Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Eubanks style  (Read 17344 times)

Card Shark

Card Sharks Eubanks style
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'245928\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 07:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'245912\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 09:01 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245904\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 12:32 AM\']Didn't the syndicated version as three questions in the first two games and only one in the third?[/quote]
The syndicated and CBS version used the basic format of four questions in the first two games and three in the third;
[/quote]

Travis is nearly right; for a brief period on the syndie version (as noted here) one less question was asked in each round. Other posts I'm finding add another configuration to the mix, saying they briefly asked 4 questions, then 3, then 2, before going back to the original setup.

-Jason
[/quote]

It was kind of hard to tell because they always seemed to have an inaccurate number of question places lit up on the podium. For example, during round 2 on many occasions, all 4 would be lit up when there would only be 3 actual questions, and other variations.
Adam Strom

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245925\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 04:07 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'245923\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 02:33 PM\']and the CBS theme fit the CBS set.[/quote]Does not compute.
[/quote]

In other words, as much as I loved the old Card Sharks/Double Dare theme, I think it would have sounded a bit outdated, if they had resurrected it on the CBS version.

/Why I said "set"??? 2 Honey Brown and 1 Corona Beer.  Pre-season football is on!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'245931\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 06:14 PM\']In other words, as much as I loved the old Card Sharks/Double Dare theme, I think it would have sounded a bit outdated, if they had resurrected it on the CBS version.[/quote] OK, that at least makes sense. I don't necessarily agree completely, but I understand why you would say so.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 05:55:24 AM »
While never being a huge fan of Card Sharks(the contestants are a huge turnoff), I've always preferred the 80s run to the 70s.  The set is cleaner and crisper.  

Eubanks sucked balls as a host and his version comes in last in my book.  Perry/Rafferty are tied in hosting...but the 80s syndie run gets the nod due to the addition of the educated guess questions, prize cards, etc.  However...
I felt that the CBS theme sounded too much like stock commercial music.
this, I would agree with.  Not a fan of the 70s theme either though...neither theme has much drama/mood to it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 06:18:18 AM »
The CBS Card Sharks music was one of Kalehoff's better works since emerging from his dark period with Goodson and working independently of Score. Can't say MG/HS Hour or Trivia Trap were any great shakes.

davemackey

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'245962\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 06:18 AM\']The CBS Card Sharks music was one of Kalehoff's better works since emerging from his dark period with Goodson and working independently of Score. Can't say MG/HS Hour or Trivia Trap were any great shakes.[/quote]
They actually went through three different mixes of that Kalehoff theme. The first one used when the show went on the air in January 1986 is the one you hear at TVPMM. No horns, just synth, guitar, drums, bells, etc. It was only used for about four or five weeks. The second one was used only for a few weeks and went a little too in-your-face with horns. The third one was used for most of the run and was a happy medium between the other two, adding subtler horns.

SteveR

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
I like the scale of the CBS set. Everything was just a little bit smaller (the cards) or shorter ... mainly because not many hosts are as tall as Jim Perry.

The educated guess and 10-in-the-audience questions were probably the only CBS additions that I felt added a real element to the game. Also, maybe, the $400 addition to the second level of the money cards ... to get the maximum win to an even $32,000.

Otherwise, the NBC approach to the game play was my favorite.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
I never liked the educated guess questions. They felt out of place when all of the other questions were about public opinion -- it would be like watching an episode of "Family Feud," and all of a sudden they're asking the teams to name the six longest rivers in the world. Plus, watching the Chyron operator type the answer onto the screen (where it didn't necessarily even fit in the on-set display area) looked really tacky.

The survey of ten didn't do anything for me either, but at least that was in the spirit of the show.

I prefer the Perry version, which is interesting since the Eubanks version is the first version I saw in my childhood -- you'd think the childhood memories would make me remember it more fondly.

(Although when I play Money Cards at home, I use the Eubanks version's rules.)

alfonzos

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
I didn't care for the educated guess questions. Other than that I have no preference between network versions.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'245978\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 12:37 PM\']I never liked the educated guess questions. They felt out of place when all of the other questions were about public opinion -- it would be like watching an episode of "Family Feud," and all of a sudden they're asking the teams to name the six longest rivers in the world. Plus, watching the Chyron operator type the answer onto the screen (where it didn't necessarily even fit in the on-set display area) looked really tacky.[/quote]
This.  Well said.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'245978\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 12:37 PM\'](Although when I play Money Cards at home, I use the Eubanks version's rules.)[/quote]
I agree with everything you said, except for this. Yeah, it's disappointing when you bust on a pair, but I don't like a bet where there isn't some slight chance of losing, as on aces and 2s. People on Perry's version didn't get too skittish to bet the wad, did they?

Choosing which one of the three change cards felt pointless, but that's no big deal, and I suppose it's nice to give you the change option where you want it. I like it simpler, though, so I'd just take the Perry version and front players more money.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'245994\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 02:35 PM\']People on Perry's version didn't get too skittish to bet the wad, did they?[/quote]
No, which is why it seriously seriously sucked, and was unsatisfying television, when it bit them in the ass. Especially when it effectively ended the game.

(At first I was going to say "after the first level" to head the people who would be bouncing up and down in their chairs to point that out off at the pass. But you know what? As far as I'm concerned, when your max payout dives from $28K down to $3,200, the game's basically over.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'245994\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 04:35 PM\']I agree with everything you said, except for this. Yeah, it's disappointing when you bust on a pair, but I don't like a bet where there isn't some slight chance of losing[/quote]I 'spose you'd be OK with the dealer taking your money on a blackjack if they had one as well?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'245994\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 04:35 PM\']Yeah, it's disappointing when you bust on a pair, but I don't like a bet where there isn't some slight chance of losing, as on aces and 2s. People on Perry's version didn't get too skittish to bet the wad, did they?[/quote]
Eh, I think the push rule brought more fun to the game. Likable contestant has built up a nice bank, they see an Ace or 2, crowd gets excited, contestant goes bonkers. It's a nice moment.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245998\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 05:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'245994\' date=\'Aug 16 2010, 04:35 PM\']Yeah, it's disappointing when you bust on a pair, but I don't like a bet where there isn't some slight chance of losing, as on aces and 2s. People on Perry's version didn't get too skittish to bet the wad, did they?[/quote]
Eh, I think the push rule brought more fun to the game. Likable contestant has built up a nice bank, they see an Ace or 2, crowd gets excited, contestant goes bonkers. It's a nice moment.
[/quote]
Agreed. Losing money on a tie makes for really bad television.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!