Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN getting a bit stale?  (Read 15984 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252210\' date=\'Dec 8 2010, 11:39 AM\']I beg to differ. Seriously, if it didn't require a dedicated Xbox 360 and tv, I'd make a cabinet out of this version, pronto.[/quote]
QFT. I've been playing this one for the last week and a half, despite there being a new track pack out for Trials HD. How satisfying is it to mow down dozens of ghosts on a single* energizer cycle?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252211\' date=\'Dec 8 2010, 01:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252210\' date=\'Dec 8 2010, 11:39 AM\']I beg to differ. Seriously, if it didn't require a dedicated Xbox 360 and tv, I'd make a cabinet out of this version, pronto.[/quote]
QFT. I've been playing this one for the last week and a half, despite there being a new track pack out for Trials HD. How satisfying is it to mow down dozens of ghosts on a single* energizer cycle?
[/quote]
Very... I went back to the original Pac Man CE to compare the two, and the energizer stringing in that version feels so empty now. I think that this kind of controlled chaos is what I've been waiting to see with Pac Man for some time...careening around corners on 50 speed with ghosts chasing you is so.....perfect.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252237\' date=\'Dec 8 2010, 07:53 PM\']Very... I went back to the original Pac Man CE to compare the two, and the energizer stringing in that version feels so empty now.[/quote]
I didn't play the original a whole lot, but it's funny that Championship I is my *least* favorite map in the new game, *because* the energizers are so plentiful.

/all about Highway
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jhshifris

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'251139\' date=\'Nov 17 2010, 11:15 PM\']I've been watching GSN less and less for a while. I'm sure I'm not alone doing this. As well, I've also noticed the GSN forums not exactly hopping with excitement. Is this a trend? I've seen the best and the worst of GSN. Here's my quick summary of the past 10 years:

1) Started to watch just after the dark period was over, all the content even though was "classic", it was fresh and different for me. I was glued day and night. repeats sucked but lived with it.
2) GSN wanted to get into reality TV and gambling. Therefore, a fresh new logo and name was also in need. Goodbye Game Show Network. Goodbye to most classic game shows and say hello to newish and original content. Some shows are ok, others were like "what were they thinking?" (Naturally Stoned anyone?).
3) Today, most shows are relatively new and not so classic. Some have also went into repeat syndrome and help drive ratings to the ground too. How much dond do we need to watch?

Now 10 years later, I watch GSN about 5 hours/week. A far cry from the 25+ hours I did 10 years ago. I actually watch card games on GSN and that's about it. I'll turn on GameTV for my classics itch (and youtube or similar places with internet media-rich content I can get my hands on which wasn't available 10 years ago). GSN is losing an audience but I don't think they're gaining a new one. Maybe GSN has "jumped the shark". There's just too many other good options to choose from or some people have watched their fill of game shows and now doing something else with their lives. Are you watching GSN? What do you like? (eg: Family Feud O'Hurley) What do you miss? (eg: Inquisition) what do you hate? Or, what have you been watching elsewhere to fill the void? (eg: new Video and audio clips from this forum).[/quote]

Ever since they lost the good shows, I never saw GSN again and I don't believe that they're going anywhere.  And not only that, I never saw Naturally Stoned.

jhshifris

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'251910\' date=\'Nov 30 2010, 01:59 PM\']The last time I watched GSN on a consistent basis was 2005 or so; since then, I've been wrapped up in college stuff, work, or whatever else. So for me, life happened, and GSN kept moving down the totem pole. That being said, I do think that they have a good crop of originals for the first time since 2002 or 2003.

For GSN, I think mornings and afternoons should be a healthy mix of classic from all decades. Why? Because game shows are a nostalgia kick for most people, whether they're fans or innocent bystanders. You watched them when you were sick, Grandma might have had them on, and the theme songs stay stuck in your head whether you like them or not. I even know people who'll watch a couple episodes of whatever show is on with me because they get a kick out of how people used to look "back in the day".

We yell at the TV, we cheer, we laugh at stupid answers and show our friends how smart or stupid we are; game shows as a whole are a versatile genre of programming, and looking at the GSN schedule, I don't think that's represented. I'm not really keen on them giving high replay to post 2000 shows; should they be on the schedule? Yes, but not in this capacity. They're doing to these shows what they did to Dawson Feud and Match Game as late as 2007 or 2008; running them into the ground by overplaying them. At least with older shows, you can get a kick out of seeing old favorites; by overplaying new stuff, I thought people would have a more negative reaction to shows they're already saying "meh" about in the first place. Shows like Beat The Clock 79 and Trebek Double Dare could have made for decent morning/afternoon fare, but got relegated to post-midnight duty.

So to answer the original question- yes, GSN has gotten stale, but considering the programming, it's worse than ever.[/quote]

It is, it really is.  Deal Or No Deal 4 times in a day will never be an 'old favorite'.

TimK2003

GSN getting a bit stale?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252210\' date=\'Dec 8 2010, 12:39 PM\']It's kinda sad to see that "arcades" have become empty mall storefronts that consist of a half empty claw machine, a solitary Cruis'n World cabinet, a temporary tattoo dispenser, and an "electronic carny" (one of those machines that contains pretty decent merchandise that only one out of every 300 or so people win). That is the full inventory at the mall near my school.[/quote]

I gotta say, though, Coloado is very much a pinball-friendly state.  There is one pizza place not too far away with 4 machines, with another in a bar across the street.  And even in a hick town with a population of less than 250 in the town proper, their only little grocery store has a pristine Wheel of Fortune pinball sitting in the corner.

Not to mention the annual Pinball convention in Denver each April!