Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Celebrity...  (Read 35024 times)

TimK2003

Most Obnoxious Celebrity...
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
For any given celebrity-based game show, who would you nominate as THE most obnoxious celebrity that ever graced that show.

For Starters:

Match Game '98:  Judy Tenuta (and her squeeze box -- 'nuff said).

Hollywood Squares (Marshall):  Jonathan Winters.  Going into drawn out "character-ized" responses in nearly every question got old fast, as some have mentioned in other threads.

Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.

Others?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
Probably Arte Johnson on "Hot Potato."  I'd never seen Bill Cullen get annoyed before.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:07:12 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »
Match Game 7x and 90: Fred Travalena.  Felt compelled to do an impression practically every time he was called on, pretty much hogged the spotlight from everyone else.

(closed circuit for the Brits) Countdown: Jo Brand.  You're not funny, and you're definitely not good on the eyes.

Generic: Any time someone did a show "in character".
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
Mario Cantone.

He was even obnoxious when he was opposite Robert Osborne as the TCM Guest Programmer.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

William_S.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 06:42 PM\']For any given celebrity-based game show, who would you nominate as THE most obnoxious celebrity that ever graced that show.

For Starters:

Match Game '98:  Judy Tenuta (and her squeeze box -- 'nuff said).

Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.

Others?[/quote]

Well I don't know about Nipsey, I like the poems. Yes Judy was obnoxious as George was a moron.

Jim J. Bullock (Who was also on MG98) From Hollywood Squares. Man I just wanted to punch him every time I saw him...

/And Don't get me started on Figure it out.....

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 03:42 PM\']Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.[/quote]
Well, love him or hate him, but what set him apart from the other annoying celebrities was the fact that he was friggin' great at just about every game he played.

J.R.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:27 AM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'249792\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 08:30 PM\']Well I don't know about Nipsey, I like the poems.[/quote]
Second this. I thought Russell's poems were very entertaining, sometimes hysterical.

I thought he did a decent job on "Your Numbers Up". Isn't it true he would go bonkers if someone won the bonus round?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:02:38 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 06:42 PM\']Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.[/quote]
I gotta agree with the others. His poetry may have been topical then and dated now, but I always found Nipsey entertaining...and a damn fine player on the shows he appeared on.

Second Fred Travalena, but on MG/HS Hour. His interrupting every question for an impression got old after awhile.

Also, Rosie O'Donnell on Bergeron's HS. When bluffing, she'd shake her head "no" to tell the contestant to disagree. Yeah, yeah, yeah Queen of Nice and whatever. Didn't work here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:00:59 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
I've got 2. Pat Carroll on The Hollywood Connection. Apparently her own unfunny jokes put her in stitches.
And then there was Hal Block during the early years of What's My Line ...

--Jamie

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:31:36 AM »
Kaye Stevens on Match Game '74. UGH.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 02:45:44 AM »
From the "not quite a game show but sorta" department...John Sessions on "Whose Line is it Anyway"
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Argo

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'249807\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 12:31 AM\']Kaye Stevens on Match Game '74. UGH.[/quote]

THANK YOU. Couldn't remember her name. I agree 200%

Offshored2007

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'249804\' date=\'Oct 28 2010, 12:36 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 06:42 PM\']Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.[/quote]
I gotta agree with the others. His poetry may have been topical then and dated now, but I always found Nipsey entertaining...and a damn fine player on the shows he appeared on.

Second Fred Travalena, but on MG/HS Hour. His interrupting every question for an impression got old after awhile.

Also, Rosie O'Donnell on Bergeron's HS. When bluffing, she'd shake her head "no" to tell the contestant to disagree. Yeah, yeah, yeah Queen of Nice and whatever. Didn't work here.
[/quote]
Nipsey Russell and his poems, he'd always smile and laugh at the end of them egotistically.  A decent game player, but it got tiring listening to his "pearls of wisdom".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:11:40 AM by Offshored2007 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
Tony Danza on the 1983 $25,000 Pyramid episode where he swears and walks off the set.  I don't think he was ever invited back after that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:27:21 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'249780\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 06:42 PM\']Nearly Every Bob Stewart show with Celebrities:  Nipsey Russell.  An opening poem, sometimes a closing poem, and occasionally a mid-game poem he gets to sneak in x5 shows a week.  Yes, he was billed as Poet Laureate(sp?) and he rarely repeated any poems, but there were times it was overdone.[/quote]
In the first place, I imagine there were rare occasions when he got to do a second poem in a show (if they needed to fill time or something), but you're making it sound like he took over a game and turned it into the Nipsey Russell Poetry Corner, and that's just not the case at all.  Nipsey was also one of the sharpest, most enthusiastic and most fun but serious-minded celebrities to play on game shows (one of the reasons he was on so many).  If the category is "Obnoxious Celebrity Players", I think 'Nipsey Russell' is a terrible clue.

On the other hand, it amuses me that you think he "rarely repeated any poems".  For a video tribute I made a while back, I took four different instances of him reciting the same poem on four different shows, and edited them into a single piece line by line.  It wasn't hard to find source material.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.