Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need Some Help With Pyramid-Type Parody  (Read 5828 times)

GS Warehouse

Need Some Help With Pyramid-Type Parody
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2003, 11:23:33 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:22 PM\'] Door hinge? [/quote]
 [BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ]

That's two words!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 11:26:46 PM »
..so I can't use the senility excuse? :-)

Jay Temple

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 11:53:33 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 10:18 PM\'] And Ol' Guy, don't forget the ultimate evil category:

WORDS THAT RHYME WITH "ORANGE"! [/quote]
 Lunge
Grunge
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 12:25:25 PM »
Regional dialects (or just lazy pronunciation) notwithstanding, "lange" and "grange" would theoretically rhyme with "orange", not "lunge" and "grunge".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 12:36:32 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:00 PM\']If you're still working on the idea - here are six evil categories you would hate to have to guess or give clues to - starting from bottom left box-

1) Odd numbers between 1 and 307
2) Things not found in a bucket
3) Hit Tim Conway TV Shows -or- names of Seinfeld episodes
4) Words that can be spelled two ways (hire, higher)
5) Names of Miss America Runner-Ups
and the biggie at the top:
6) Middle Initials

and for the crude laugh, you could always go with - Things A Person with Tourette's Syndrome might say.[/quote]
Not to mention a ridiculous category that Dick once threw out on the show--Things That Taste Like Lima Beans.

Back when GS-L was more active, when I tried to use Variety headline-ese in a post and caled a "Pyramid" variant "$100G Pyramid" (as in 100 grand), somebody pointed out that in actual numberical abbreviations (like "K," "M," "B") "G" would be an obscenely huge number.  Someone else then came up with a possible Winner's Circle for that mega-heavy coin (to use more Variety-ese)--one of them I remember being Extras in the Chariot Scene in "Ben Hur."

Thad Dixon

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 05:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:23 PM\'][quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:22 PM\'] Door hinge? [/quote]
[BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ]

That's two words![/quote]
So?  We're talking about Pyramid, not Password.  Unless there's another joke of some sort in here that I don't get.

Jay Temple

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 05:28:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 11:36 AM\'] Back when GS-L was more active, when I tried to use Variety headline-ese in a post and caled a "Pyramid" variant "$100G Pyramid" (as in 100 grand), somebody pointed out that in actual numerical abbreviations (like "K," "M," "B") "G" would be an obscenely huge number. [/quote]
 If I remember my metric abbreviations correctly, $100G is how much Dr. Evil demanded on two separate occasions.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 06:00:43 PM »
This thread's too much fun to stay out of...

Thanks for the laughs with the Dick Clark stories. And uncamark, that "Ben Hur extras" is neat. It takes me back to Maxine Fabe's book where she intimated that if the prize budget was heavily dented early in the week, it seemed that the original Pyramid producers picked very difficult top box categories to protect themselves for the rest of the week - not impossible, but close enough.

..and warehouse pal - you asked for WORDS that rhymed with orange, hence, door hinge. Now if it read "SINGLE words that rhyme with orange...." :-)

Ah- my prunes are stewed. Later -

mmb5

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 09:13:16 PM »
These are the categories I use for placeholders for Mike's Game Show Round:

$50-THINGS ON A CHECKER BOARD
$100-PRESIDENTS NAMED BUCHANNAN
$150-SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE "FOUR"
$200-MEDIOCRE FOODS
$250-THINGS ON NEPTUNE
$300-7 DIGIT PRIME NUMBERS

They're not as much as laugh out loud funny, they're just very, very hard.  

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 10:19:17 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 07:13 PM\'] $50-THINGS ON A CHECKER BOARD
 [/quote]
 This one isn't so bad, although it certainly isn't a $50 box, either: "The red squares, the black squares, the kings, the red pieces, the black pieces..."
$200-MEDIOCRE FOODS
This one tickles the hell out of me. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2003, 11:14:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 10:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 07:13 PM\'] $200-MEDIOCRE FOODS[/quote]
This one tickles the hell out of me. :) [/quote]
 Don't you mean "MEDIOCRE FOODS TOM CRUISE'S DENTIST MIGHT EAT"?

And how about "COLORS NOT IN THE OLYMPIC RINGS"?  :-p
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

bwood

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2003, 11:16:15 PM »
Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are really good. I really appreciate it.

I've already described what we want as far as a WC pyramid to the people that do our very low budget props and they have 6 equally sized carboard boxes with the bottoms cut out of them that are going to be spray painted black. After that step is done, I have no idea what we're going to do. We have to find a way to present/reveal the subjects. We can't have trilons because we only have the panels cut from the bottoms of the boxes, "bilons" lol, and they're not cut perfectly straight (but pretty close, what can I expect they do it for free) so we cant put something down the middle of them and flip them from the back because of their shape, they rub the box. I said to hold off cutting the bottoms out until I thought of a plan but they did it anyway, oh well at least they saved the panels they cut out.
Probably just have someone pull the panels off with the subjects behind them (loaded in from the back of the boxes) as they go through them on the "show". Any suggestions are welcomed on how to do this, as I am lost.

As for subject suggestions, PLEASE keep them coming if you think of any more because not only will we pick some for this time, we may have the sketch recurring.

Thanks for all the help!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2003, 11:23:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 09:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 10:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 07:13 PM\'] $200-MEDIOCRE FOODS[/quote]
This one tickles the hell out of me. :) [/quote]
Don't you mean "MEDIOCRE FOODS TOM CRUISE'S DENTIST MIGHT EAT"?

And how about "COLORS NOT IN THE OLYMPIC RINGS"?  :-p [/quote]
 Ya know, sometimes the key to comedy is subtlety.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 12:54:36 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 11:23 PM\']Ya know, sometimes the key to comedy is subtlety.[/quote]
"Subtlety."

"KEYS TO COMEDY?"

*ding!*
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin