Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 71410 times)

The Pyramids

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
I've never seen the appeal of 'Now You See It' and to an extent 'Press Your Luck'.

Not sure if I am in the majority or minority here, but I am not that fond of Drew Carey either.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:15:13 PM by PaulD »

chad1m

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246886\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 02:50 PM\']Actually, I liked him on everything but Whammy![/quote]Confession #2: I enjoy Whammy! ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:24:04 PM by chad1m »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'246890\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 01:14 PM\']I've never seen the appeal of 'Now You See It'[/quote]

I've been hard pressed to come up with anything shocking to participate in this thread, but here's one I can glom on to for now. What exactly do people see in this show? It actually made more sense when they ditched the numbers in the '89 revival. The team element in the first format was awkward, and the scoring was bad. The end game and "Chump Change" are good, but its cachet here leaves me scratching my head.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tpirfan28

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
What's My Line > To Tell The Truth.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

GrandMasterGalvatron

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »
I liked Free 4 All.

You have all just winced in your seats.

Unrealtor

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
I like Drew Carey's hosting of "Price", and actually prefer him to Bob's last few years.

I think that the '70s "Family Feud" theme feels out of place on what's otherwise a modern game show, even if it has been re-recorded. (But it's still better than the new theme they used at various times during the current run.)
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tomobrien

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
OK, here's my bit o'blasphemy for the day.  I've always liked Tom Kennedy in just about everything he did...but I still don't see the appeal of "Whew!"

Mr. Matté

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
Except for Pyramid and his G-T shows, I don't really like Bob Stewart shows. Their repetitive gameplay and el cheapo standards really turn me off to them. Not saying that I enjoy watching an occasional Go or Jackpot episode on the Youtubes, but I probably would go nuts watching the same things over and over daily.

And I still like using the "DOUBLING THE POINTS" (or "D. T. [insert another object]") and excessive cheering in a lot of situations despite the dislike of the use of them here.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
Where I differ from the norm is that I think GSN used to be much better than it is now.  (Wait...what's that?)

Seriously, if I never saw another episode of "Hollywood Squares" or from the original run of "Password" in my life, I'd be fine with that.  (Mind you, I appreciate fully the game of "Password", and I like all of the subsequent versions, but that original version...**yawn**.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:08:43 PM by bscripps »
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
Here's one I forgot to mention earlier.  I like TJW '90.  Many may disagree here, but I've always thought of it as the format being updated being no different than when TPIR was updated when that returned in 1972 (of course, Joker wouldn't last nearly as long)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'246897\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 03:49 PM\']I think that the '70s "Family Feud" theme feels out of place on what's otherwise a modern game show, even if it has been re-recorded. (But it's still better than the new theme they used at various times during the current run.)[/quote]
I actually liked the variant of the party theme used in the first couple of years in the O'Hurley version- at least enough where I wish the 88 version would just go away.

There's another- I loved the Ray Combs era of Feud, but that theme song needs to stay in those reruns and not brought back.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
I liked GONG (there's a few of us, but more seem to fall into the "not like it" camp than the "like it" camp).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Bobby B.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
I've always liked Ray Combs better than Richard Dawson.  It's not by a lot, mind you, but Combs' version is the one I grew up watching.

I'm not too keen on Bob Eubanks.  I always found him incredibly condescending, and his mission always seemed to be to make the contestants look stupid.

mcsittel

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »
I've never liked Match Game or Family Feud.  I never could see what the fuss was about either one.  I loved Kline and Friends' "Break the Bank" and "Strike It Rich".  I think Todd Newton has the potential to be a game show hosting legend.  I think Bob Eubanks was a very good host, as was Jim Perry.  I liked the prize cards on Rafferty's Card Sharks (changing the 8 to... a trip to Mexico!).  And Rafferty was a decent host as well.  Oh, and I think Supermarket Sweep is a classic.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandMasterGalvatron\' post=\'246896\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 04:48 PM\']I liked Free 4 All.[/quote]
Ban him right now! ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!