Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Chauvanism!  (Read 2990 times)

GSWitch

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« on: November 18, 2003, 08:20:54 PM »
Every time Wheel has a special week of some sort, female contestants are ALWAYS favored!   The Witch (my mascot) is loving it!

PROOF OF POINT #1
On Location:  On the very first week of when they visit a city (IE:  New York, Miami, San Diego) when they have normal contestants, one of the five shows always has 3 LADIES!  The reason, Dallas Week when the gentlemen swept the first week!  The producers prevented this by always having 3 ladies to avoid a men's sweep!  The closest ladies sweep happened in New Orleans (9-1)!

PROOF OF POINT #2
NFL PLAYERS/NBA/SOAP STARS/COUNTRY STARS;  Again always three females with one male once or twice a week!  This is not Match Game 7X, Super Password, The 80's $25,000 Pyramid or (gulp) Just Men!!

What next?  A bonded security agent hiding the $100,000 card?  

It took 5 YEARS for 3 gentlemen to play!  Call me a backwards Susan B. Anthony, but I fight over injustice.  Pardon the Schoolhouse Rock parody...

"Oh we are suffering, just like sufferage!
Not a man could spin or try to solve the puzzle.
There's no 19th amendment, striking that restrictive rule!"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 08:23:58 PM by GSWitch »

J.R.

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 08:35:12 PM »
Uh... wow. All I can say is... wow. You don't get out of the house much, do ya ?

I know there were long streches on the daytime WOF with all 3 contestants female, but thats when Game Shows were primarity marketed towards Housewives.

This got me thinking (And I know I commenteted this at the GSC): If game shows were marketed towards women, then why is virtually 97 % of it's fans male ?
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 08:36:03 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 08:44:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 08:35 PM\']
This got me thinking (And I know I commenteted this at the GSC): If game shows were marketed towards women, then why is virtually 97 % of it's fans male ?
-Joe R. [/quote]
 I've wondered the same thing, especially in regards to this board being close to 97% Male.

uncamark

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 08:45:37 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 08:35 PM\']This got me thinking (And I know I commenteted this at the GSC): If game shows were marketed towards women, then why is virtually 97 % of it's fans male ?[/quote]
Most of us got together through the Internet, in particular Usenet (a.t.g-s), which is still primarily a male province.

Also, I think that the true obsessives that would post on boards or attend things like GSCs tend more to be men than women.  I don't know why, but seems to me that most of the attendees at SF/fantasy conventions are also male.

Perhaps a truer gauge would be looking at the male/female breakdown of a "TPIR" audience or of people who try out for a show like "Wheel" (Q&As like "J!" tend to get mostly males trying out).

GSWitch

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 08:54:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 07:35 PM\'] Uh... wow. All I can say is... wow. You don't get out of the house much, do ya ?

I know there were long streches on the daytime WOF with all 3 contestants female, but thats when Game Shows were primarity marketed towards Housewives. [/quote]
 First off, I have a very good memory & like to keep stats!  I'm not another Rain Man!

BTW, when the daytime Wheel first started on NBC in 1975, I do remember seeing a 1980 episode when three gentlemen played!  Chuck Woolery comes out & after introducing Susan Stafford, he says,

"Am I on the right show?  We never had three men before, what a surprise!  Five years doing this show & this has never happened!"

JayC

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 09:14:51 PM »
Who cares if more women or more men play, it doesn't matter, and probably nobody else notices.

One thing I have noticed on TPiR though, is that whenever there are 3 men in contestants row, Bob always asks for a woman, but when there are 3 women in contestants row, he doesn't ask for a man.

zachhoran

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 09:23:29 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 09:14 PM\']
One thing I have noticed on TPiR though, is that whenever there are 3 men in contestants row, Bob always asks for a woman, but when there are 3 women in contestants row, he doesn't ask for a man. [/quote]
 And on a Fall 1993 episode of TPIR, when all six pricing game players were male, Bob announces its the first time that had happened. He even went so far on a mid 80s episode where all three players in one SCSD were male to say that that was the first time that happened.

The Ol' Guy

Wheel of Chauvanism!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 10:38:41 PM »
Why men tend to enjoy game shows probably comes from two things - they tend to enjoy competition more, and as I used to say when guys who were big time sports fans would turn their nose up at the idea of me enjoying a game show, I'd just say that it all depends on your perspective. I've always felt game shows were the sports of the brain, and sports events were the game shows of muscles. Not much difference in a last-second Hail Mary pass reception for a win and a well-crafted bet and correct answer in Final Jeopardy. The appreciation of both come when we get older. After all, when we can't run with the ball anymore, we tend to try and beat others with our brains. Not a 100% truth, just a theory I thought I'd float by.