Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Info from SB  (Read 8809 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Info from SB
« on: November 20, 2003, 08:54:32 PM »
...Scrabble Challenge.

In related items, Boden said GSN will eventually return Cram to a five-night-a-week prime time run but is resting the game at the moment. He added the network has decided not to go forward with Scrabble. Kennedy hosted a pilot for the word game for Mindless Entertainment.

whampyl03

Info from SB
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 08:57:18 PM »
Ahh crap.  I was greatly enjoying the severe lack of Cram in the Primetime hours.

Pyramid80

Info from SB
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 09:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 07:57 PM\'] Ahh crap.  I was greatly enjoying the severe lack of Cram in the Primetime hours. [/quote]
 Same here!  I am sort of glad that they aren't going forward with Scrabble.  I have a feeling that I would have been highly disappointed and it wouldn't even compare to the great version that we all know and love!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Info from SB
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 10:06:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 07:59 PM\'] Same here!  I am sort of glad that they aren't going forward with Scrabble.  I have a feeling that I would have been highly disappointed and it wouldn't even compare to the great version that we all know and love! [/quote]
 No. It might have been better.

Frankly, I'm not surprised they scrapped it. Based on the feedback they would have gotten around here, anything that wasn't a straight clone of the Woolery show would have been met with much bitching and moaning.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chuckwooleryfan

Info from SB
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 09:59:40 AM »
Glad to know Cram will be coming back soon, but that is too bad for Scrabble. Chances are I would've enjoyed that thoroughly.

uncamark

Info from SB
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 03:05:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 10:06 PM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 07:59 PM\'] Same here!  I am sort of glad that they aren't going forward with Scrabble.  I have a feeling that I would have been highly disappointed and it wouldn't even compare to the great version that we all know and love! [/quote]
No. It might have been better.

Frankly, I'm not surprised they scrapped it. Based on the feedback they would have gotten around here, anything that wasn't a straight clone of the Woolery show would have been met with much bitching and moaning.[/quote]
And it should be stated that according to Jeff Graham's book, Grundy tried to develop a faithful translation of Scrabble at first but came to the decision that it just didn't work and went to the format we know and love.  It took GSN two different packagers and pilots to come to the same conclusion.

WhammyPower

Info from SB
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 09:34:36 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 07:54 PM\']
In related items, Boden said GSN will eventually return Cram to a five-night-a-week prime time run but is resting the game at the moment. He added the network has decided not to go forward with Scrabble. Kennedy hosted a pilot for the word game for Mindless Entertainment.
[/quote]
 KENNEDY?  Even though she was okay in WinTuition, I still think that was a bad decision.  WHY NOT WOOLERY?

TonicBH

Info from SB
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 10:39:45 AM »
Blech. Why don't they just take Cram OFF THE DAMN AIR? I've gotten sick of it! I don't watch it anymore! (Which should be logic to anyone who hates a certain show.)

But it's just that, Cram's been oversaturized. a commercial for it comes every five damn seconds, eventually triggering the viewer to either go "hmm, this 'Cram' might be nice" or "GSN's really desperate if they're advertising 'Cram' so much."

And on the Scrabble show: Sorry it failed, but don't put Kennedy in the hosting spot for anything. I dunno, she seemed better as an MTV VJ than a game show host. MHO, anyways.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

MCArroyo1

Info from SB
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 10:44:17 AM »
WHY NOT WOOLERY?
I'm sure he's busy enough with Lingo.  Believe it or not, he has a life.  And from what I've heard, Scrabble Challenge is quite different from the old Scrabble, so he has no bigger right to host it than anyone else.

Besides, they're already showing Love Connection, Greed, and Lingo reruns.  We have enough Chuck on the schedule.

Kennedy was OK on Wintuition, but I thought she did well on the CA Recall special "Who Wants to Be Governor of California?"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 10:45:23 AM by MCArroyo1 »

Brandon Brooks

Info from SB
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 02:04:36 PM »
Blech. Why don't they just take Cram OFF THE DAMN AIR? I've gotten sick of it! I don't watch it anymore! (Which should be logic to anyone who hates a certain show.)
I like Cram.  And it does well in the ratings.  So there.

But it's just that, Cram's been oversaturized. a commercial for it comes every five damn seconds, eventually triggering the viewer to either go "hmm, this 'Cram' might be nice" or "GSN's really desperate if they're advertising 'Cram' so much."
Oversaturized isn't a word, and people are watching.  That's all that matters to GSN.

And on the Scrabble show: Sorry it failed, but don't put Kennedy in the hosting spot for anything. I dunno, she seemed better as an MTV VJ than a game show host. MHO, anyways
YMMV.  She seems just fine as FoF's host, even though I really don't like that show.

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Info from SB
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2003, 02:30:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 10:39 AM\']

And on the Scrabble show: Sorry it failed, but don't put Kennedy in the hosting spot for anything. I dunno, she seemed better as an MTV VJ than a game show host. MHO, anyways. [/quote]
 Well, you can't be an MTV VJ forever.  I like Kennedy and I think she does a fine job on FOF.  If there could be a long-form (2 to 3 hour) game show, maybe Scrabble and Monopoly would work better.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Info from SB
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2003, 07:28:56 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 10:44 AM\']

Besides, they're already showing Love Connection, Greed, and Lingo reruns.  We have enough Chuck on the schedule.
 [/quote]
 I think some of us would deal with more CHuck on the schedule if it meant them getting a hold of the 80s Scrabble(not likely) or pulling out some WOolery WOF's(slightly more likely, if they do have any).

Brandon Brooks

Info from SB
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 07:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 07:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 10:44 AM\']

Besides, they're already showing Love Connection, Greed, and Lingo reruns.  We have enough Chuck on the schedule.
 [/quote]
I think some of us would deal with more CHuck on the schedule if it meant them getting a hold of the 80s Scrabble(not likely) or pulling out some WOolery WOF's(slightly more likely, if they do have any). [/quote]
What determines your scale of "likliness," because Scrabble seems more probable than Woolery WOF.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 07:33:02 PM by Brandon Brooks »

zachhoran

Info from SB
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2003, 08:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 07:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 07:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 10:44 AM\']

Besides, they're already showing Love Connection, Greed, and Lingo reruns.  We have enough Chuck on the schedule.
 [/quote]
I think some of us would deal with more CHuck on the schedule if it meant them getting a hold of the 80s Scrabble(not likely) or pulling out some WOolery WOF's(slightly more likely, if they do have any). [/quote]
What determines your scale of "likliness," because Scrabble seems more probable than Woolery WOF.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 They wouldn't have to consult with Fremantle to get the rights to Woolery Scrabble, and Sony owns WOF at this point(though they might have difficulty getting shows beyond the 1988-89 season now because of the Liberty Media(?) deal). They seem to want to go for more recent shows these days, given their acquisitions of Twenty One, Weakest Link, and Millionaire of recent.

chuckwooleryfan

Info from SB
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2003, 10:57:59 PM »
Actually, someone on the GSN forums (one of the more intelligent posters, I may add) says it is highly probable that GSN could be interested in more classics as well after the ratings success of WWTBAM?. He keeps mentioning how it's a matter of when, not if, a show like The Price is Right were to join the network.

Of course, that's just speculation on his part, so I'm treating it just as that.