Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Price is Right Updates  (Read 15959 times)

chad1m

More Price is Right Updates
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
A new video has been posted at the Price is Right's official website, with executive producer Mike Richards showing us some of the new features of the upcoming season, including the new game Pay the Rent and the remodeling of Plinko and 10 Chances. If you don't want to watch the video, feel free to click the images below:

Top of Pay the Rent
Bottom of Pay the Rent
Pay the Rent's $100,000 sign
The upgrade of 10 Chances
The upgraded digits on 10 Chances
Plinko's new upgrade
Plinko's new dollar amounts
Plinko's new stairs and railing

I'm all for it. The lights around Plinko are interesting - emphasizing it being the show's "marquee game." I'll miss the backyard feel of 10 Chances, but the modern version looks spiffy.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
Buzzerblog is saying that 10 Chances & Plinko will now be "elevated" for "more excitement"... what in the world does that mean? Rule changes?
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'246633\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 06:39 PM\']Buzzerblog is saying that 10 Chances & Plinko will now be "elevated" for "more excitement"... what in the world does that mean?[/quote]If you take elevated for what it means, my guess is that it will be played on a dais of some sort, instead of the rug thing that all the games are carted in on.
Travis L. Eberle

Hastin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
I think 10 Chances looks great!  The old 70s lattice was a hot mess in HD, and the updated buttons didn't fit at all! It looks like they just added some flair to the prop, but it still looks good.

PLINKO changes look okay. I get those lights, but they really fill in the dead spots in HD. It looks good.
-Hastin :)

Unrealtor

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'246635\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 09:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'246633\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 06:39 PM\']Buzzerblog is saying that 10 Chances & Plinko will now be "elevated" for "more excitement"... what in the world does that mean?[/quote]If you take elevated for what it means, my guess is that it will be played on a dais of some sort, instead of the rug thing that all the games are carted in on.
[/quote]

According to the CBS press release

..."Plinko" and "Ten Chances," have been updated and enhanced to elevate game play excitement.

I read that as the excitement being elevated, not the games.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »
No no NO! This looks like utter shite and I'm NEVER watching again!!1!

(storms out)
(slams door)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:47:08 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »
(Okay I'm back)

They all look nice...I like the pastels in Plinko, and the dollar sign rails are a very nice touch...kinda classy. The new 10 Chances board will take a little getting used to, only because I'm so used to the red, white, and green, and the lattices...

Oh, and I love how they chopped off a 0 from the Million Dollar Spectacular lights... ;-)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:50:03 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246641\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 09:48 PM\']Oh, and I love how they chopped off a 0 from the Million Dollar Spectacular lights... ;-)[/quote]

Yeah. I did like the repurposing there.

Seeing all of the games that they've brought into the 21st century makes me realize just how badly they needed to start doing this years ago. (Partly because I would have preferred to do more with some of the game props than new paint and new lights if I wasn't trying to spread my budget over multiple updates over the course of a season.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:27:51 PM by Unrealtor »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'246642\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 11:27 PM\']Seeing all of the games that they've brought into the 21st century makes me realize just how badly they needed to start doing this years ago.[/quote]
If you never realized it, how necessary could it have been?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:00:39 AM »
Love the new 10 Chances prop...and they managed to redo it without any major technical changes. The grey floor makes it look a little drab, bit heaven forbid they make it yellow or something.

Plinko doesn't look bad, although the floor lights look out of place. I really like the illuminated sign at the top of the board, though. Maybe all these new lights means that Plinko gets a dark intro this season?

Repurposing the $1 million sign was a great idea, and the lights go down in Pay the Rent's intro...dare I say it replaces Plinko as the game with the most intro fanfare? Well, since Mike Richards said it's the first game on the first new show, we'll see in the first 5 minutes.

Great changes all around, and I can't wait to see what other new graphical changes the show has in store.

EDIT- no surprise here, but the tears have been flowing at Golden Road since the video was posted. Half of them don't realize how outdated some of these games look, with Ten Chances being one of the main perpetrators.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:46:28 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:44:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'246643\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 10:36 PM\'][quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'246642\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 11:27 PM\']Seeing all of the games that they've brought into the 21st century makes me realize just how badly they needed to start doing this years ago.[/quote]
If you never realized it, how necessary could it have been?
[/quote]

It's a question of degree. I knew the games looked dated, but didn't realize just how dated they looked because they were familiar and it changed slowly. Once you have the new version, it gives you something to compare the older version to.

For an analogy: I know that my car is covered in dust and dirt, because it hasn't rained in over a month and I haven't washed it in that time. (True story.) I don't notice it getting dirtier because I drive it every day and there isn't that much more dirt on it on any given day than there was the previous day. But my failure to realize just how much grime had accumulated until after it's cleaned up doesn't mean that I don't need to wash it.

Loogaroo

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »
I still don't understand why Plinko doesn't get a long-overdue payout bump. Not in the center slot, mind you, but the other ones - $100 slots on the outside are about as outdated as $5 a point on Feud.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
I think Plinko's fine in that regard. Where the lower amounts fail is Punch a Bunch, where $1,000 hardly stops anybody anymore.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:28 AM »
So I know this is awfully nitpicky, even for this board (well, maybe not for *this* board), but I'm really not liking the change from "Ten Chances" to "10 Chances".  The rest of the set--fine.  Maybe it's Mrs. Burke's 7th grade English class sticking in my mind, but having the number there looks...just odd to me.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:39:15 AM »
Pay the Rent looks interesting.  Can't wait to see how it plays out in about 3 weeks.

10 Chances:  A very nice update.  Blue's my favoritte coloe so this change will help.  Having lighted buttons(or whatever they have that reveals the prices) makes it look pretty slick while the numbers look much more rounded than the old ones.

Plinko:  Like the lights at the top.  The railings on the stairs add a neat touch.  Now if we just replace those darn $100 slots with $250 slots.