Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN doing new 1 vs 100...  (Read 36100 times)

Brig Bother

GSN doing new 1 vs 100...
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »
I've seen much worse ideas. Especially if you were to do that stripped daily.

Setsunael

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'245812\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 06:08 PM\'][quote name=\'Setsunael\' post=\'245811\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 11:02 PM\']//AFAIK, the remaining 75% were NOT given to the Mob[/quote]

The French Wiki article seems to suggest they do, but I'm happy to take your word over theirs!
[/quote]

Yep - but I really remember moments where the Mob was seriously booing contestants leaving with the 25% - and no mention of money for the mob . Maybe it was changed later in the run , too.

J.R.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'245814\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 05:20 PM\']I've seen much worse ideas. Especially if you were to do that stripped daily.[/quote]
That's what I had in mind, yes.
-Joe Raygor

mxc0427

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'245808\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 04:33 PM\']I was never a massive fan of the NBC system. If you get to (for example) $150k and there are still 15 Mob members left who have got to that point because they're good enough to get every single answer right, who in their right mind would gamble their entire winnings on one more question that's only really likely to offer a $10-20k return? It is generally never great design to have a structure that encourages people to quit.[/quote]

Exactly!!!! That's why I liked the most recent format, where eliminating every 10 people increased your winnings.

alfonzos

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
I welcome the return of the series.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chrisholland03

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
If knowing is half the battle, then wild speculation is half of the fun in this forum ;)

Jumpondees

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245806\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 04:25 PM\']JIM BOB: "Hey Cletus, <INSERT INANE QUESTION BASED ON PRIOR POST HERE>
CLETUS: "I dunno...what's on Judge Judy?"[/quote]

Gee...I've seen this fish up close before...LOL

Here's my take.  I would take a variation of the NBC rules and the Dutch rules.  This would keep the game familiar to those who know it, and possibly keep payouts low for a cheap network like GSN.

First off, there would be no walk-offs, either The One eliminates The Mob and takes home the money in their bank, or The Mob splits whatever is in The One's bank when they bomb out.

Top Prize would be $100k.  To get there, a contestant must clear each Mob member at $500 each ($50,000) and if they do that, they get a $50k bonus.
(No complicated formula here, just a straight dollar value for each eliminated mob member + a bonus for clearing them all)

To get to the 100k, would require The One to knock out all 100 mob members without using one of three "helps" that can be purchased for 50% of whatever is in the bank at that time.
(This combines the NBC "helps" with the Dutch "Dodges")

The helps would be:

Trust The Mob
--Same as before, The One is committed to the most popular answer in The Mob

Poll The Mob
--Same as before, The One picks an answer choice and then sees how many mob members picked that answer, then has the chance to ask one of the mob members that selected said answer to explain why.

Then I would add a new "help", and that would be the "Free Pass", which would allow The One to skip the question and eliminate any incorrect mob responses, but no money from mob eliminations would be added to the bank for that question.

Now, I don't see this show coming back in anything less than a 60 minute format, and I can't imagine GSN doing this show more than once a week, but should they decide to be adventurous and go Monday-Friday.  I would suggest going the Syndie DOND route, or maybe a better example would be Jackpot!, and play with the same 101 people (Mob +1) all week, allowing The One to go into The Mob at the end of their game to continue to play for extra cash, but once someone has had a turn as The One during their week, they cannot be selected for that again.

I think what I've laid out pretty much keeps the original NBC game intact but with a few small rules tweaks to customize it to a cable-net budget.  I'd be open to suggestions if there are any.

Jay Temple

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
Not sure what I think about the rest of your proposal, but this:
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'245877\' date=\'Aug 13 2010, 07:16 PM\'][M]aybe a better example would be Jackpot!, and play with the same 101 people (Mob +1) all week, allowing The One to go into The Mob at the end of their game to continue to play for extra cash, but once someone has had a turn as The One during their week, they cannot be selected for that again.[/quote]
is brilliant!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
Remember the acronym:  'KISS' - Keep It Strictly Simple

I would go back to the 2nd format from Season 1, which many people (including myself) liked, before they went to the Season 2 (money-for-every-10-out) format.  Just divide the prize values by 10.

First three questions - $100/head
Next two questions - $200/head
Every question thereafter - $300/head, up to $1,000 (questions 13 & beyond).

$100,000 Grand Prize for eliminating all 100.

Keep the 'Helps' as they were:  Trust the Mob, Poll the Mob, and Ask the Mob.

A 'Sneak Peek' at the question (but not the answers) will be available, if the 'Mob' is dwindled down to 10 or fewer AND all 3 'Helps' have been used.

Phil V

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 01:48:11 AM »
I'm in the process of filling out the application form.  It says something that the casting director only wants California residents.  Is this just something the website lists for every casting call (and can thus be ignored), or are they serious about this?
Due to an error in judgment, a contestant's post was removed and the thread edited.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 02:24:49 AM »
[quote name=\'phvHounds2010\' post=\'245905\' date=\'Aug 14 2010, 10:48 PM\']I'm in the process of filling out the application form.  It says something that the casting director only wants California residents.  Is this just something the website lists for every casting call (and can thus be ignored), or are they serious about this?[/quote]
Likely they are asking for this because they don't want to have to deal with coordinating with out-of-state people for taping / tryouts / etc.

Seems to me that it costs you nothing to fill out the form, depending on how you value your time, and since you're home on a Saturday night filling it out, you might as well finish the job.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
My idea for a complex, yet simple payout is this: Final winnings=Top Prize/(1+Mob left)
While I could eventually calculate the prize per mob member, I don't buy "complex yet simple". You get one or the other.

JIM BOB: "Hey Cletus, that Full House guy said the question's worth $50,000...why'd he only get $3,500?"
CLETUS: "I dunno...what's on Judge Judy?"
Challenge flag, tired of the meme.

If you want to do the thing where you earn more money for taking out bigger chunks of the mob per time (you get paid more for knocking out 90% of the survivors than for 9%) that's fine, just put up the value on screen, say "you knocked out whatever percent of the mob, whatever percent of $10,000 is $whatever, so we add that to your bank, you have $bank. Money or the mob?" Take the having to do math away from the audience, and they'll just accept what the screen text says.

The thing that most bugged me about the show is that it seemed like the Mob were treated as chattel, and just there to be cut down. When I hear that tapings take several hours, and the first few episodes are used as beta-testing for various format changes, I don't like it. I don't like the One is chosen because he or she is the most vivacious, or outgoing bugged me. (witness the One for the 1 vs. 100 Kids episode)

If I'm king of the world, I allow mob members to return for another game until they're wrong three times. The One is chosen from however many survivors are left. You must knock out the entire mob to take home any money. I'll leave the lifelines and how to dole out the money to people who are more interested in that angle than I am.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:08:17 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245919\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 12:07 PM\']Take the having to do math away from the audience, and they'll just accept what the screen text says.[/quote]
Except they won't. If you flash a number up on screen, and people can't figure out how that number was arrived at themselves, they have no investment in it.

And that's good news...for Judge Judy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'245877\' date=\'Aug 13 2010, 07:16 PM\']First off, there would be no walk-offs, either The One eliminates The Mob and takes home the money in their bank, or The Mob splits whatever is in The One's bank when they bomb out.[/quote]
I have a problem with this.  The old way stilts the game way too much in favor of The One, since s/he can bail out and The Mob gets nothing except the opportunity to return (so The One would have to be a real idjit to not walk away with any money).  This way stilts the game way too much in favor of The Mob, since The One can't bail out and gets nothing even if he answers 15 questions in a row with, say, only one Mob member matching him question for question (before tripping up on #16).

Perhaps a penalty fee for a bailout would make it work--say 10%.  So if The One has $40,000, it costs him $4,000 of that to bail (which would be split by the surviving Mob members, who again would be able to return).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:15:17 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'245932\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 07:14 PM\']Perhaps a penalty fee for a bailout would make it work--say 10%.  So if The One has $40,000, it costs him $4,000 of that to bail (which would be split by the surviving Mob members, who again would be able to return).[/quote]That's a mighty low insurance policy to keep someone around.
Travis L. Eberle