Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: World's Wackiest Game Shows  (Read 1923 times)

Matt Ottinger

World's Wackiest Game Shows
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
A story in Thursday's USA TODAY.  

Scroll down a bit for our stuff, though there's not a lot of detail.  Traditionalists will approve of the host, who says, "People into game shows are going to find us."  I'm doing my part.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Loogaroo

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:17 PM »
Sounds a lot like the show that Travel Channel was going to do with Newton playing as a contestant on various game shows around the world. By my recollection, they did one episode in Japan and that was all.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'242704\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:58 PM\']Sounds a lot like the show that Travel Channel was going to do with Newton playing as a contestant on various game shows around the world. By my recollection, they did one episode in Japan and that was all.[/quote]
I'd be interested to see how much the show plays into stereotypes.  That was part of the reason I couldn't really watch Wipeout or I Survived a Japanese Game Show.

/That, and I find them both insipid
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:19:43 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:04:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'242704\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 07:58 PM\']Sounds a lot like the show that Travel Channel was going to do with Newton playing as a contestant on various game shows around the world. By my recollection, they did one episode in Japan and that was all.[/quote]
Yes. Good memory! Japan was the pilot. With a little re-tooling the show finally got its pick-up. Congrats to Todd!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Lirodon

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
Meh, this should have been on GSN, I don't get the same Travel Channel you do in Canada.

But this might sound fun...

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
My first thought when I saw this, and the network? "Oh, a clip special! Neat!"

But an actual show? This could be good. At least Todd is hosting it. I just mean the format may not be engaging. I guess we'll see!