Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are the GSN boards worthwhile?  (Read 25812 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Are the GSN boards worthwhile?
« on: November 20, 2003, 11:34:01 AM »
So I was reading the bits at the current end of the Claudia Speaks Out thread, talking about the other message boards. I only frequent this one, as most of you know. ('Cuz you'd prolly notice me if I were on other ones. ;)) And yet Matt says the GSN boards get more business. I'm wondering why.

So I guess what I'm asking for is a summary of the GSN boards. What kind of discussion / arguments / flame wars happen there that don't here, are there intelligent people posting there who don't here, is it worth my time to get set up there?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

daveromanjr

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:54:38 AM »
I go to both boards equally.  The GSN boards have some very intelligent posters (TheKid) who always have good replies and topics.  But there are large amounts of falmes and downright rude people on there as well.  There is a clear line between classic fans and original fans.  Some people (billcullenfan or some name close to that after he gets banned for the umpteenth time) are diehard if-its-not-an-original-its-Gods-gift-to-television people who are just annoying.

Case and point: Here has more intelligent and throught provoking conversation and topics... but GSN boards have many more people and, well, are usually funny when reading some of the weird stuff people post.  Plus you're more likely to get a reply from them as opposed to here, I've noticed.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 12:00:18 PM »
The GSN boards seem to have a lot more annoying people in them....Our good friend Darryl Heine still posts over there, and drives everyone there nuts too...

Not to mention the fact they're not very good at banning people and keeping them away....A user who does nothing but argue and complain about the "originals" and how much he hates them has been under a lot of screen names, but everyone knows it's him.

I also think the GSN boards get more business because of how accessible they are from the home page of GSN.....And people just find a community of other game show fans, and they start posting......

There are disagreements here, but it seems like there's a lot more of them over there, as compared to here. I don't know to explain it, but overall the IQ level seems to be higher on this board than the other one.

One last thing - that board lets you include pictures in your signature (I would assume this one doesn't, as I've never seen one), which can slow the loading time. For someone on dialup, this board is easier to access.

I mainly lurk over there, unless Darryl or someone else posts something really stupid and I can't hold myself back from replying.

Personally, Chris - I'd like to see you over there too. Would make my day to see you put people in their place there. :)

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 01:19:43 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 10:54 AM\'] I go to both boards equally.  The GSN boards have some very intelligent posters (TheKid) who always have good replies and topics.  But there are large amounts of falmes and downright rude people on there as well.  There is a clear line between classic fans and original fans.  Some people (billcullenfan or some name close to that after he gets banned for the umpteenth time) are diehard if-its-not-an-original-its-Gods-gift-to-television people who are just annoying.

Case and point: Here has more intelligent and throught provoking conversation and topics... but GSN boards have many more people and, well, are usually funny when reading some of the weird stuff people post.  Plus you're more likely to get a reply from them as opposed to here, I've noticed. [/quote]
People who like game shows but don't care to learn the minutiae behind them are better served by the GSN boards.  People who want to discuss strategy, game theory and, especially, the moving parts of specific sets are better served here.  I too visit both boards.

GSN boards are the place to go if you just want to say how much you love a certain show or host.  (To a lesser degree, the same is true if you replace "love" with "hate.")  They're also good if you want to know what game show lovers at large think about things.  To illustrate how unrepresentative we (GSF members) are, consider this:  Is there even one woman among our frequent posters?

The language skills employed here are much higher than at GSN.  (This may mean that we're better or just that we take the trouble to do things right.  It's probably a combination of the two.)

ETA:  I had to post this and then go back to the list of topics in order to see whether posting a poll is an option here.  That's how seldom it happens.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 01:23:36 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 01:28:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 01:19 PM\']To illustrate how unrepresentative we (GSF members) are, consider this:  Is there even one woman among our frequent posters?[/quote]
Well, we do have Dot--I mean Tammy--the Warner sister here.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 01:48:55 PM »
Without taking anything away from the GSN boards and our many good members  that frequent both forums, I'm very pleased to see the general consensus being that the conversations here are generally of a higher caliber.  (On the other hand, of course that's what WE'D say!)  I've dismissively referred to the GSN posters as "children" and Guide Angel as their "babysitter" in the past, and that was probably unfair.  Still, Chris and I take a great deal of pride in the fact that our membership in general seems to be older and more discerning.  We also know that many industry insiders check us out with some regularity, and I would bet they take our comments a lot more seriously than those in other forums.

BTW, their discussion groups are probably not that much more active than we are anyway.  For example, I just checked and found 18 threads in their "In General" section with today's date, and right now our "Big Board" has 14.  Not a huge difference.  A lot of their numbers are busy playing the interactive games, and a small handful of their members seem compelled to post something in every single thread, no matter how meaningless.

Still, there are good messages there too, and if you want to get a lot of different takes about hot-button topics (Claudia Jordan's TPIR exit, for example), there are usually a lot more opinions posted over there.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

melman1

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 02:58:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 11:48 AM\'] I've dismissively referred to the GSN posters as "children" and Guide Angel as their "babysitter" in the past, and that was probably unfair.  Still, Chris and I take a great deal of pride in the fact that our membership in general seems to be older and more discerning. [/quote]
 GSN's boards have way too many poorly-educated children (or adults that act like or pretend to be children, etc.) and the moderator(s) seems to encourage 'em to keep on coming.  There's only a small handful of knowledgeable posters.

I'm reading far too many discussion board sites right now, and when I start purging my bookmarks GSN's boards will be the first to go.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 03:37:07 PM »
I haven't been to the GSN boards, but the way everyone talks makes it sound like the worst of ATGS went over there.  I think I'll just do my occasional posting in here for now.

mctoyboy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 04:16:58 PM »
Well, i just recently found this board and it seems much more civilized. I figured maybe people hee had realized that fighting over TV is silly. I didn't find this board for a long time....and don't even remember how i stumbled upon it! To be fair, i did learn A LOT when i first got GSN from their boards. But they do seem to have degraded a bit =)
j

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 04:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 01:48 PM\'] I've dismissively referred to the GSN posters as "children" and Guide Angel as their "babysitter" in the past, and that was probably unfair. [/quote]
It's not unfair at all.
When you have a large number of posters who are 13, and they cannot accept criticism; instead; they levy that the older posters are rude, etc., then all she does is babysit and make these little brats (on GSN's boards) happy.

Case in point.
On the off-topic thread, there was a discussion about Matt Kenseth winning the championship for auto racing.  I made the comment that the organization would have had a championship a long time ago had they not cheated.  The original poster went nuts, and accused me of only finding fault, and if I don't have anything nice to say about Matt Kenseth (why should I?), then not to post on his thread.  My post was deleted.

Also, we are not allowed to criticize people for grammar and/or spelling.  It's absurd when people are allowed to type like this:

I thnkik that match game shulld be hosteeddd bbyb Judeee Tuneta.

Really, it's a forum for those with a lower intellect; with the exception of a few.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 11:47:24 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 05:05:29 PM »
I tried. I lasted about ten minutes.

One guy ACTUALLY HAS AS HIS SIGNATURE that he doesn't spell correctly or put words in the right places and if I don't like it I shouldn't read his posts.

Then in another thread I saw three HUGE signatured gifs of some head-shaved idiot making the "hard core rock-n-roll" gestures who I can only assume is Iann Robinson based on the poster's undying love for same.

I did make one post, though, some idjit suggesting that the GameCube got short shrift on GSN's video game block and that they should remember "who started it all." We'll see if he bothers to look into who Ralph Baer is...

Nope. I was right. I'd go insane if I submitted myself to that for any length of time. Maybe I'll give Slashdot a shot instead.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 03:17 PM\'] I thnkik that match game shulld be hosteeddd bbyb Judeee Tuneta.
 [/quote]
 Now tat wud be funi.  :)

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts (and one year away from the cesspool formerly known as ATGS)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 05:20:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 04:05 PM\'] One guy ACTUALLY HAS AS HIS SIGNATURE that he doesn't spell correctly or put words in the right places and if I don't like it I shouldn't read his posts. [/quote]
 The part about putting words in the right place reminds me of the commentator that Chris Farley occasionally played on SNL.  "They usually go with some pretty boy who (finger-quotes) uses deodorant, whose (fq) clothes are the (fq) right size.  Someone who doesn't (fq) scare (fq) children."
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

melman1

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 06:22:21 PM »
The sad thing is, GSN could really help itself by having an announce-only board to let the viewers know about upcoming lineup changes and such.

Someone posted a comment just this afternoon that a GSN employee informed him that the Feast of Favorites lineup will NOT be preannounced... the phony lineup that escaped last week just being a slip-up by a programmer somewhere.

I find this simply inexcusable.  Makes me appreciate what TVLand does on their site, all the more.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 06:34:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 05:05 PM\'] I did make one post, though, some idjit suggesting that the GameCube got short shrift on GSN's video game block and that they should remember "who started it all." We'll see if he bothers to look into who Ralph Baer is... [/quote]
 You wouldn't happen to know the address of that thread, would you?