voice, but I think that was a good way of handling it. Mind you I don't know how many shows were to air that had his voice in them either. The way that WOF decided i guess is the more modern way. Everything is probably multi track and you can just replace Charlie's track with someone else, and cut out any reference to Charlie from Pat or Vanna.

Now there is a clip or two on youtube where after Jack Clark passed away that Pat did the prize plugs at the end of the show, but I don't recall who announced the opening.

What have other shows done after the death of their announcer when there were still pre taped shows to air?

Mark

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'250586\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 09:35 AM\']What have other shows done after the death of their announcer when there were still pre taped shows to air?[/quote]
To this day, I remember vividly when Wally Cox passed away, and Peter Marshall taped a brief explanation that we'd be seeing him for a few more weeks on Hollywood Squares.  Gil Fates writes about the viewers who were confused about why they were still seeing Bennett Cerf in some syndicated WML episodes after he had died, but the show didn't do anything about that because it would have been too complicated in the days of bicycling the programs around to different markets.

Every situation is going to be a little different, and now that technology has come so far, it's now possible in a way that it wasn't before to edit out the late announcer completely.  Is that a good idea?  Hard to say.  You've got people like us who notice the edits, and even a few who are offended by them.  But at the same time, leave him in and you no doubt have some confused viewers, as well as simply a few who won't enjoy the program as much when they hear his voice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Otm Shank

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'250582\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 07:13 AM\']Also look for my point that a lot of people don't realize the episodes are taped weeks if not months in advance, so even if you have Pat announce that in a pre-recorded announcement, you still stand the chance of overcomplicating the situation. You have viewers see the tribute on Friday, then tune in Monday and hear Charlie announcing all over again, and you have utter confusion. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some viewers either forgot the tribute, or didn't even catch it.[/quote]

I don't see any likely confusion from viewers that would hear Charlie O'Donnell after his tribute aired. The same people who follow that closely would have heard Pat talk about shows being taped in advance when he posted his first tweet on Twitter.

As for the general viewing public, nearly everyone is aware of the fact that shows are taped. At the very least, the concept of a re-run is well established, and anyone confused might just dismiss the confusion by the fact that a re-run is airing.

Some of the other examples in this thread about What's My Line and the early '70s Hollywood Squares happened when it was still commonplace to have live programming.

I think the likely cause of the overdubbing of Johnny Gilbert's voice was necessity, not to avoid confusion. As the episodes this week were shot in Las Vegas, it makes sense that something such as the Spin I.D. segments would be done in post-production. Therefore, to avoid the need for two announcers in the same episode, all of the voice overs were replaced. It is also likely that Charlie was still alive when this dubbing took place, so at the time there was no other reason than in-episode continuity.

That said, I am sure there was much hand-wringing and debate on how to handle the situation in the most sensitive way possible. Maybe it would have been better to have Pat announce the Spin I.D. number as if he read it live, keeping Charlie's voice in. Death is never easy to handle generally, and as "the show must go on", so must difficult decisions be made.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'250586\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 06:35 AM\']As i recall, but it's been a while now, when Johnny Olson passed away, didn't Bob have a disclaimer saying that there were shows that were already taped that he still announced for?[/quote]
I dunno about the daytime show, but I know they said nothing for the nighttime Tom Kennedy shows.
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'250590\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 09:03 AM\']Death is never easy to handle generally, and as "the show must go on", so must difficult decisions be made.[/quote]
Preposterous! We will have none of that "reasoned, practical thinking" in this thread!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:28:48 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bob Zager

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'250595\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 01:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'250586\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 06:35 AM\']As i recall, but it's been a while now, when Johnny Olson passed away, didn't Bob have a disclaimer saying that there were shows that were already taped that he still announced for?[/quote]
I dunno about the daytime show, but I know they said nothing for the nighttime Tom Kennedy shows.

[/quote]

Like with Wheel, TPIR DID air a disclaimer on the Friday broadcast of the week Johnny O died, IIRC.  Like you, I don't recall anything like it airing on the nighttime edition.

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'250616\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 06:40 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'250595\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 01:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'250586\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 06:35 AM\']As i recall, but it's been a while now, when Johnny Olson passed away, didn't Bob have a disclaimer saying that there were shows that were already taped that he still announced for?[/quote]

[/quote]

Like with Wheel, TPIR DID air a disclaimer on the Friday broadcast of the week Johnny O died, IIRC.  Like you, I don't recall anything like it airing on the nighttime edition.
[/quote]

Bob did the announcement for Johnny Olson, saying the episodes would air as their tribute to him.

Florence Griffith-Joyner the track star passed away between taping a week of Bergeron's Hollywood Squares and the airdate. I believe they held that week back for a while, then aired it with an announcement from Tom.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'250624\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 08:27 PM\']Florence Griffith-Joyner the track star passed away between taping a week of Bergeron's Hollywood Squares and the airdate. I believe they held that week back for a while, then aired it with an announcement from Tom.[/quote]
I think in Flo-Jo's case, she died the week her eps. were scheduled to air. IIRC it was the show's second week, and Whoopi did a pre-recorded announcement.

When John Ritter died, they did something similar when his episodes aired a few weeks later...Henry Winkler did a nice tribute to him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:32:29 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'250590\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 12:03 PM\']As for the general viewing public, nearly everyone is aware of the fact that shows are taped.[/quote]
I don't know... a few years ago, when I worked as an audience usher for a show that is widely known to air in the morning, on March 17, a lot of the audience members were wearing luck- and Irish-themed shirts, even though the taping was at 2:30 p.m. and clearly could not be broadcast on the same day.

[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'250590\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 12:03 PM\']At the very least, the concept of a re-run is well established, and anyone confused might just dismiss the confusion by the fact that a re-run is airing.[/quote]
How many weeks of reruns does "Wheel" do in a year? I know it's not many. It's one of the few shows left where I can imagine uninformed viewers never expecting repeats.

I agree -- there's no perfect solution to the dilemma.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'250630\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 09:53 PM\']How many weeks of reruns does "Wheel" do in a year? I know it's not many.[/quote]
13, not including Saturdays.

I would prefer that the next announcer not be Johnny Gilbert.  Nothing against him personally, but I don't think he fits.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'250631\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 07:05 PM\']I would prefer that the next announcer not be Johnny Gilbert.  Nothing against him personally, but I don't think he fits.[/quote]Assuming it isn't someone on this very forum, I actually would prefer Johnny. I think he could fit just fine.
Travis L. Eberle