Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Info from SB  (Read 9129 times)

inturnaround

Info from SB
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2003, 11:28:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chuckwooleryfan\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 10:57 PM\'] Actually, someone on the GSN forums (one of the more intelligent posters, I may add) says it is highly probable that GSN could be interested in more classics as well after the ratings success of WWTBAM?. He keeps mentioning how it's a matter of when, not if, a show like The Price is Right were to join the network.

Of course, that's just speculation on his part, so I'm treating it just as that. [/quote]
 We live in a world where a show that went off the air less than 2 years ago is called a classic...

Scary.

I'm not even 30 and I feel old now.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Card Shark

Info from SB
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 06:55:40 AM »
In other news from SB, "Price Specials Set to Air in December, '04". Someone needs to double check what gets printed.
Adam Strom

Esoteric Eric

Info from SB
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 08:25:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 03:55 AM\']In other news from SB, "Price Specials Set to Air in December, '04". Someone needs to double check what gets printed.[/quote]
I interpreted the headline to read "Price Specials Set to air in December and '04" (two specials in December and one in January.)

Esoteric Eric, who hasn't contacted SB about another slip yet, but... his WWTBAM wrapup includes a misread question (the one re: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura; SB's site says "The Last Action Hero" (an AS vehicle) was a movie that featured neither star, when it was the only one not to feature both of them.  I have to admit that I didn't know JV was in "Batman & Robin.")
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Ian Wallis

Info from SB
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 09:16:53 AM »
We live in a world where a show that went off the air less than 2 years ago is called a classic...

In the case of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", I think it should be called a classic.  It was certainly appointment television for me, and I can't think of too many other shows that captured the following that "Millionaire" did during its ABC days.

Even now, it's still a pretty good show!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MrGameShow

Info from SB
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2003, 02:47:08 AM »
Ya know something.. I can't believe that everyone gets so STUCK on this whole "Chuck Woolery is the only host for Scrabble, and anything not like the 80's version is gunna be crap"

Having been PERSONALLY INVOLVED with the Mindless Entertainment version, and having seen the first pilot done with John O'Hurley, the whole focus of both of these pilots was to bring the REAL game of Scrabble to TV.

Although I'm contracted not to go into detail about the shows, what I CAN say is that both versions were more based on building your own words from a rack of tiles, rather than the original version of "pick a tile and fill in a letter".

The 'second pilot' was ordered because the first show was kinda boring to watch, and Mark Cronin had come up with a similar, yet more interactive version which would have fit with their online gaming of today.

The reason GSN decided NOT to pick up the show was because they are backing out of game shows for the most part to explore this "GAME" angle. CRAM is nothing but "Icey eye candy" IMO. There is really NOTHING that you can play along with during the show, since you never see any of the materials online, nor have access to their books. [And 50:1 odds that is why they added Stacy to LINGO:S3, since the mostly 18-35 male demographic tuned into CRAM to see Icey in the low cut shirts..]

As for Kennedy, she was FANTASTIC. I went into the show with the expectations of her to fail, but she pulled that show off with FLYING COLOURS! It was very much the forum for her sense of humour.

Chuck can't even remember how the hell LINGO is played, even after half of the third season was over!! Maybe the 5 letters was too much of a stretch from the 2 he was used to back in the 80s.. :D

itiparanoid13

Info from SB
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2003, 10:24:07 AM »
see, i am a huge fan of Kennedy.  She is smart, sexy, and very wity.  the only flaw i can see in her is that she reads timed questions too slow, which we saw in example when she hosted WinTuition and almost cost the guy winning the $50,000.  I think she is perfect for FoF also.  However, i really did love the show for a long time, but its just moved onto my like/tollerate list.  personally, i cant stand the reruns anymore.  Also, the main game needs to be switched.  The Palace version of Friend or Foe? changed the main game and it works a lot better.  I enjoy the backstabbing also.  i know a lot of people dont, but i like it.  I think she would have done great in Scrabble, but why bring back Cram.  I think that the Feast of Favorites should have been a good showing of what shows the fans want to see renewed and brought back, especially if they are on 2 years in a row!  I always say it and im going to say it again, does anyone else agree with me that the network was a million times better when it was just Whammy, Friend or Foe?, Russian Roulette, Lingo, and then the classics.  I think it was, and i think the fans saw that also, because the only originals that made it were the first 4 originals that came when the network was retooled.  The only reason i will watch Cram today is because of Icey.  it offers the least amount of play along factor and really no excitement.  Whammy offers about 5 minutes of play along factor, but its VERY enjoyable to see people go around and press their luck, not watching sleepless zombies walk around a set.  Russian Roulette, IMO the best of the originals, offers a great amount of play along ability AND the drop factor is truly fun to watch.  Friend or Foe?, well, its play along factor is limited but i really like Kennedy.  I wont even touch WinTuition, because i want that show to be hidden far far away.  I only watch Funny Money cause im a stand up comic fan.  it seems like Scrabble could have been good.

Also, i agree with what Chris said.  It seems like GSN is just forgetting the whole game show aspect of the network.  Now i supported GSN Video Games, and for 1 reason only, i am a huge video game fan.  It got bad and boring REALLY quick.  All they seem like they are doing now is going for the newest "game" stuff, and forgetting the high rated shows, like Whammy and Russian Roulette, which made the network what it is.  Lingo did not get any better this season, with the exception of the theme music.  the set doesnt fit the show at all.  i actually enjoyed season 2 set, and they could have done a paint job or something, but they went for a new set again.  The model doesnt appeal to me at all, and call me superficial, but i want younger women like Icey.  They could have done so much to the game, like add money in the front game, maybe a prize ball in the hopper, retool the bonus round, or do something, however, they decided just to give it a new look.  although i think im gonna be wrong, but i really hope the show fails this season and they do something to the main game.  also, i hope the blackjack show bombs!  i thought the failure of GSN Video Games would point it out that fans dont want to see video games, they want game shows, but Cronin is persistant.  Oh well, i just hope they can do something really fast to help the network.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 10:32:13 AM by itiparanoid13 »

Terry K

Info from SB
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 03:35:06 AM »
Chuck said something on the host Lingo they ran on Thurs about Marc Summers filling in for him on Scrabble at one time, IIRC.

Does anyone have any specifics on this one?

zachhoran

Info from SB
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 09:17:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 03:35 AM\'] Chuck said something on the host Lingo they ran on Thurs about Marc Summers filling in for him on Scrabble at one time, IIRC.

Does anyone have any specifics on this one? [/quote]
 Chuck wasn't absent when Marc SUmmers hosted Scrabble. It was during one of the Game SHow Host weeks they had(they had one in 1987, and another in 1988). Chuck played the maingame while Marc hosted. The hosts(as with all the times Scrabble did a celeb week IIRC) were playing for home viewers who sent in a postcard, rather than for charity. I don't think Chuck ever missed a taping of Scrabble(even when his son Chad died in an accident in early 1986, he reported on Entertainment Tonight a few years back that he was taping Scrabble at the time he heard about the tragedy)

zachhoran

Info from SB
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2003, 09:36:51 AM »
SB reports in his story on Lingo's season premiere tonight that Bob Boden and GSN will make "A major announcement" later this month, which may affect his 2004 programming schedule. G-d knows what that might be; We'll find out soon I guess.

Brandon Brooks

Info from SB
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2003, 10:25:07 AM »
Has Chuck lost a little poundage?

Brandon Brooks

CBSJokersWildFan

Info from SB
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2003, 10:34:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:25 AM\']Has Chuck lost a little poundage?[/quote]

Looks like it.  He certainly appears slimmer in the recent Lingo promos.

melman1

Info from SB
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2003, 11:41:02 AM »
I saw him in an informercial recently, shilling for a weight-loss product.  He claimed to have lost 40 pounds.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

cmjb13

Info from SB
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2003, 11:48:30 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:41 AM\'] I saw him in an informercial recently, shilling for a weight-loss product.  He claimed to have lost 40 pounds. [/quote]
He looked very thin on Squares back in October (air in Jan).

He reminds me of Jack Barry during those Lingo promos having lost that weight.

I actually thought he lost the weight due to stress from his separation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 11:49:02 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ilb4ever2000

Info from SB
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2003, 03:37:57 PM »
I saw him in an informercial recently, shilling for a weight-loss product.  He claimed to have lost 40 pounds.

That makes two infomercials so far.

What is this, ChuckWatch? Anywho, he was on QVC yesterday afternoon. Ditto on his appearance there...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 03:40:05 PM by ilb4ever2000 »