Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 71753 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Where do you differ from the norm?
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:11:09 AM »
This is one I've thought about for quite some time. It seems that here in this forum, we all have certain opinions that are pretty much held by every member. Things like Bill Cullen consistently being regarded as the best host (or at least pretty damn close), Gene Wood and/or Johnny Olson being among the best announcers (and of course, Randy West), Whew! being underrated, et cetera.

But are there any likes/dislikes you have where you seem to differ from the community's "norm"?

Here are some of mine:

* I really, really like the hobba-heeba-humba-hum of the All Star Blitz theme.

* I never cared for Johnny Jacobs or John Harlan as announcers. To my ears, both almost always sounded unenthusiastic and half-hearted. Jacobs gets an exception for the Treasure Hunt intro.

* I didn't think that Patrick Wayne was all that bad on TJW'90. Hell, I find "YOU WIIIIIIN!" a lot more tolerable than, say, Donny running onstage 0.00003 seconds after time runs out and screaming, "OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! WHAT WAS IT, AUDIENCE?!?!?!"

* The Newlywed Game annoys the shiznit out of me in any incarnation. My least favorite parts were the "funny" answers: "What is your husband's favorite rodent?" "The saxophone?" So painfully unfunny.
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:05:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'246852\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 11:11 PM\']Things like Bill Cullen consistently being regarded as the best host (or at least pretty damn close)[/quote]This is one that I have never agreed with.  Granted, I'm only able to go off most of his later work, but it seemed like he dragged the pace to a screeching halt.

I also don't particularly care for Card Sharks or the theme music that accompanied the Perry version. On the flip side, I've never found Pat Finn to be as bad as some make him out to be.  I also like Newlywed Game, Love Connection and Baggage; types of shows that seem to be held in vein around here.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Johnissoevil

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
I'm probably one of the few who thought that TnPIR '94 was an excellent show.  Many people prefered the traditional daytime version to that, while I liked both equally.  I actually found it cool that there were two TPIRs with slightly different formats from each other.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Never, ever liked The Joker's Wild. Not a Jack Barry fan, not a fan of two-minutes-to-read easy questions, not a fan of the end game, not a fan of any game with an "instant win" feature, and definitely not a fan of the game - maybe it's because it's Barry-Enright, but I thought the "slot machine" was way to easy to fix to give one contestant the edge.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'246857\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 07:43 AM\']I'm probably one of the few who thought that TnPIR '94 was an excellent show.  Many people prefered the traditional daytime version to that, while I liked both equally.  I actually found it cool that there were two TPIRs with slightly different formats from each other.[/quote]
I thought it was a fun show and in retrospect, liked that they didn't try to emulate Barker's version. But even at the age of 11 or 12, I found it odd that they cut directly to the chase. Doug Davidson was a pretty decent host, all things considered.

Although it was catchy, I thought the Perry's CS theme was a bit overrated.

I've mentioned this one before, but I never found the "French" blooper from P+ to be that funny.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
I loved Price 94- I think they did a lot more things right than wrong. I would have liked to see how the show would have evolved had it been around for a few more years.

I was never too fond of Cullen, either. I think watching Blockbusters and seeing him get through a whole two questions once before going to commercial again that really showed me how slow he was. Bill gets my respect, but there's either a problem with your game or your host if you can't get to a bonus round within a half hour. Although I do have to ask- can that be credited to the fact that he came from a time when conversation and chattiness were more commonplace on game shows (which really didn't age well by the 70s and 80s)?

The P+ French incident- not funny. I'm putting my money on 1) there was an inside joke somewhere in there or 2) somebody had a drink or two before showtime.

No matter what show he hosts, Bob Eubanks reeks of Newlywed Game to me. Maybe it's his voice or his question delivery, or maybe it's just his personality, but on all of the non-Newlywed Game shows he hosts, he sounds like he's still hosting The Newlywed Game.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:17:22 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
I really, really loved The Newlywed Game, specifically when hosted by Bob Eubanks. However, I agree that the famous "bloopers" of the show are almost always painfully un-funny. I actually think the funnier episodes are the ones that DON'T have some outrageous blooper. Speaking of Bob, he doesn't have a very good reputation in game show communities (And I understand the sentiment/reasons for that), but I think he is a fine host. Even on shows like Card Sharks; I think he fit the spirit of that version of the show very well.

I'm more of a Scrabble fan than I am of $ale of the Century. Also, I think Rod Roddy is terribly overrated, as is Burton Richardson. I actually prefer Rod on Soap, Whew!, and Press Your Luck even. Burton just sounds like a really stereotypical parody of game show announcers, and his voice sometimes makes me cringe, especially on Family Feud.
- CC Kirby

rialtus

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
I have said it before, but I've never liked The Price is Right in pretty much any iteration of the show.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'246856\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 05:05 AM\']I also don't particularly care for Card Sharks or the theme music that accompanied the Perry version. On the flip side, I've never found Pat Finn to be as bad as some make him out to be.  I also like Newlywed Game, Love Connection and Baggage; types of shows that seem to be held in vein around here.[/quote]
That's it?  I was expecting a post in which one view would send Matt and Chris over their bandwidth quota for the month.

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
I enjoy the work of Todd Newton.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »
-I don't really drink the UK Kool-Aid

-If it weren't for 2 bad production decisions (one bad in hindsight), Temptation would've been an okay game

-I like fan jargon, if only because it allows you to paraphrase and because I think I sound like a bad color commentator half the time.  Admittedly, it would be nice if the jargon was easily explainable.

-I find Chuck Woolery annoying

-I admit that the French incident is funny primarily because it's overly long
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:44:56 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'246878\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 02:07 PM\']I enjoy the work of Todd Newton.[/quote]
Actually, I liked him on everything but Whammy!, or the first season. He falls into the category of good host who for some reason who keeps getting stuck with bad or unsuccessful shows.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
I've never been a huge fan of Plinko. It's my least favorite Pricing Game and I really wouldn't care if it was retired.

MG'90, probably due to not being able to get it in my area the first time around, is one of my favorite versions of MG.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246863\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 09:15 AM\']I was never too fond of Cullen, either. I think watching Blockbusters and seeing him get through a whole two questions once before going to commercial again that really showed me how slow he was. Bill gets my respect, but there's either a problem with your game or your host if you can't get to a bonus round within a half hour. Although I do have to ask- can that be credited to the fact that he came from a time when conversation and chattiness were more commonplace on game shows (which really didn't age well by the 70s and 80s)?[/quote]
I think Bill paced the show as instructed. I've been watching a LOT of Blockbusters lately (I recorded the show daily when it was on GSN and I have 2 hour breaks at work, so I bring my DVD player with me). If you watch early episodes of Blockbusters, he moves the show really fast. And here's where I am in the run...Liz & Pat McCarthy have just gone 20-for-20 and taken the show for $120,000, and as soon as they're gone, Bill begins slowing the game way, wayyyyyy down. "We're overbudget, we need to play the end game less often...Bill, go out and be funny for 30 seconds between each question!" It's the kind of thing you don't really notice when you see the show only once a day, but honestly, the more money "Blockbusters" gave away, the slower the show got.

And staying on topic, where do I differ from the norm? I think "Go" sucks.

JepMasta

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
well, here are my differences:

1)  I also really loved TnPIR '94.  I loved the theme, the fact that they were willing to experiment with the format and production of the show, and hell, I really liked Doug Davidson.

2)  I LOVED Don't Forget the Lyrics!  Yeah I know, it was derivative of the Singing Bee, but I don't care.  I thought it was awesome, and Wayne Brady is an excellent compere.

3)  I thought Jack Barry was a MUCH better host of TJW than Bill Cullen.  Don't get me wrong, Bill was, and is, the Dean of hosts, but Jack just brought so much drama and excitement to that game.  Just watch his handling of the $1,000,000 Tournament final...he made the outcome of a game involving a giant slot machine look like it was the World freakin' Series!  I know I was on the edge of my seat a few times.

Brian~