The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

About that new Chuck Woolery show

(1/4) > >>

teamfx:
Well, week one has come and gone for \"Chuck Woolery: Naturally Stoned,\" which premiered on Monday, June 15.  We'd like to hear what you guys think about it so far.

Before I forget, did anyone ever see that \"Before They Were Stars\" clip of his performance of Blood, Sweat and Tears' hit \"You've Made Me So Very Happy\" several years back?  Pretty wild, eh?  FYI, according to the fine print, it was from a 1971 telecast of CBC's \"The Tommy Banks Show.\"

Timsterino:
Well it is much better than the other new offering last week, \"Funny Money\". I did not expect it to be as good as it was. However, only based on the first episode, it is more of a documentary series then a reality show IMHO. It should be good for six episodes, any more I think would be too much.

Tim :-)

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote ---it is more of a documentary series then a reality show IMHO
--- End quote ---
A documentary series IS a reality show.  That's pretty much the meaning of \"documentary\".  

Loath as I am to agree with a journalist who makes up words, it's \"reality\" as it applies to television that doesn't really have any meaning.

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 07:59 AM\'] A documentary series IS a reality show.  That's pretty much the meaning of "documentary".  
 [/quote]
 I think what Tim is saying (and I agree with him), is that the definition of \"reality show\" as we know it is programming like Survivor or The Real World where a bunch of people are thrown into a situation, usually fabricated, and the cameras are turned on to see how they handle it. When you're just following someone around with a camera to record their daily life, and then editing the footage down to the notable bits and slapping a voice track over it, that's a documentary in the traditional sense.

If Chuck were being given ridiculous tasks to perform, or were in danger of getting thrown off of the show to be replaced by Graham Elwood or something, THAT would be a \"reality\" show. :)

Timsterino:
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 01:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 07:59 AM\'] A documentary series IS a reality show.  That's pretty much the meaning of "documentary".   
 [/quote]
I think what Tim is saying (and I agree with him), is that the definition of "reality show" as we know it is programming like Survivor or The Real World where a bunch of people are thrown into a situation, usually fabricated, and the cameras are turned on to see how they handle it. When you're just following someone around with a camera to record their daily life, and then editing the footage down to the notable bits and slapping a voice track over it, that's a documentary in the traditional sense.

If Chuck were being given ridiculous tasks to perform, or were in danger of getting thrown off of the show to be replaced by Graham Elwood or something, THAT would be a "reality" show. :) [/quote]
 Thanks, Chris. That is what I meant. I meant it in terms of \"Survivor\", \"Big Brother\", \"The Osbournes\".  I do realize that a \"Documentary\" is a reality show in the truest sense of the word.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version