Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud getting a new set?  (Read 21449 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Family Feud getting a new set?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 01:44 PM\']* Return the Lollipop Trees, with a black stem awarding a $250 bonus.[/quote]
I admit this shouldn't have been first...or at all. I was listing by the general flow of the game, and the fact that the show has brought back some classic element each season.

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 01:44 PM\']* Increase the goal to $400.[/quote]
...Yeah, that was too high. $300 would fit with the current(?) rules, but allow for a bit more money to be given away.

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 01:44 PM\']* Increase the number of rounds per game.[/quote]
I forgot about runtimes >:-(. A half-hour today is far less than a half-hour 35 years ago. And no, I don't want the lame one-Strike round.

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 01:44 PM\']* [A]ward a car after every fifth game a family wins. It's just common sense.[/quote]
Okay, NOT common sense and DEFINITELY not a car, as was explained.

[quote name=\'Modor\'][quote name=\'Dan88\']* No returning-championship limit. Having a limit makes you look behind the times, and getting rid of said limit may draw in quite the audience if a family keeps winning.[/quote]Wheel of Fortune doesn't even have returning champions. Does this make them behind the times?[/quote]
Wheel gives away quite a bit (usually), with a potential six- or seven-figure payout each night. Generally, Feud gives away much less, so theoretically they should be able to afford having a "sky's the limit" policy. There is no reason not to have returning champs if you're doing a low-budget program, unless you're A) stupid or B) a cable network...or C) your format is too constricting to allow returning champs.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Argo

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'243488\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:07 AM\']Well, I guess the move to Orlando also means its time for a new set, according to the FF Twitter feed, and I'm starting to think it may be a bit more retro-inspired than the current one (well, thenagain the O'Hurley set was supposed to be a modernization of the Dawson/Combs-era set)

Firstly, a tweet specifically mentioned a new set had been built, which is a no-brainer, but then it asked us if we remembered "this", and the resulting link for "this" was a screencap of the titlecard from the Dawson version. I'm starting to suspect something might be going on here, is technology good enough nowadays to make a giant trilon of HD monitors?[/quote]

Also, another hint.. don't know is this is strong enough to go by, but in the picture of Steve Harvey with the add for Comfort Inn Family Reunion Sweepstakes, it has a more retro-ish' survey board as well.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243514\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 04:35 PM\']There is no reason not to have returning champs if you're doing a low-budget program, unless you're A) stupid or B) a cable network...or C) your format is too constricting to allow returning champs.[/quote]
...or D) you want to be cost-effective and have enough money to last you throughout the season?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'243520\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 05:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243514\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 04:35 PM\']There is no reason not to have returning champs if you're doing a low-budget program, unless you're A) stupid or B) a cable network...or C) your format is too constricting to allow returning champs.[/quote]
...or D) you want to be cost-effective and have enough money to last you throughout the season?[/quote]
In fairness, having returning champs on a show like Feud probably doesn't significantly affect the budget one way or the other.  A team is either going to win the bonus or not win the bonus, and it doesn't matter to the budget if the wins all go to one family or to a bunch of different families.  A good family with a string of wins under their belts might have a marginally better chance to win the bonuses more often, but there are ways to adjust the difficulty of that too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243506\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 12:54 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 01:44 PM\']* Increase the number of rounds per game. Three is nowhere near enough, and no Sudden Death crap either. Back in the day, those families had to earn their $200/$300/$400 -- even if it took seven rounds![/quote]
The 300 rule is fine with the 21 minutes and change they have, and I actually don't mind the sudden death rule. Besides, you have the Bullseye game, so the only way they'd pull off your idea is by either dropping Bullseye or making the show an hour long. Would you rather go back to the flawed one strike Triple round?
[/quote]

You could squeeze another round in IF you 86'ed the Bullseye round AND the "let's pick a spot in the studio backlot, hang up a FF sign and have the family make a home-movie-esque introduction of themselves" segments. And while they're at it, let's just get back to "simple" survey questions ("Name a side dish you'd bring to a summer BBQ") instead of turning them into elaborate questions ("If you were invited to Garth Brooks' ranch for a good-old western cookout, name a type of food you would bring to share").

* Related to the above, award a car after every fifth game a family wins. It's just common sense.

I say get rid of the 5-wins-for-a-car perk and just concentrate on a flat $20-25K per Fast Money win.  And let the families stay on until defeated. If they win enough games, they can buy their own freakin' cars and then not have to fight over the ONE car they win!!!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'243493\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 12:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'243492\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:56 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'243491\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:54 AM\'][quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'243488\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 11:07 AM\']is technology good enough nowadays to make a giant trilon of HD monitors?[/quote]Isn't that what they did on Gameshow Marathon?[/quote]Ahh no, I believe that was CGI on a projection screen[/quote]Tis true. It was a modified version of Todd Robinson's Family Feud Software.[/quote]
My mistake...I was reading it as "making a monitor act like a trilon."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'243519\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 04:47 PM\']Also, another hint.. don't know is this is strong enough to go by, but in the picture of Steve Harvey with the add for Comfort Inn Family Reunion Sweepstakes, it has a more retro-ish' survey board as well.[/quote]If we saw the same ad, then I'm not looking too much into it. Unless, of course, you saw something more elaborate than this....

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243514\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 03:35 PM\']I admit this shouldn't have been first...or at all.//...Yeah, that was too high.//I forgot about runtimes.//Okay, NOT common sense and DEFINITELY not a car, as was explained.[/quote]
You do this every time you post...you type without thinking, and when you get called out, you rescind everything you say. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of your posting in the fist place? I'd rather you post less and smarter than to post more often with little substance. I don't think I'm alone on this.

Don't reply to this with a long apology about how you have a tendency to shoot your mouth off, either. It's not necessary.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:37:51 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'243497\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:44 AM\'](and, some would say, much more "sterile").[/quote] Who is this "some"?

I'm not going to rag on you because you haven't ever budgeted, or produced a game show. I haven't either.

But seriously, the most important thing is the rules. The only things I suggest changing are...
* Return the Lollipop Trees, with a black stem awarding a $250 bonus. I know it's silly, but you guys have been returning a classic element each season. Not only do they add a bit more color to the set, and may award a family some extra cash, but any lollipops drawn would not be replaced until a black-stemmed one is found (even if a new family comes in), increasing the odds of awarding the bonus.
Why does the dollar amount matter? Why can't it be $50, or $500, or have the person pull a ball from a huge drum with numbers from 1 to 118? Why should the odds get better the longer it has been since the Family on Stage Right pulled a lucky lolly?

* Increase the goal to $400. Yes, dollars. Time to make the main-game a little more relevant!
Relevant to what, exactly? You have to win to play for the big money. That's pretty flipping relevant.

* Increase the number of rounds per game. Three is nowhere near enough, and no Sudden Death crap either. Back in the day, those families had to earn their $200/$300/$400 -- even if it took seven rounds!
Here's the thing: since Family Feud is played to a point goal and not to time or a particular number of rounds, Family Feud is essentially a one-round game. If you win the last round of the show, you win the game. Everything else is a practice.

and as to your comment about earning $200/$300/$400, it was frequent that a game would be won in three rounds when the goal was $200. So they cut back Richard's monologue time and lengthened the game play.

Having hosted Family Feud at game nights, and at Christmas parties, I can tell you that even when you remove the opportunity of winning thousands of dollars, the game is still fun. People want to hear the CLANG! of the board (even metaphorically) and to laugh or shake their head at the questions and answers.

Seven rounds makes six of the rounds completely worthless, and it means you have to barnstorm through the tensest portion of the game. This would actually be an easy fix, because on the last month of shows I saw, there were always six, seven or eight answers on the board. I long for the days when you'd see top three answers on the board, and the split was 78/15/6, so that there'd be a winner after that.

* No returning-championship limit. Having a limit makes you look behind the times,
Shenanigans. SheNANigans, Officer Barbrady. On Jeopardy or Joker's Wild, you get to know a single contestant over the course of however long their championship tenure is. On Family Feud, if you aren't the captain, your time on the show is either at the buzzer or saying "Good answer!" Players on Family Feud are interchangeable cogs.

* Related to the above, award a car after every fifth game a family wins. It's just common sense.
You, sir, are not in a position to chastise others about common sense. Jeopardy has no limit, but hasn't given away cars for years.

----

I'd like more content, too, but there's not really a great way to do tihat without hacking the show even more. For that matter, if the days of "HER BEWBS- 92" being on the board are gone, I could put up with a lot of crappe.
Travis L. Eberle

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
Okay, how about a couple small fixes that might actually be interesting...

Dump Bullseye and the car and institute the Bert's Family Feud version of Fast Money.  Basically, it accomplishes the same thing as Bullseye, and doesn't waste a segment to do it.   And I LIKE Bullseye for the record.   And frankly, I just don't see the logic in offering a car on a team game, family or no, especially something other than a station wagon or an SUV.

Dump the stupid family intro videos and make Steve Harvey actually interview the families.
 I'm hoping they already thought of this.  One of the things I didn't like about John O'Hurley was that he always had this air about him when he dealt with the contestants that said, "ewwww, commoners.  Get away from me."  I think that's the real reason they instituted those dumb videos...so he wouldn't have to try to talk to them.  Harvey on the hand strikes me as a far more warmer and sociable fellow.  I can only hope he'll have a better level skill in interacting with the families.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'243548\' date=\'Jul 3 2010, 10:34 AM\']I think that's the real reason they instituted those dumb videos...so he wouldn't have to try to talk to them.[/quote]Oooor it's a lot quicker to have a 20-second pre-packaged video than to be at the whim of the contestant's pacing with an interview? It's all about time saving, people.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
If all we get to hear is "and my brother Cletus," then why bother introducing the team members at all? "Here's the Smith family! Here's the Jones family! It's time to play The Family Feud!"
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'243488\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:07 AM\']Well, I guess the move to Orlando also means its time for a new set, according to the FF Twitter feed, and I'm starting to think it may be a bit more retro-inspired than the current one (well, thenagain the O'Hurley set was supposed to be a modernization of the Dawson/Combs-era set)

Firstly, a tweet specifically mentioned a new set had been built, which is a no-brainer, but then it asked us if we remembered "this", and the resulting link for "this" was a screencap of the titlecard from the Dawson version. I'm starting to suspect something might be going on here, is technology good enough nowadays to make a giant trilon of HD monitors?[/quote]

By "giant trilon of HD monitors" do you mean Donny Osmond Pyramid with the rising monitors in the Winner's Circle?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'243554\' date=\'Jul 3 2010, 01:36 PM\'][quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'243548\' date=\'Jul 3 2010, 10:34 AM\']I think that's the real reason they instituted those dumb videos...so he wouldn't have to try to talk to them.[/quote]Oooor it's a lot quicker to have a 20-second pre-packaged video than to be at the whim of the contestant's pacing with an interview? It's all about time saving, people.
[/quote]
I don't think the videos saved any time at all; it seemed like it was just something to spice up the show.

LOUIE/RICHARD/JOHN/STEVE: Welcome...introduce us to the Johnsons...
CAPTAIN: This here is my doting husband Gary, sister Rhonda, son Gregory, and daughter Paula!

(cheers)

I just timed that out and it was under ten seconds, and it cut to the chase. You can find out what the team members do when Steve comes to them during the survey question...

/LOUIE: What do you do?
//CONTESTANT: I'm a lawyer.
///LOUIE: Get a rope!
////From the first episode back in Sept. 1999
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:56:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Lirodon

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SuperMatch93\' post=\'243556\' date=\'Jul 3 2010, 02:44 PM\'][quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'243488\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:07 AM\']Well, I guess the move to Orlando also means its time for a new set, according to the FF Twitter feed, and I'm starting to think it may be a bit more retro-inspired than the current one (well, thenagain the O'Hurley set was supposed to be a modernization of the Dawson/Combs-era set)

By "giant trilon of HD monitors" do you mean Donny Osmond Pyramid with the rising monitors in the Winner's Circle?
[/quote]

No I mean literally, a giant triangle of 3 HD monitors. Like the old old board. Not like Donnymid.

SamPrainito

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
No I mean literally, a giant triangle of 3 HD monitors. Like the old old board. Not like Donnymid.
I'm all for anything that gets back to the "needlepoint/fiddle music" roots of the show.  I've always said that's what makes it "Family Feud".  Without it, it's "Family Fortunes".

But why would they need three monitors?  They could get by just fine with one.  

I'd be willing to be they go back to the mechanical "flipping" board, and use a monitor for Fast Money.