Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud Survey Wrong Answers  (Read 20958 times)

Chuck Sutton

Family Feud Survey Wrong Answers
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'249827\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 12:04 PM\']That may be true, but let's use my example; if the other family names all but one president in the Triple round, and we lose the game because Ben Franklin showed up, and he's not a US President, I'm gonna be a little peeved and would probably protest.[/quote]

Still you are only going to lose if the other team steals with Benjiman Franklin.   If they steal with something else you would have lost anyway.  Once you go through the obvious answers, everyone since Reagan, with Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Rossevelt, Kennedy,. . .  If something's left, what's honestly a better guess, Benjiman Franklin or Franklin Pierce?

It's also why if the show used the survey in this case they would probably use it early, when it is unlikely to effect the results.  They can show it at the end of the round and everyone can laugh that "5" persons think Benjiman Franklin was a president.

How far do you take it?  Yesterday they had "Name an animal whose stomach is ALWAYS touching the GROUND?"    The person said Alligator, I thought "alligators spend a lot of time in the water, what a bad answer" It was #2.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:01:16 AM by Chuck Sutton »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'249899\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 05:48 AM\']Still you are only going to lose if the other team steals with Benjiman Franklin.[/quote]
Quoting (and emphasizing) for comprehension.
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'249827\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 12:04 PM\']if the other family names all but one president in the Triple round[/quote]
Meaning that Jeremy's family now has *no chance* to steal.

Yes, now you're going to say "well, shoulda won the question." It's still unsatisfying television.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'249902\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 12:43 PM\']Meaning that Jeremy's family now has *no chance* to steal.[/quote]
Sure they do.  The object of the game is to come up with the answers on the survey, whether they're factually accurate or not.  If "Benjamin Franklin" is what it takes to steal a question about presidents, then that's what it takes. I really don't see any grounds for a protest, either.  The game is simply not about "correct" answers, nor is it the show's job to eliminate "wrong" ones.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is covered in their rules.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'249841\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 12:29 PM\'](I could also see them surveying, say, 120 people on a given question, and dropping 20 answers off to cover the bozo factor. They don't say "we surveyed 100 people, no more, no less.")[/quote]

I always figured they asked, say, 200 people and made it a percentage but used the "100 people" verbiage so that the average viewer wouldn't be put off hearing that complicated word "percent." What you mention seems shifty at first blush, just because I've always assumed a percentage. But then, that's my assumption and it's just a game anyway.

In these days of scrimping and saving, I wouldn't be shocked if they surveyed 50 people and just doubled everything.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:11:32 PM by Neumms »

BillCullen1

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
I remember a celeb FF episode with Ray Combs. Jayne Meadows one of the celebs. I believe it was women vs. men and Steve Allen among others was on the men's team I believe this was a nighttime episode. Anyway the final face-off question was "Name a government agency." Naturally, the FBI and CIA were on the survey. The last answer that no one got was the POLICE DEPT. Clearly, that was an answer no one thought of (mainlky because it's not correct) but two people said it so it was on the survey. Yeah, it kinda blows, but that's how the game works.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:21:18 PM by BillCullen1 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
On a Dawson episode, a Fast Money question went "Name a country that gets a lot of snow." Alaska scored 12, Canada scored 11. Whether they were being generous and accepting Alaska as the U.S., I don't know.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'249907\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 12:17 PM\']...  the final face-off question was "Name a government agency." Naturally, the FBI and CIA were on the survey. The last answer that no one got was the POLICE DEPT. Clearly, that was an answer no one thought of (mainlky because it's not correct) but two people said it so it was on the survey. Yeah, it kinda blows, but that's how the game works.[/quote]
They didn't say to name a Federal government agency.  Is the police an agency of local government?  Yes, so not a BFD.

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'249914\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 01:40 PM\']On a Dawson episode, a Fast Money question went "Name a country that gets a lot of snow." Alaska scored 12, Canada scored 11. Whether they were being generous and accepting Alaska as the U.S., I don't know.[/quote]
That's precisely what happened.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

dale_grass

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'249904\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 11:51 AM\']The game is simply not about "correct" answers, nor is it the show's job to eliminate "wrong" ones.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is covered in their rules.[/quote]
Discussions about what constitutes a correct answer on Feud always reminds me of this.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
Scott has it right. Howard used to edit the survey results and would eliminate a response naming Ben Franklin as a president. He would also combine answers: If the question were "Name something sweet" and 10 people said fruit and one person said watermelon, he would combine watermelon with fruit and make fruit worth 11 points. I specifically remember Howard editing the Goodson-Todman question and he remarked that the polling group was correct in all of its responses.

Scott will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall that all of the surveys add up to exactly 100 points. All they said on the air was "100 people surveyed. Top x answers on the board ..." without claiming that the answers totalled 100 points.

The object of the game is to come up with the answers on the survey, whether they're factually accurate or not. If "Benjamin Franklin" is what it takes to steal a question about presidents, then that's what it takes. I really don't see any grounds for a protest, either. The game is simply not about "correct" answers, nor is it the show's job to eliminate "wrong" ones.
Oh come now, that's just absurd. Do you really think old man Goodson would produce a show that way?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:35:57 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'249918\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 04:21 PM\']Oh come now, that's just absurd. Do you really think old man Goodson would produce a show that way?[/quote]
I said at the start of this thread that I couldn't give a specific example of factually incorrect material making its way to the board, but several other people have, most citing examples from the Dawson era.  If that's absurd, take it up with them.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
And per Randy West in an old post (yes, I save some of these tidbits for fear the posts go belly up a'la our first couple of years):

When Feud requested home audience members to participate in the surveys they were inundated, and had enough respondents to last for years, rotating among the thousands of participants. When participants were sent surveys the protocol was to capture the first 200 that were received back at GT, then use a geographic weighting system to select the 100 to be used.

A cursory glance over the questions I use at Christmas shows America thinks parrots and swans can't fly.

-Jason
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:25:41 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »
If that's absurd, take it up with them.
The rationale you gave for allowing incorrect answers into the surveys is what's absurd.

The "Alaska" answer is likely why that was a Fast Money question.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:26:31 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'249926\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 05:25 PM\']The rationale you gave for allowing incorrect answers into the surveys is what's absurd.[/quote]
The example I gave is simply one way a round could play out, if the one factually incorrect answer happened to be what was left.  Either there are factually incorrect answers or there aren't, and if there are, it might be necessary for a family to figure them out in order to steal.  I fail to see the absurdity.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'249918\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 04:21 PM\']Scott will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall that all of the surveys add up to exactly 100 points. All they said on the air was "100 people surveyed. Top x answers on the board ..." without claiming that the answers totalled 100 points.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I've seen an episode where the points available only added up to say, 97 or so...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 01:43:08 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'249918\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 01:21 PM\']Scott will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall that all of the surveys add up to exactly 100 points. All they said on the air was "100 people surveyed. Top x answers on the board ..." without claiming that the answers totalled 100 points.[/quote]
They rarely do, in fact, but they can usually write that off to not counting singleton answers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe