Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud Survey Wrong Answers  (Read 21137 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Family Feud Survey Wrong Answers
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'249899\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 07:48 AM\']If something's left, what's honestly a better guess, Benjiman Franklin or Franklin Pierce?[/quote]I'm going with Franklin Pierce, because its in the spirit of the question.  I don't think I should have to think "outside the box" to account for the stupid people in this country.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:45 AM »
OK, that's all fine and good, Mark, but I think something that's getting lost in this is that if you get returns of Franklin and Hamilton to "name a president found on our money," that those in charge are going to look at that and re-ask the question as "name a person on our money," instead of that deal where you get penalized for not properly reading the minds of the pollees.
Travis L. Eberle

WhammyPower

davidhammett

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but at least tangentially related:  When we play Feud with the math students at the Governor's Honors Program each summer, we aim for the top 5-7 answers for each question.  This occasionally means that some of the answers we use are indeed wrong.  (An example:  One year. for "Name any computer programming language," several of the students answered, "DOS.")  However, the survey answers we use are given by the math students themselves, in a poll that we take on the first night of the program approximately three weeks ahead of the contest.  As a result, we don't feel obligated to weed out incorrect answers.

We have had similar issues when playing games such as Pyramid and Go with the kids.  It's rare, but occasionally the person (people) giving the clue will say something incorrect, but somehow the receiver will discern the right answer.  Admittedly, we've varied in how we've dealt with this; for example, in Go, we did alter the rules to state that the word in play must be a reasonably correct answer to the clue question.  (It's also why I'm SOOO glad we don't use Go as one of the games any more.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'249951\' date=\'Oct 31 2010, 12:06 PM\'](It's also why I'm SOOO glad we don't use Go as one of the games any more.)[/quote]In trying the game out among a group of friends, I found that one person (out of the six that you need) can absolutely grind the game to a halt if he doesn't get the concept.

We didn't play it again after that.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'249937\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 10:45 PM\']I'm pretty sure I've seen an episode where the points available only added up to say, 97 or so...[/quote]
Check out any Double round this season where one family has won both of the first two questions. I've seen surveys with only about 57 pre-doubled points up for grabs. Again, because they've lopped off all of the seven-point responses, the six-point responses, et cetera.

On the subject of factually inaccurate information being on the board, I remember a question asking for an insect in which "spider" was #2. I also remember "Name an animal with spots." The final displayed answer was "tiger," and while everybody expressed confusion, John O'Hurley walked back to the face-off stand, where they had hidden a picture of a young tiger with spots on its head to prove that the answer was correct.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'249994\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 02:01 PM\']On the subject of factually inaccurate information being on the board, I remember a question asking for an insect in which "spider" was #2.[/quote]
And this is my point.  As a player, you can't just go "Well, I'm sure as hell not going to say 'spider', because that's not factually accurate."  Whether it's spiders or penguins or Ben Franklin, you have to come up with the answers that are up there, whether they're "right" or not.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

joshg

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
Forgive the very amateur (i.e. free from Comcast) website, but I posted scans of an actual Feud survey I filled out for the show.

LINK : http://home.comcast.net/~joshguers/site/

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...