Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Celebrity...  (Read 35014 times)

whewfan

Most Obnoxious Celebrity...
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:38 AM »
At least on the last NBC HS, they did allow BOTH players to try for the big money due to Waylon taking up WAY too much time (not just on the last question, but on other questions as well) On the daytime HS they weren't as concerned about getting in a LOT of questions because the game straddled, but on the last show they should've gone "syndie" mode where they try to speed up the game (Jonathan Winters, as previously stated, had a LOT of trouble making his monologues short)

ITSBRY

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'249788\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 09:06 PM\']Probably Arte Johnson on "Hot Potato."  I'd never seen Bill Cullen get annoyed before.[/quote]

Totally agree...I've always found Arte Johnson very annoying in everything I've seen him do.

(DoorNumberFour @ Oct 28 2010, 01:31 AM)
Kaye Stevens on Match Game '74. UGH.

Yes, yes and yes! I can't even watch those episodes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:09:44 AM by ITSBRY »

ITSBRY

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
I never liked Jamie Farr on Pyramid or WordPlay. I find his voice grating.

I didn't think he was particularly good at Pyramid either. He never really seemed to "get" the game the way the other regular celebs did.

tvmitch

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'249877\' date=\'Oct 29 2010, 10:13 AM\']I never liked Jamie Farr on Pyramid or WordPlay. I find his voice grating.

I didn't think he was particularly good at Pyramid either. He never really seemed to "get" the game the way the other regular celebs did.[/quote]
I didn't mind Jamie Farr too much but he seemed to have a reputation as a "good game player," which he was not...very overrated on Pyramid. I think he was a better Password player.

Richard Kline reminds me of the way Jamie would play, a bit. Richard was a marginally better player and his temper showed often, especially on Pyramid front games where a contestant had trouble spitting out words.
You should follow me on Twitter

Thunder

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'249867\' date=\'Oct 29 2010, 01:35 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 03:42 PM\']Match Game '98:  Judy Tenuta (and her squeeze box -- 'nuff said).[/quote]Is it really? I'm just supposed to know?
[/quote]

His remark worked for me. I only watched one episode of that version and I knew.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:00:55 PM by Thunder »

gaubster2

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:47 AM »
Jm J Bullock on anything he was ever on.

I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Richard Simmons on Body Language (or any other show).  As a kid, I used to cringe anytime I saw he was going to be one of the celebrities.

I'm not sure who I was most repulsed by in terms of obnoxiousness?  I will concede that Simmons really wanted his contestant to win though.  I suppose that leaves Bullock as the most obnoxious in my book.

/Never saw much of MG'98.  Based on what I did see, that entire show was obnoxious.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'249894\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 01:02 AM\']Jm J Bullock on anything he was ever on.[/quote]
Yeah, OK, this is probably my vote, but with an asterisk to cover Hollywood Squares.  To me, that whole version was such a let's-try-anything free-for-all that his mugging and time wasting didn't really bother me.  On the other hand, watching him single-handedly destroy my precious I've Got a Secret was truly painful.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'249895\' date=\'Oct 29 2010, 11:11 PM\']On the other hand, watching him single-handedly destroy my precious I've Got a Secret was truly painful.[/quote]
Come now, the homey little let's-all-sit-on-the-couch set didn't have just a *small* part in that? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Eric Paddon

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:51 AM »
Patti Deutsch and her inane MG answers designed to show off her silly idea of "humor" that no contestant ever would have thought of in a million years.

whewfan

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »
Richard Simmons may be annoying on some game shows (he was calmer on Super Password) but he's motivated many people. However, I think with Body Language that being as animated as he is, is appropriate for that type of show. His tearful reaction to winning that contestant $40k on Super Password was completely opposite of what I expected... I was expecting jumping up and down and bedlam. So I do think Richard can control himself based on the show he's on.

chrisholland03

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I was never a Jamie Farr fan -- even on M*A*S*H.

The Pyramids

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
Constance McCashin was not obnoxious but did not seem very friendly on 'Pyramid'. Paula Poundstone on the other hand comes right to mind as being obnoxious on 'Truth'. Also I've never seen the appeal of Orson Bean or Joanne Worley.

Neumms

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »
I hated hated HATED it when Anita Gillette was on. But now she plays Liz Lemon's mother so she's okay in my book. So then it's JoAnne Worley. She wasn't ever funny, not once, on a game show.

Neumms

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'249816\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 08:45 AM\']On the other hand, it amuses me that you think he "rarely repeated any poems".  For a video tribute I made a while back, I took four different instances of him reciting the same poem on four different shows, and edited them into a single piece line by line.  It wasn't hard to find source material.[/quote]

I love the one where he concluded the opposite of "progress" is "Congress."

It's funny to see Nipsey on Match Game because he'd shoehorn in his one-liners and poems and I get the impression Rayburn wasn't wild about him. But just this week GSN ran an episode from '75 in which Gene very amusingly set up a poem as a bit of wisdom to leave us viewers with. It may just have been because he had a minute to kill at the end.

BillCullen1

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Okay, here are my takes:

William Shatner when he threw the chair on Pyramid. Notice he never came back after that.

Tony Randall - a good game player but didn't come across as all that friendly, to me anyway. The producers of Hollywood Squares learned the hard way not to put Randall and Paul Lynde next to each other. Lynde was a chain smoker.

Henry Morgan - had an on-air verbal spar with Bennett Cerf on WML. I believe he was on MG '78 one week. Other than that, he basically appeared on G-T's panel shows.

Paula Poundstoine on TTTT and Judy Tenuta on MG '98 I absolutly agree with.

I don't think these were obnoxious

Jonathan Winters - Peter Marshall said in an interview that Jonathan needed characters to do to feel "comfortable" so the writers started including that in questions to him. I thought he was amusing, but yes he did eat up time on occasion.

JM J. Bullock - was loud and nutty, I wouldn't say he was obnoxious.

Richard Simmons - see JM. J. Bullock

Nipsey - he didn't eat up time with his poems, he was fine.

Fred Travelena - did imitations when it was HIS TURN on MG, he didn't hog the spotlight when other celebs were on camera, so I didn't have a problem with him.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:43:20 PM by BillCullen1 »