Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 71732 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'246892\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 04:24 PM\']What exactly do people see in this show? It actually made more sense when they ditched the numbers in the '89 revival. The team element in the first format was awkward, and the scoring was bad. The end game and "Chump Change" are good, but its cachet here leaves me scratching my head.[/quote]
Besides what Jason listed...

1974-5:  Great hosting by Jack Narz, a very high-tech set for 1974, and a great playalong factor if you're watching the game.  If you're Mrs. 1974 Housewife who's doing chores or taking care of the kids, not as much.

1989:  Again, a set which didn't look like it was from the era.  Cleveland didn't get NYSI in '89, so seeing stuff which didn't air here adds to the interest factor, even if it was sub-par to its predecessor.

My additions to the original topic:

I don't care for Ray Combs.  I'd rank Combs below O'Hurley on the Feud hosting heirarchy.

I think Todd Newton is a great host, even though he was grating on Whammy!  See Hollywood Showdown or some of his live work for proof.

I enjoy Minute to Win It, muted, as it might be as close as this generation comes to Beat the Clock.  (C'mon The Cube...)

I never cared for Hollywood Squares in the late 80s.  John Davidson, Jm J. Bullock, and Z-level celebrities galore, especially in the final year.

TheLastResort

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »
I've never liked Tom Kennedy.  No matter the show, he was always unprepared.  Either he was screwing up the rules of the game, or he was forgetting the names of celebrities and their shows.  And that phony laugh of his - gimme a break.

J.R.

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
I don't think TTD90 is the agonizing torture of tortures some people make it out to be.

In fact, if they had tweeked a few superficial things (barren set, Wayne, cheesy theme, the dated rapping, etc), I think it could've been great.

I think TJW90 random money format was far superior to classic TJW. (However, the category format slowed it to agonizing halt. If it's $1275 to $850, goal is $2000, and the next topic is worth $25... Yeah)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:24:56 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

MTCesquire

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
With the exception of "To Tell the Truth", just about every panel show from that era puts me to sleep.  There's zero play-along factor since they tell you the secret/their line/etc.  I do find Moore's "I've Got a Secret" tolerable, but only because of Bill Cullen.

Jim Lange is the worst host among game show legends.  He added absolutely nothing to "The Dating Game" and since the game practically moved itself along, he really didn't have to.  Every other show he hosted after that where he was required to show some personality, he sucked.  He was painfully dull and unfunny.

I thought "Taboo" was a great show.

gwarman2005

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
I like Chuck Barris' Camouflage.  There, I said it.

Being on the trading circuit, I was used to seeing different game set-ups and read-outs on all the games on the forgein versions of TPIR. So when change happens on the US set, I don't fly into a rage over Fremantle.  I like the updates, no matter how minor.

I never cared for Hollywood Squares, in any format. The game never appealed to me.

Never been a Pyramid fan either.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandMasterGalvatron\' post=\'246896\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 04:48 PM\']I liked Free 4 All.

You have all just winced in your seats.[/quote]
You ain't kidding.  A few dozen responses so far, and I've accepted them all stoically, but dude, that's just....wrong.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
I liked the Garagiola Strike It Rich theme. Thanks for having my back on that, Mr. L. Same for Rafferty's Blockbusters. Not the revised game so much, tho. Didn't like the Cullen era Blockbuster theme. I kinda liked the Card Sharks remake, except for the clip chip. In my home copy, we just play a regular percentage question for control. Either version, you just have people predicting what's next in a row of cards. A dull game that at least went faster in the '01 version. Also liked Duel and National Bingo Night.
Oh...AND Show Me The Money!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:27:05 PM by The Ol' Guy »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'246936\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 09:25 PM\']Also liked Duel and National Bingo Night.
Oh...AND Show Me The Money![/quote]

My love for Duel is best expressed by the photo album linked.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
I think the main idea that is springing out of this thread is that the "norms" aren't as widespread as a lot of people think.

Except for that Free 4 All one. Whoof.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
Excluding the original Gambit, and looking back in hindsight, Wink Martindale is one the most annoying hosts ever.

Alan Thicke:  Game Show Theme-Writer = GOOD
Alan Thicke:  Game Show Host = BAD

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'246936\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 10:25 PM\']Also liked Duel and National Bingo Night.  Oh...AND Show Me The Money![/quote]
2 out of 3 ain't bad.  My sig quote happened after I told Greeny I was a big fan of Duel, though I preferred the first series.  SMTM was entertaining, even though the game was too easy.  I got a SMTM scroll off of eBay 3 or so years ago.  It makes for a great doorstop.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »
WWTBAM - liked "the dreaded clock", if only because of "Play It!"

Also loved "Duel".  Basically head-to-head WWTBAM.  Every time I see Pepsi Max at the grocery store, I find myself whistling the outro from the show.

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

RMF

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 11:58:03 PM »
Some random thoughts, in some cases ones that are different from the more in "not usually thought of" than "against opinion".

I've liked what I've seen of the 1960s Match Game better than the 1970s version, which struck me as Goodson-Todman engaging in a Hollywood Squares knockoff (in other words, behaving more like Chuck Barris or Barry-Enright). On the other hand, I suspect that I liked the original run of the Hollywood Squares better than many people here have found it in retrospect.

I have a tolerance for the slow game shows of early television. For instance, I find "What In The World", from the handful of episodes I've seen, addictive, and would hold a similar opinion for Down You Go if I could find more than one.

The daytime episodes I've seen of Let's Make A Deal, on the other hand, have always struck me as grossly tedious. The fact that the later runs have tended to be short-lived is less of a surprise than that the original run lasted as long as it did.

I'm somewhat more familiar with OTR games than others here (I am one of two fans on this board I know of for Information Please), and, as a result, am somewhat more tolerant of radio-style hosting on television.

I don't dislike Family Feud per se (the game is largely sound), but the hosts as a collective are a mass of annoyances.

This probably doesn't count, but the more and more I've seen each man's work, the more I wish Robert Q Lewis had Dennis James' career, and the more and more I suspect that there's something that kept James working that people are reluctant to admit to.

golden-road

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
Loved Joker90, TNPiR'94, thought Davidson Squares & Davidson Pyramid weren't that bad, and I've enjoyed The Price is Right more in the last three years with Drew Carey, than the last decade with Bob Barker.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 12:10:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'246939\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 07:57 PM\']Excluding the original Gambit, and looking back in hindsight, Wink Martindale is one the most annoying hosts ever.[/quote]

Explain?

[quote name=\'GrandMasterGalvatron\' post=\'246896\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 01:48 PM\']I liked Free 4 All.[/quote]

Explain?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck