Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Find One Episode  (Read 14698 times)

TimK2003

Find One Episode
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
I would have to agree with the Final Episode of "Rhyme & Reason", just to see Pat Harrington & the gang "dismantle" the set.  

And for history's sake, I'd love to see a before & after episode of the first 50's quizzer show that "rigged" their program, just to see what the difference between how the game played and looked "au natural" and the following week when the show was for the most part "scripted".  To the average viewer, the differences will probably be very subtle, but I'd love to see what "changes" I could find.

Another obvious choice for the historical value is the very first episode of the very first game show that aired on TV.  I don't have my EOTVGS within reach to name the show specifically, but I'm sure someone can fill in the blank.

tpirfan28

Find One Episode
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'248196\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 02:00 AM\']For myself, the first $10,000 Pyramid.[/quote]Seconded.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Ian Wallis

Find One Episode
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »
I would have to agree with the Final Episode of "Rhyme & Reason", just to see Pat Harrington & the gang "dismantle" the set.

That has been rumoured to exist but I've never seen any evidence of it, so I don't really believe it.

When thinking about this question, you could approach it from several different angles.  Could it be an episode of a show that's not necessarily historically significant, but you really like and very little exists?  If that's the case I'd probably choose a mid-run episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes - I'd love to see more of that show.

Maybe it's an episode of a show that there's no known trace of - Snap Judgment or the '69-73 Sale of the Century come to mind.

Maybe it could be a show you watched as a kid but for some reason has never entered the trade curcuit - Baffle or Wizard of Odds could fit the bill there.

It's hard to pick just one because there are so many lost treasures you'd love to see again and hope will turn up.  I guess for selfish reasons, I'd pick any episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Mike Tennant

Find One Episode
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'248210\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 10:55 AM\']Another obvious choice for the historical value is the very first episode of the very first game show that aired on TV.  I don't have my EOTVGS within reach to name the show specifically, but I'm sure someone can fill in the blank.[/quote]Wikipedia says it's Truth or Consequences, which aired as a one-time experiment in 1941. That sounds right to me.

GameShowGuru

Find One Episode
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
The original Supermarket Sweep hosted by Bill Malone which aired on ABC.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Find One Episode
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'248215\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 11:46 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'248210\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 10:55 AM\']Another obvious choice for the historical value is the very first episode of the very first game show that aired on TV.  I don't have my EOTVGS within reach to name the show specifically, but I'm sure someone can fill in the blank.[/quote]Wikipedia says it's Truth or Consequences, which aired as a one-time experiment in 1941. That sounds right to me.[/quote]I thought it was earlier than that, maybe 1939.  I want to say it was either "CBS Television Quiz" or "Uncle Jim's Question Bee".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

davidhammett

Find One Episode
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »
If we're talking specific episodes of shows, the main one that comes to my mind is the (an?) episode of 70's Jackpot where the $50,000 Super Jackpot was attempted.

Neumms

Find One Episode
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'248213\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 11:01 AM\']Maybe it's an episode of a show that there's no known trace of - Snap Judgment or the '69-73 Sale of the Century come to mind.

Maybe it could be a show you watched as a kid but for some reason has never entered the trade curcuit - Baffle or Wizard of Odds could fit the bill there.[/quote]

I would love to see a Jack Kelly $OTC or Wizard of Odds. Or Dotto.

mmb5

Find One Episode
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
Dotto has an episode on the trade circuit and Supermarket Sweep has one extant episode as well, although less accessible since it's at Paley.

I'm throwing another one out, more to give another hint on what to ask for: Jay Wolpert's TOC Jeopardy victory.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MyronMMeyer

Find One Episode
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 04:27:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'248225\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 02:52 PM\']Dotto has an episode on the trade circuit and Supermarket Sweep has one extant episode as well, although less accessible since it's at Paley.

I'm throwing another one out, more to give another hint on what to ask for: Jay Wolpert's TOC Jeopardy victory.[/quote]

Mel Gibson's dad's Jeopardy ToC victory. Or one of John McCain's games.

-M

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Find One Episode
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Another obvious choice for the historical value is the very first episode of the very first game show that aired on TV. I don't have my EOTVGS within reach to name the show specifically, but I'm sure someone can fill in the blank.
Wikipedia says it's Truth or Consequences, which aired as a one-time experiment in 1941. That sounds right to me.
I thought it was earlier than that, maybe 1939. I want to say it was either "CBS Television Quiz" or "Uncle Jim's Question Bee".
CBS Television Quiz aired from 1941-42, debuting the day after the experimental Truth or Consequences (and the experimental Uncle Jim's Question Bee, which remained a radio series otherwise). As far as I can tell, the first televised game show was the United Kingdom's Spelling Bee, which debuted May 31, 1938.

Dotto has an episode on the trade circuit and Supermarket Sweep has one extant episode as well, although less accessible since it's at Paley.
Dotto has two episodes circulating -- a daytime show with Marie Wynn, and a nighttime one with Connie Hines. As for Sweep, there's a partial episode available for viewing online, but it's only the open and close despite the listing claiming it's complete.

Obgameshow (if I may give another one): The premiere of The Money Maze, supposedly the only time both of the day's couples won $10,000.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:33:58 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

Find One Episode
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
Since we're looking for stuff thought not to exist, I'll change my guess to either a 70s $otC or the final Rhyme and Reason...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mcsittel

Find One Episode
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
Having only vague memories of the show when it first aired, I'd like to see an episode of Spin-Off.

RMF

Find One Episode
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Depending on definition:

Things That Do Exist, But In Slightly Improved Form: There are several black-and-white videotapes of game shows from the late 1950s/early 1960s. I would like for a color videotape (program is immaterial in this case) from the same era to emerge.

Things That Don't Exist In Playable Form: There are two: the pile of 1971 and 1973 tapes (not all game shows) at UCLA that will not play back, and the mysterious Information Please run I've mentioned here in the past that (with one exception) the Paley Center can't dub. I admit that these are group entries, but being able to dub just one of these might do.

A Specific Program That I'd Like To See: An episode of the prime-time run of Winner Take All, or a similar example for the many late 1940s/early 1950s game shows that we haven't found anything from.

trainman

Find One Episode
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'248225\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 12:52 PM\']Dotto has an episode on the trade circuit and Supermarket Sweep has one extant episode as well, although less accessible since it's at Paley.[/quote]

And there are a number of '60s "Supermarket Sweep" episodes in the collection of the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:15:11 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains